Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure Reviews

½ August 25, 2007
This could quite possibly be one of the most original and well created comicbook style movie franchises that didn't actually start out originally as a comicbook. Yep believe it or not this cult franchise started out with the first film which was ingeniously written by two fellas called Matheson and Solomon, this film was not adapted from a comicbook source.

I used to watch this film when I was still in school back in the day, it was massive! I adored it and watched it all the time. The basic premise is so simple yet the film has been so well crafted I fail to see how anyone can not enjoy it. Bill and Ted are a couple of metalhead school flunks in the present day, yet through a bizarre series of events both will eventually become the inspirational 'Great Ones' that changed the human race into a peaceful utopian society...through their music. The problem is if they don't pass their history class Ted will get shipped off to military academy and this future will never happen. Enter 'Rufus' to help and assist the bumbling duo in passing their final history test/exam thing.

Watching this recently I guess the main things that stand out to me are...well actually there are a lot of things that stood out and still hold up today. The visuals are great fun, sure its not as colourful as the sequel but I'm still really impressed at how good each period looks mainly. The duo travel across a few eras and I must say everything looks pretty darn good considering this was a bit of a tacky throw away teen flick. Each period is only seen briefly but it all holds up even though you might only see a single room or street. For example when they pick up Beethoven we see a really elegant 18th Century room full of aristocrats or noble folk and it looks good, believable. There's a real castle with a nice interior for 15th Century England (God knows where), a small taste of ancient Greece with pillars and statues, a section of a wild west town etc...My point is they clearly have had to stretch and struggle to create each period but full kudos to them as it all looks amazingly solid.

Not everything looks that good these days of course, some of the periods are a bit thin on the ground visually eg. Napoleon's war camp, prehistoric San Dimas and Genghis Khan's tent which is obviously an easy cover for not showing anything else. But again on the plus side all the costumes look really good and the casting is really good too. I still found Terry Camilleri's subtle performance as Napoleon to be hilarious with his little French mutterings and facial expressions, he fit this role like a glove, brilliant!. All the other cast really do look good with some nice makeup work, Abe Lincoln is especially good looks and performance wise, as is Beethoven and the almost mute Socrates. Honourable mention to Al Leong as Genghis Khan. Despite the age and silliness of this film I have no issues with any of the historical elements really. I'm just amazed it does look as good as it does because we all know how shitty these things can look with less care.

I mean apart from the joyous adventure there is so much to praise here. The soundtrack is awesome, pure awesomeness, yeah its totally 80's of course but if you like 80's tunage then you'll love this selection. There are some truly electric sequences which are bitchin' simply down to the musical track that accompanies them. Add to that the full on retro vibe going on here, I just love every minute of it, the sneakers, cars, tunes, technology, clothes etc...there is one scene where Billy the Kid and Socrates try to chat up these two girls in the mall. Oh my these girls are visually the epitome of the 80's, not that that's a surprise of course but little things like this brings the memories flooding back and really helped me enjoy the film. Oh and my God one of them is super cute!.

Admittedly the film does take a bit of a dive as you near the end. The whole history test thing they gotta take always did seem evil to me, what kind of high school test involves standing in front of an entire hall full of students and giving a lecture on history?! Jesus!. And lets be honest here, the presentation Bill and Ted give is pretty nondescript really, it is essentially a bunch of people giving them a pat on the back, its more of a magic show. There are bits I could pick at throughout the film like the fact they somehow manage to squeeze so many people into one phone booth and when they drop all the famous history figures back into their own times wouldn't their new knowledge and visions of the future change history dramatically?.

