George Carlin: 1937-2008

Rest in peace, Mr. Carlin.

George Carlin, the award-winning comedian, actor, and author responsible for one of the most groundbreaking routines in the history of American comedy, has passed away at the age of 71.

According to Carlin's publicist, Jeff Abraham, Carlin -- who had a history of heart problems -- checked into the hospital yesterday complaining of chest pain. The Associated Press put Carlin's time of death at 5:55 PM.

Though he often shrugged off attempts to label him as a "difference-maker" in American culture, Carlin's 1972 routine, "Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television," sparked an indecency debate that went all the way to the Supreme Court.

Though he was best known for his standup routine -- and starred in more than a dozen HBO comedy specials -- Carlin also found time to write several books and star in an assortment of television shows (he was the first host of Saturday Night Live) and movies. His most recent screen work took place behind the scenes, in the form of voicework for Cars and Happily N'Ever After, but he also made well-received appearances in films such as Dogma and Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Carlin also accumulated a number of honors throughout his career, including four Grammy Awards, five Emmy nominations, and the 2008 Mark Twain Prize for American Humor. In announcing the Mark Twain Prize, Stephen Schwarzman, the Kennedy Center Chairman, had this to say about Carlin:

In his lengthy career as a comedian, writer, and actor, George Carlin has not only made us laugh, but he makes us think. His influence on the next generation of comics has been far-reaching.

Carlin is survived by his wife, Sally Wade, and his daughter, Kelly Carlin McCall.

Source: CNN

Comments

caboose388

Johnathon Lee

One of the greatest comics of all time is no more. George is what other comics only dream of being. RIP

Jun 23 - 07:03 AM

bijibadness

Biji Badness

well, at least we have present-day masters like Dane Cook and Carlos Mencia to carry on his legacy, even perhaps better it? (total and disgusted sarcasm)

Jun 23 - 12:12 PM

LordVapor

Justin Quarterman

You will be so missed. I grew up watching you, and I truly believe my appreciation and love of comedy, and many of the things I truly find funny, were due in part to you...GodSpeed, and R.I.P.

"Hey, if it will get me a couple hundred miles down the road, I'll take a shot in the mouth" LOL LOL LOL, From his lines in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

Jun 23 - 07:23 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

Wow....I am totally stunned. RIP.

Jun 23 - 07:23 AM

lestatthevampire

Tyler D

R.I.P.
Funny man...

Jun 23 - 07:30 AM

Shatter24

Jeremiah Rancourt

Heartbreaking news. A generation of incredible entertainers are passing away, and are ultimately irreplaciable. He stuck to his guns and wasn't a guy that flinched and softened as he got older, that I respect. Hopefully, if there is a higher power, he has a sense of humor.

Jun 23 - 07:35 AM

onepiece226

Eric Cormier

He's the reason I know all of the swears of today.....

When I was 8 my cousin let me watch him on an HBO special, and from then on I knew all of the swears, and I also knew one of the funniest men alive.
George Carlin is a one of a kind guy and there's no guy funnier! and no DANE COOK IS NOT FUNNY!!!!!

Long Live The Carlin

Jun 23 - 07:44 AM

cypress550

jeremy burnside

funny man thats too bad R.I.P george

Jun 23 - 07:56 AM

meatcake

Brandon Luna

Man, Carlin is a comedy GOD! I got to see him live about 8 years ago and it was hands down the funniest stand up I have ever seen. He had wit, humor and intelligence that was 2nd to none. Comedy couldn't keep up with Carlin, and as far as I am concerned, smart humor died with him.

Jun 23 - 08:02 AM

smi1ey

Matt Dunn

He will be missed, that's for sure. One of the funniest men in existence.

Jun 23 - 08:17 AM

canidrinkit

D Wee

A true genius in his early days. Remember lifting my brothers "Class Clown" when my parents weren't home, and listing to the infamous 7 words. Also his early HBO specials were incredible, and was one of the main reasons I actually subscribed to the channel. But man, these last few years, in his older years.....well, he certainly had a different style and outlook on life. I do still have truly fond memories of this man from my youth, and will alsways remember the nights in the basement with my buddies laughing to those albums.

