The Black Cauldron Reviews

Jules H ½ September 28, 2014
Good animation and decent story, but rote characters and flat writing make The Black Cauldron fall shorter than it should have.
Brandon L September 24, 2014
One of Disney's "worst." Not that bad but very close. One of the many problems that this film has is that when building a world, Show it! All we see is just three locations that are not interesting and are just dull. The characters are annoying and dull. The only good thing about this movie is the Horn King but the way that he went out was uneventful. Another problem is that the animation feels out of place at some parts. Also the plot goes no where and fast. It feels like character goes here and character goes there. Things just happens just to move the plot forward. There is a good story here if we just took our time and stop holding down the fast-forward button.
Chris D ½ October 28, 2013
The Black Cauldron may be a big failure in Disney's eyes, but it's actually superior fantasy fare with its colorful animations, fun story, epic atmosphere, and highly entertaining characters.
Adam C August 8, 2014
I'm gonna take this from a kids point of a veiw because thats who this was made for. And as a kid, i was terrifeid of it don't get me wrong. Yet at the same time i loved it for not only scaring me, but giving me something more challenging than what most kids are
Bryan E July 21, 2014
The film is great in terms of it's dark tone and atmosphere.The film fails in terms of providing compelling characters and plot.
Gregory M ½ June 27, 2014
I never dreamed the day would come that I would give a Disney movie only 2,5 stars.Even some bad sequels have more interesting storyline.I really didn't like the story,though I found the characters really cute but not powerful.But the animation was breathtaking and I seriously can't stress enough how amazing a job must be done on this movie's animation!
Nathaniel S July 2, 2014
One of the darkest disney movies all around and one of my personal favorites. Extremly underrated.
Paul D June 23, 2014
Not one of Disney's best, but it gets a few points for being a bit darker in tone than usual. The animation and effects were decent for the time, but the story was not very exciting.
Rafael V ½ May 19, 2014
The animation it's good but the characters are so unlikable that ruin everything else
Nicolas P ½ March 29, 2014
To which the old movies disney regard: The forgotten classic, hardly anyone remembers it ... does not deserve oblivion.
Chantal B ½ July 7, 2013
I take it back - the film has aged somewhat poorly, something I see now that I'm older. There a few very well animated scenes, but the dislikability and superfluousness of the characters gets in the way of enjoyment, as does the meandering plot. Music is fantastic, and Gurgi and Henwen are cute.
ToDandy ToDandy ½ March 7, 2014
Though well known for it's strong characters and narrative, Disney creates a generic fantasy epic and whinny annoying lead character with this overly dark animated enterprise.
Joshua H ½ March 16, 2012
Reviews for Walt Disney Animated Studios. #25
Kaique O November 22, 2013
Is different from the classics, but it's a good classic Disney
Jazzmin M February 8, 2014
This film is okay. While I don't hate it, it is flawed. I can understand why it received the reaction it did. The characters are not very developed and the story could have been a bit more interesting considering the fact that the film is an adaptation. But the movie does have some creativity, a few comedic moments, and good animation. The Black Cauldron is certainly not one of my favorites and it could have been much better, but it did at least keep me entertained and it gave me a few elements to like. I might watch it more in the future.
Ethan K February 13, 2014
Although this is considered a disaster in the Disney canon, "The Black Cauldron" has its good moments. The animation was the first of its kind, and the character of Gurgi is extremely likable, but the story seems a bit too hard to follow at points. It definitely deserved its PG rating; there are some incredibly dark moments!
Tim W February 9, 2014
It was dark, mystical, and stylistic, but lacking. It would have been a success if it wasn't as thin or forgettable.
Hayden L. Hayden L. January 16, 2014
One of Disney's darkest and most intriguing films. The Horned King is frightening, the animation has a Gothic feel to it and the characters are well written. Though it does have its flaws it is still worth watching.
ascordeiro108 ascordeiro108
January 22, 2014
One of my favourite Disney movies.
Dark Disney alert!
filmlover1994 filmlover1994 January 16, 2014
1940's Fantasia Is My Tenth Favorite Film Of All Time.