Black Rock Reviews

Harlequin68
½ April 28, 2015
In "Black Rock," everything goes well at first for Sarah(Kate Bosworth) and Louise(Lake Bell) when they travel to a favorite island from their childhood. At least until Louise finds herself ambushed when it turns out that her former friend Abby(Katie Aselton, who also directed) has also been invited. Which makes all three sharing a tent kind of awkward. But blunting the pain of various and sundry betrayals is them unexpectedly encountering Henry(Will Bouvier), another childhood friend.

With her second feature "Black Rock," Katie Aselton with determined assurance turns what could have just as easily been another exploitation flick with its suspense and brutal violence into something much more meaningful, capped by a truly memorable final shot. Not only does the movie have a neatly anti-nostalgic mood, but also has quite a lot to say about the bonds of female friendship. And that's not to mention, considering the war references, some thoughtful allegory on that subject, too.
February 13, 2015
While it was somewhat predictable if and when someone was going to be picked off, I have to admit that I was pretty nervous watching this movie. Three women (and my age, not teenagers!) try to rekindle their friendship by spending time on a deserted island and when they see three men hunting deer approach, it was freaky! I guess because I'm a girl... I saw them and thought "Rape!" which is so much scarier than Predator or the Thing or some movie monster. I thought the performances were pretty "real" and the girls all acted like girls I have known. It felt short, but I got a better movie than I expected to get.
January 6, 2015
ça commence comme un film de filles...
October 27, 2014
This is probably the most out right feminist horror film (actually made by a woman) I have ever seen. One scene even has the female heroines stripped down to nothing, creating spears with twigs. The message is clear with this movie. Men are disgusting and women are flawed, but mean well. Luckily, the film manages to escape proverbial "man hate" by giving the male villains a reason to be shattered. They are war veterans dealing with serious psychological trauma. Many scenes hint at something greater like this, but what we end up with isn't the ground breaking feminist hit the filmmakers wanted. These parts are too underdeveloped to mean anything. Even so, we do get an incredibly tight and relentlessly suspenseful genre film. It may be less subtle, but it pack one hell of a punch. You care about these characters, the cinematography is gorgeous, and nothing ever feels unrealistic. Black Rock is a hell of a ride.
½ October 8, 2014
The indie horror film Black Rock delivers some intense scares, but is a little light on character and story. When three childhood friends reunion for a girls' weekend camping trip they end up crossing a group of hunters that are out for blood. Starring Kate Bosworth, Lake Bell, and Katie Aselton, the film has some talent. And the directing is remarkably gritty, which creates a lot of atmospheric tension. But not much time is given to developing the characters, which makes it hard to connect with them. Yet despite its weaknesses, Black Rock has some frightening moments and some terrifying chills.
½ September 18, 2014
i really like mark duplass and i saw that he wrote the screenplay for this, but sadly it was not that good, the characters' attitudes seem to fluctuate for no reason, the villains are over the top and unrealistic, there are a bunch of cliched moments, and despite being only 75min before credits, it still felt long, i like those 3 main actresses, but they came off annoying here
August 14, 2014
Black Rock is one of those films that I would of been just fine without ever watching. The premise is run of the mill and everything that happens is unbelievable and doesn't even make sense. The cast of women is good but the guys who are supposed to be military "bad guys" were not good choices at all. How can a group of 3 women escape and survive on an island with US Military men chasing them with guns? Sorry but that and other stuff that happens is just so far off that is makes for a bad plot. At first things were a little intense but as it went on it went downhill and by the end I just didn't care anymore what happened. I need to rant a little, about Rotten Tomatoes and their so called "Critics" This film was very bad, yet it got a 48% on RT!! This summer huge blockbusters that had amazing performances and raked in millions at the box office got rated 20-30%. It never makes sense to me and that is why I feel I need to write reviews for the average person who is not biased towards any genre, actor or director.
August 14, 2014
Bravo to see a woman directing this film (Katie Aselton) and a film with female protagonists that will attract a female audience. We have three childhood friends that reunite as adults for a women's weekend on a remote island off the coast of Maine. One of them named Abby (Katie Aselton) behaved very stupidly towards a guy they met on the island and this wrong move turns their weekend into a nightmare. Abby was the only one I disliked of the group. Sarah and Lou were smart with a good head on their shoulders. Acting was good, the film takes place mostly in one location and good editing as well. Overall, I commend the cast and crew and it is wonderful to see MORE female directors involved in film making. Recommended and available on Netflix instant streaming in HD.
½ August 11, 2014
They could have done so much more with this movie
½ August 1, 2014
The performances are strong, but "Black Rock" lacks character development and thrills.