Jun 23 - 08:17 AM

jukeboxhero6660

Daren Fowler

When I heard about this this morning I went and watched some clips on youtube, and I almost cried at the lose of this guy, and I almost fell out of my seat laughing (and I had seen the clips many times before). he was one of the funniest guys...ever and I loved listening to him rant and rave, I read all his books (always at times where silence was needed, but silence is impossible when reading Carlin). So many great talents, from all parts of entertainment, have passed this year and out of all of them this is the hardest.
R.I.P Rufus

Jun 23 - 08:23 AM

brokendesireltd

Jonathan Rollins

Grew up watching George on HBO, saw him live in '83, and there was no funnier comedian in the world. You will be missed, and rest in peace Mr. Carlin.

Jun 23 - 08:25 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

I knew it was only a matter of time. But funny how when it happens, you still never expected it to be THAT morning you'd wake up and see a headline with that fateful birth-death year caption behind a great entertainer's name. R.I.P., George. Thanks for never going soft on us, for never letting them neuter you.

The last comedy elder standing is now Bill Cosby.

Jun 23 - 08:34 AM

smi1ey

Matt Dunn

Does anyone else remember him as the conductor on that crappy "Shining Time Station" show on PBS? (aka, Thomas the Tankengine) lol good times.

Jun 23 - 08:48 AM

xenogears

J'rome Holmes II

Damn!!!!!!!! Pryor, Dangerfield, now Carlin! He was brilliant and lude at the same time. A true master. Even in his old age he was still Kickin' A$s. All the daring comic masterminds, the true originators of american comedy stan up as we know it are gone!

"..All my hereos are dead and gone, sold there sorrows to the ones who paid the most. All my heroes have now become ghosts, but here inside of me, they still live on..."

Jun 23 - 09:02 AM

PilotLite

Pilot Lite

xenogears...you read my mind...almost verbatim.

Pryor, Dangerfield...now Carlin. This sucks.

Jun 23 - 09:25 AM

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

RIP I can't believe he's gone, one of the all time greatest. And this horrible year of deaths continues, and some how Kirk Douglas is still going. Ah the good old unwritten book of the road.

Jun 23 - 09:05 AM

thereign

lance berry

Goodbye, George. You were the inspiration for a generation desperate for something new, and you never truly grew old. Dozens have tried to imitate your form & style over the years: all have failed. There can only be one George Carlin.

Two final thoughts: First, to Shatter24...I believe God has a sense of humor. After all, he created humans, didn't he? Also, I think George & God's first meeting probably went like this:

George: Holy shi.t! This place does exist! You're real!

God: Yep. (offers hand) That was some funny stuff. I never asked you to hold back, so don't stop now. I'm looking forward to you knocking the place dead up here for a long time to come.

R.I.P. George. You were a friend and a comedic vanguard to us all. I can't think of a single comedian whose passing would affect me more.

Jun 23 - 09:05 AM

dahluzz

joe shmo

wow, this sucks. read his book 'brain droppings' if you haven't. it's a good example of how brilliantly simple some of his observations on life were. things we've all thought before but could never articulate with such direct, biting wit. the guy was one-of-kinda and he'll be missed.

Jun 23 - 09:20 AM

PilotLite

Pilot Lite

xenogears...you read my mind...almost verbatim.

Pryor, Dangerfield...now Carlin. This sucks.

Jun 23 - 09:25 AM

JojoTR

John Phillips

Simple observation: The world just became less funny.

Jun 23 - 09:25 AM

Young Turk

Joe Massino

I don't know about the world but my day just became less funny...

George Carlin you will be missed, seriously missed. R.I.P

Jun 23 - 11:51 AM

Movies for Tax Day
Movies for Tax Day

Your tax dollars at work, in movies.

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies