The Birdcage Reviews

July 20, 2015
Hilarious and original remake of the French original!
August 18, 2014
I would love to see the stage play.
½ June 28, 2015
Good for a few laughs, but moves at a snail's pace and doesn't have enough jokes to flesh out its length screen time. Nathan Lane's character is a conglomeration of every negative gay stereotype and is cringe-inducing more often than funny.
May 16, 2015
Hysterical, and has an important message that isn't condescending.
½ June 7, 2015
A very well-acted film. Does a good job in dealing with a highly sensitive issue. Major props to Lane, Williams (RIP), and Hackman for their fine work here.
½ May 24, 2015
What made sense and was really funny in the 1979 French film feels unbelievable and almost homophobic in 1996. Not only is unbelievable that these gay parents would go along with their son's desire to hide the truth, it is filled with self-loathing that annoys me to this day. Even the skilled comedic performances can't hide the fact that this movie feels like it is stuck in a whole other era unrelated to the mid-1990's.
May 12, 2015
Amazing movie!! Just watched it again the other day!
½ May 5, 2015
Tremendous performances from Nathan Lane and Robin Williams in this awkward comedy. Great pacing and mood throughout, very typically Miami. One weakness is the below par efforts from Futterman and Flockheart.
February 27, 2011
Entertaining...in spells. Also quite silly and/or dull in spells.

Had the potential to be a very good comedy, as well as comment on bigotry and homophobia. In the end is a decent, but not great comedy. Some of the dialogue is very funny, but the movie often teeters on the edge of descending into pointless farce. Some of the gags and sub-plots go nowhere.

While taking a small stab at right-wing conservatism, the movie isn't that profound in terms of dealing with homophobia. Admittedly it is a comedy, not a drama, but set-up was already there.

Good performances by Robin Williams and Nathan Lane in the lead roles. Good support from Gene Hackman, Dianne Wiest, Hank Azaria, Calista Flockhart, Dan Flutterman and Christine Baranski.
½ April 27, 2015
Williams gives way and lets Lane steal this show....very funny.
½ August 16, 2014
This is a classic comedy which will keep you amused and laughing throughout. Robin Williams is good but it's Nathan Lane who steals the show. The ending featuring Gene Hackman is simply brilliant. My favourite film of 1996.
September 9, 2014
I never saw it until after Robin Williams' death, so I hope I don't end up in the pitfall of looking at his movies as more amazing than they actually were. If so, so be it. This movie was an absolute blast. Not only is Robin Williams good, but fucking Nathan Lane kills it! He's really underrated. The final 40 minutes are pretty suspenseful because you know the weight of the situation is going to come crashing down on the main characters. This is a movie I'll watch again and again.
February 21, 2015
one of all time fave pics I can watch it over & over
½ February 14, 2015
Did not understand this film at all. I like Mike Nichols and all the stars in the film but I kept watching this hoping to laugh. I did not laugh. It must be the French idea of a funny movie. For me and me alone apparently a waste of a great cast.
February 6, 2015
Adapted from the hit French play La Cage aux Folles by Jean Poiret, which was made into a 1978 French comedy by Édouard Molinaro. This American remake directed by Mike Nichols and adapted by Nichols' old comedy partner Elaine May, this is a very funny comedy which has some good farcical moments throughout. It has a brilliant cast throughout with some very sharp dialogue and comic set-ups. Set in South Beach, Florida. Armand Goldman (Robin Williams) runs a drag club called The Birdcage, his domestic partner Albert (Nathan Lane) is the headliner at the club called 'Starina'. Armand's son Val (Dan Flutterman) is engaged to be married to Barbara Keeley (Calista Flockhart), whose father Senator Kevin Keeley (Gene Hackman) is a staunch Republican. After a political scandal, Kevin and his wife Louise (Dianne Wiest) need to get away, so they go to meet Val and his parents and have dinner, but when Val's mother Katherine (Christine Baranski) gets stuck in traffic. Albert comes up with a plan to ensure the dinner goes off without a hitch. It's an extremely silly film, but it manages to be a funny comedy, and it made a name out of Lane, who was a big star on Broadway until then. After his scene stealing role here, where he stole the film from Williams and everyone else, he was in big demand, and it's a positive picture of the gay culture in Florida.
February 2, 2015
It has some funny moments, but they are few and far between and the whole thing just feels tedious. The stereotypes are just so overblown.
February 1, 2015
Can't express how much I love this film Robin Williams is hilarious and I cant stop laughing at Nathan Lane as he tries to "straighten" himself out. Highly recommend.
January 20, 2015
Cute, but ran a bit too long to keep up its fun.
January 3, 2015
Funny, light entertainment......
August 27, 2009
A great film, but Nathan Lane and Robin Williams really make the film what it is. It would certainly have been a lesser movie without them.