½ July 31, 2014
The horror movie, when done right it can have you sitting on the edge of your seat, screaming, throwing popcorn at the screen or even jumping from a seated position, which is no easy task. It can also be read as the sort of film you can just write in a couple of days and throw together, ticking off the check list of cliches as you continue the film making process. If there is something that the masters of horror have taught us over its many years, its that making one is extremely difficult, visually encapsulating, conceptually sound and characters we either can get behind or characters we dislike getting their just desert. Then there are films like Black Rock... I turned onto this film due to reading it high up on someones list of top horror movies of 2013, quite frankly i wish i spent the short running time of 1 hour and 19 minutes, cleaning the house or doing my tax returns. Black Rock centers around 3 women, Abi, Lou and Sarah, who now in their early thirties have decided that in order to fix their now destroyed relationships, they will be coaxed by their friend to go to an island for a weekend to find a time capsule that they buried there, when they were 10. Once there however they bump into 3 discharged marines, who fit every marine stereotype you can think of and after a drunken night, well you can guess the rest. Where do i start? The story for one is so paper thin, so full of moments where a single decision could have changed all the bad outcomes that happen. Every 5 minutes, situations occur that not only leave you as an audience member scratching your head in amazement at why our lead characters have decided to take that precise plan of action, but who read that script at thought, yeah this will work? Who? The film bases its total existance on you rooting for the female ensemble, but everyone of them are as annoying and as detestable as the next. One of them lies about having cancer in order to get them on the island, pitting 2 friends who are now mortal enemies to set aside their differences but acts surprised when it all goes tits up. One female has cheated on her best friend with her long time partner and the other gets so drunk and cheats on her boyfriend in order to get us into the mess that the girls are in. Who are we to route for? Even in the films more desperate moments you seriously question not only the convienance of the characters being able to get along to survive but the fact that 3 war vets with rifles cant seem to kill 3 unarmed girls, at close range. This leaves us with the male ensemble who are just as detestable and shitly written as the females. We have a cutesy rapist, who is seen by his friends as a war hero, we have the sympathetic black guy, who is in no way sympathetic as he tries to kill 3 women for them defending themselves against his mate, not only that but in one of the films funnier scenes manages to fall down a hill, braking his leg and rendering him completely useless for the rest of the film. Then we have our big main bad guy who is so determined to kill these 3 women that he spits a lot, unties them to chase them down and does everything in his power to make sure the women have the upper hand. Now i'm all for strong female characters, i'm all for women being the strong protagonists and overcoming the stereotypical man. But this is just not how its done. All of these women are idiots, saved only by the fact that the males are even bigger idiots. This is not feminist empowering stuff, its border line insulting. What else is wrong with this garbage? Well most if not all of the shots are pretty bland and boring, its not shot particularly unique or stylistically, its just conventional. There are no gritty dynamic shots of our protagonists, fighting to survive in the wilderness, just overly long, stupid takes of women pretending to re-enact metal gear solid, crawling moments and more than once. The music is so out of place it does little to nothing to set any form of feel or tone to the film. Yeah i love the Kills as much as the next person but they are just the wrong music for this film. What else? Gore, there is none, in fact this film has an R rating and well, its not that brutal. Save for some foul language, the occasional punch to a females face and the small amount of blood here and there, this is a bloodless affair. Yet again, not that a horror movie needs blood to be effective, some of the best have little to none, its just for the look and rugged feel this movie should be going for, i dont get the feeling that this is gritty, more just a drunken misunderstanding by 6 idiots who in turn manage to get pretty much the majority of this group killed. Its boring, its script is mince, the cinematography is pish poor. The acting is ho hum for the best part and this just doesnt deliver by any stretch of the imagination. Want a film that does it better? Go watch Eden Lake and actually feel something by the end of it.
½ February 20, 2013
Black Rock is one of those rare films that was written by, directed by, and starring the same person. Back in the early days of film, this was common, but today it's rare. While I admire all the work a single person puts into such an effort, the truth is that most of these films turn out to be a little strange, Black Rock is no exception. Three life long best friends decide to reconnect on a weekend retreat, to a small secluded island, where they had a lot of childhood memories. Once there, they run into a pack of hunters. Testosterone and alcohol mix, leading to a vicious assault, leaving one group a member short, and the other group on the run. Katie Aselton is the Writer, Director, & star of this film and while I admire what she put into it, the truth is that it was very predictable and didn't make a whole lot of sense. First of all, these three women, as children were allowed to play on a secluded island in the middle of nowhere, without supervision? It also doesn't make sense that the hunters would be there, when there was seemingly no wildlife, and of course there had to be exactly three of them. Finally, why did three women, spending a weekend alone on a secluded island, bring enough alcohol to fuel a Todd Phillips movie? The whole thing was just a little too weird to be believable, and when you add how predictable this film was, it's just a recipe for disaster. The one thing I liked was the performance of Jay Paulson. He's usually a guy who gets bit parts and guest appearances here and there, but he was very solid and the most believable of the six characters. Aside from that this is a slow, painfully predictable, mess of a film, that really doesn't have a whole lot going for it.
July 16, 2014
Black Rock proves that the horror genre is very difficult, regardless of the actors. Here we see some Hollywood B-list celebrities playing out the same old clichés with absolutely no heart. Despite almost no violence, there was an unbelievable amount of nudity, which didn't at all add to the plot. Also, the choice of Iraq veterans as antagonists was pretty stupid. One other takeaway from the film: Katie Aselton is married to an actor, but SHE is NOT an actor. Sorry, stick to guest appearances on sitcoms, because watching you dance around naked on an island was more torture than the fate of any of the characters.
½ July 14, 2014
It was good idea ruined by a shit story and crappy characters.
July 13, 2014
Mediocrity at its best!
½ July 11, 2014
It's a sturdy, popcorn, survival-horror film with a trove of flaws. Sort of a less gritty Deliverance, with less literary intent. You'll probably be entertained the entire time, even if you never want to watch it again.
July 9, 2014
Two dimensional, undeveloped characters populate this shallow, paper thin plot that depends on a situation so contrived that it's impossible to accept or maintain interest in anything that follows.
April 17, 2014
will NEVER understand why people especially families with kids and women would want to go to a deserted island for rest & relaxation.
½ April 16, 2014
Ok, I think the writers/actors/ directors think this movie is alot cooler than it really is