66% Hercules Jul 25

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Black Rock Reviews

December 29, 2013
A combination of the Last House on the Left and The Pest, it was a short, fast-paced man-vs-woman-vs-nature story. The writing was, I think, intentionally bad in some parts and if it didn't throw you off, you appreciated the banter it caused. This is not a movie that will tell you everything about everyone before it gets going, and if you need that to associate with the characters, this might not be the film for you.

For the reviewers who say the Descent is the same thing forgets that while the Descent started strong, as soon as the zombie things showed up, they turned a taut woman-vs-nature survival story into a cheap, predictable monster action movie.
Rai  MI
December 28, 2013
This movie has the look and feel of a "B" picture. It looked like a high school or college first film attempt. The story idea was a good one, if not an original. But, the plot was poorly conceived and executed. The dialogue was badly written. There is very little to recommend it.

I was sucked in by the presence of Mark Duplass as the writer. I also noted that Kate Bosworth was involved. Neither of these actors/writers was enough to save this movie.

Save yourself some precious time and your money; don't see this flic.
zafmonkey
November 3, 2013
Black Rock tries a little irritatingly hard to seem like real girls having real talks, but once the film jumps into its terrifying situation the film really moves and works the chills
December 13, 2013
This was not as bad as I was fearing, but it's not overly good either. There is some genuine suspense in it, but also a whole lot of bad acting! Only worth watching if you love the genre.
November 18, 2013
Seen it all before and then some, but not without its moments...
November 12, 2013
This is honestly one of the best movies I've ever seen. I can only attribute the low rating to men not wanting to watch a single female centered story in a sea of male centered movies, TV shows, and media. It was well acted, well directed, and showed the depth of actual women as apposed to making them into female caricatures as movies done by male directors with male centered stories tend to do.
November 9, 2013
It seemed that Black Rock might take its very basic premise and use it as a platform to explore larger ideas. But even on its own terms as just a lean-and-mean genre exercise, this one's not all that interesting. I say RENT IT!!!
Wes Troop
November 6, 2013
Black Rock is an effective smaller film worth taking a look at.
October 23, 2013
I cant decide whether it is the acting, the writing or both which stinks about this film. Either way, once events began to turn sour I cared not which of the three of the protagonists were dispatched in whichever cruel manner.
Hamee
October 13, 2013
This was a rather predictable movie, but it was worth a watch.
Carmella
September 3, 2013
This started off promising, but I kept feeling hungry, as I am sure the characters must have felt. There was zero information given about the characters before they get together for a jaunt on a deserted island. All we know is that one woman is forcing her two friends who don't get along to go away with her. Zero character development. Ultimately, the audience does not really care about these women because we don't know anything about them. The villains are quite good, evil and more developed than the "heroes." Unfortunately, the film is sparse of background and therefore, I would not recommend it. It's a shame because the actors are all great. Then, the ending is one of those "what?" endings. Not my cup of tea.
September 30, 2013
Interesting anti-war, anti-misogyny film in a guise of a slightly undercooked thriller. Would've liked one more act for tension.
September 30, 2013
More horrible than horror. Everyone that tells you this film is bad neglected to mention how much worse it is because of the super ugly cast. Do not torture yourself or your friends.
Anthony L

September 27, 2013
The Duplass gang should stick to comedy. Black Rock is like a nasty misfired attempt at a 70's exploitation movie without really getting it. If you want to see sisters doing it for themselves in this genre then I'm afraid The Descent still remains the only film worth bothering with. I can see why they'd want to change that but this film gets character and stereotype uncomfortably wrong. Any modern film that tries to be new but still relies on the idea that all men are rapists and women have to get naked in horror films gets two big thumbs down from me. This film is pointless and would be forgettable if it weren't so annoying.
September 11, 2013
An imperfect but good-looking; smart thriller with amazonian women. I might also add that it's not without surprising texture.
August 25, 2013
We are now coming into the age where women are learning to fight back.
February 9, 2012
Just... not good. Also rapey.
September 1, 2013
it has its moments but ultimately it is a run of the mill thriller
August 27, 2013
Fairly dopey, which I find painful considering it's written by a guy I admire (Mark Duplass) and directed by his wife. In the end, it's just another "civilized people get primal when faced with adversity" flick. I think the fact that the three leads are women is meant to subversive, but the gender politics are generally pretty squirmy.
August 24, 2013
"What happened was an accident. Abby is sorry." Three friends set out for a getaway weekend on an island they used to frequent when they were younger. While they are talking they are surprised when three men who have been hunting show up at their camp site. The two groups begin talking and drinking. When a fatal accident happens the girls relaxing weekend turns into a fight for survival. There are movies that are made that you have to really pay attention to and make you think. While this is very entertaining this is not one of those kind of movies.

The movie is really nothing that deep but I did enjoy it. Be prepared for it though, some parts are very gory and a little hard to watch. On the other hand this is a "girl power" type movie so it does have that going for it. If you like movies like the Perfect Getaway then you will like this one as well. It was entertaining and a good watch but nothing that will keep you talking or thinking. Overall, fun and exciting but nothing that original. I liked it though.