But lets be honest here, this film isn't anything more than a wild ride that probably wasn't expected to do much more than hit the videoshop shelves and rot (many similar teen flicks over the years did just that, 'Bio-Dome' anyone). There's a reason the franchise became a cult and that's because this first film is so damn enjoyable. The cool phone booth concept is genius, the ultra cool Rufus played by Carlin, the quirky and amusing looking 2688 future humans and of course the iconic dialog which has become a part of modern pop culture and predates the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles pizza surfing spiel. A most triumphant time travel fantasy which is pretty much a hidden gem these days, full of surprises and a franchise that Keanu Reeves was actually perfectly cast for.
October 3, 2010
The chemistry between Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter is terrific, as they are two carefree high school seniors who are given the opportunity to travel back in time in order to pass their history assignment and stay together in order to become the greatest rock band in history, as they are known for in the future. This wackiness of the their adventures is definitely expressed with perfection on screen, and the set pieces are very well put together. I actually believed that I was travelling back into ancient times. Sure, the effects are dated, the comedy is overly silly, and the premise is quirky, but "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" is way too much fun to pass up. This film is most awesome!
TheDudeLebowski65
½ October 16, 2011
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure is a fun, brainless and entertaining comedy. The film surrounds two metalheads that happen to almost graduate, but unfortunately they are about to fail unless they pass a final history presentation. Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure is a funny comedy that is very entertaining and has some good laughs. Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter are great in this film, and they have good chemistry. The film follows the duo as they go back in time to collect historical people for their project in order for them to pass. This is a fun comedy that is a must see with friends, and has plenty of laughs. The film is fairly original, and it's always amusing. I enjoyed this film, and thought it was a terrific comedy. Despite the fact that at times, it's idiotic, it's all in good fun, and the end result is a film that is very entertaining and fun. Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure is a good comedy that boasts a good cast, a witty script and has enough momentum to be entertaining for the viewer. This isn't a flawless comedy, but this is still a good enough film to enjoy. The film is a pleasant time waster, and one of those late 80's comedies that still remains fun after all these years. Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure is a good comedy with a good cast and is a perfect comedy to watch with a gang of friends. This simply pure fun and it definitely delivers that and more.
DreamExtractor
August 17, 2011
I actually enjoyed this movie, even if it was boring. It was funny, idiotic, and mostly cliche jokes, but it was still good.
September 6, 2010
Excellent! Okay, this movie isn't totally excellent, but it is really good. It's funny and full of adventure and teenage fun. It's goofy and silly, but in a good way.
January 25, 2011
One of the many classic 80s adventures. This has one of Keanu Reeves' most most memorable and hilarious characters, but that is not to say that Bill isn't a vital part of this movie too. It's just such a kooky premise that would only work in the context of when it was released. The comedy is really good and I still laugh every time.
cosmo313
½ June 9, 2006
I saw this a super long time ago at a very young age before I really got into history, and don't remember a whole lot about it, other than it made me laugh. Some of it undoubtedly went over my head though. I'm sure if I watched it now I probably would not like it as much, but it's at least good to see that Keanu used to express emotions and not just be a bland robot.
August 3, 2010
Jack-Ass mixed with Pauly Shore, if you like ridiculous comedy and feel good story, you'll like this little gem.
ScoopOnline
December 11, 2009
Timeless Adventure Movie a 25 Keanu Reeves playing a Teenage. lol
TomBowler
August 2, 2009
when you look back at movies in the 80s, they're not always as good as you thought they were at the time. this film, however, still stands up under today's scrutiny. brilliant. in fact, EXCELLENT!!
½ December 28, 2006
A pretty fun buddy comedy about two guys who just need to pass history. The whole time travel plot is cool and they didn't waste money on dressing up the various times they visit.
The acting works and the music fits the flick perfectly.
½ May 30, 2006
Billy the Kid: Not bad, eh, Socrates? Where are we, dude?
Bill: England, 15th century.
Ted: We are in most excellent shape for our report.
Bill: Yeah, all we need is one more speaker from medieval.
Billy the Kid: Excellent.
Bill: Billy, you are dealing with the oddity of time travel with the greatest of ease.

A time travel movie starring two idiots that is a lot smarter than it probably should be, but it's not a bad thing.

Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter star as Bill and Ted, two slackers more concerned with getting their talentless band off the ground than finishing high school. Little do they know that the future depends on these two staying together to make excellent music, so with the help from a friend in the future, Rufus played by George Carlin, the two are given a time machine in the form of a phone booth in order to go back in time and borrow a number of famous figures for their final history report.

There are so many ways to look at this out of spite, but that is not fun at all and that is what this movie is about, having fun. So look past what doesn't make sense and aim for what really matters - two dudes traveling through time and interacting in these various places. Add to that some time travel logic that is actually fairly solid and different from Back to the Future in terms of its rules, giving it some originality.

This is just a fun and fast paced movie, and to me, that is excellent.

Abraham Lincoln: Fourscore and...
[looks at his pocket watch]
Abraham Lincoln: seven minutes ago... we, your forefathers, were brought forth upon a most excellent adventure conceived by our new friends, Bill... and Ted. These two great gentlemen are dedicated to a proposition which was true in my time, just as it's true today. Be excellent to each other. And... PARTY ON, DUDES!
FilmFanatik
March 25, 2007
This movie never gets old.
movieguru12
February 19, 2008
Hillarious comedy. Alex Winter amd Keaneu Reeves are funny. "Who is Joan of Arc" "Noahs wife". Great movie!!!
June 18, 2008
Best acting Keanu has ever done.
thmtsang
July 13, 2007
Bill and Ted are two goofy kids about to fail their history assignment. It's a race against time with the aid of a time travel machine.
Chiefilms
½ March 1, 2008
Probably about 100 words in the script but the title of the film is a perfect description of the plot.
CloudStrife84
½ April 8, 2007
Quite wacky and random, altough pretty funny overall. It also features a teenage Keaunu Reeves, who here shows that he was once a very enthusiastic actor, before becoming the stale and dead-faced piece of plank that he is today (altough his acting is most often on an acceptable level).

The word "excellent" is used a lot in this movie, but sadly it doesn't quite apply to its story and script. But it's good fun nevertheless and time travel flicks never get old in my book.
sanjurosamurai
January 4, 2007
classic, one of the greats from the 80s. actually sort of epic considering all that went into this movie, funny stuff.
July 30, 2007
Alex Winter is wishing he could have the blown the same guy Keanu did.