42% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Black Sheep Reviews

Max O.
December 20, 2013
The premise is funny, but a over-reliance on gore and childish jokes bring the film down.
April 7, 2014
The film starts off being as bonkers as you might expect (and desire) but eventually turns into a standard monster movie.
The creature FX are quite fantastic and the concept behind the film truly entertaining.
In the end, this has elements of Dead Alive, Shaun of the Dead, plenty of gore, black humour, and a story only New Zealand (or perhaps Scotland) could truly create.
Worth checking out for fans of this kind of absurb horror comedy.
September 30, 2007
i liked it, even though it was dead alive with sheep
May 17, 2011
the premises for a good B-movie are there but they are stretched to the most demential extreme, from the genetic engineered weresheeps to the perverted sexual fetishes and the environmental movements mockery. a surprisingly enjoyable trashy movie.
February 21, 2014
"SHEEP WITH A TASTE FOR BLOOD"

- 'Black Sheep' is a 2006 horror comedy from New Zealand. It is said to be inspired by Peter Jackson's 'Bad Taste' and 'Braindead'. We have killer dogs, whales, worms, bunnies, birds, ... so why not do something with murderous sheep? I HATED this film, the story is a load of bull... and the characters are really annoying. I like the horror genre, but this was an absolute waste of time. I don't understand why people like it. The only good thing I can say about it is that the make-up artists did a very good job.

After 15 years Henry Oldfield returns to his hometown to sell his share of the family farm to his twisted brother Agnus. Henry has a phobia of sheep and wants to go as quickly as possible. Unknowingly he will have to face the horrible experiments of his brother, who wanted to create a new breed of genetically manipulated sheep. The animals whoever have developed a taste for blood. Can Henry escape his worst nightmare?
February 10, 2014
interesting and gore
December 1, 2013
Black Sheep is Slither meets American Werewolf in London. The score is good and the special effects are great. But when all is said and done.. Black Sheep is bleeeeehhh...
Gimly M

November 25, 2013
Jonathan King (Under the Mountain) made his directorial debut in 2006 with Horror/Comedy Black Sheep in New Zealand, a film about genetically altered sheep in New Zealand (which out number people 10 to 1) that go rogue and start hunting down their human masters. It features the tagline; "Get ready. For the violence of the lambs.", which is bloody brilliant in my opinion.

New Zealand's Weta Workshop, the SFX guys behind King Kong, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Xena: Warrior Princess, Daybreakers, Distric 9, Avatar, Van Helsing and 30 Days of Night worked on the SFX for Black Sheep too, and you sure as Hell notice it. The effects are out of this world. Who would've thought you could realistically go ahead with a transformation from man to "weresheep"?

Watching this, I sort of compare to to Isolation, because they're basically the same thing, done in completely different ways. (For those of you who have never seen Isolation it's a British film about genetically altered cows that kill their human masters). Where Isolation failed, was in that despite the drama of the situation, I just couldn't take it seriously, Black Sheep doesn't even try. It's plausible that King came up with the idea before deciding to make it a comedy, but this is just the way it ended up, and it works.

Though I find New Zealand accents mildly irritating, the fact that the characters actually have development begs my forgiveness, and I'm more than willing to reciprocate. It's fantastic to have a gore-ridden, uproariously funny film, where the characters are not only believable, but you actually kinda care about them. Sure there's not really anything to it but absurdist humour, but it's the perfect example of it.

Setting is a big deal to me, and though it's not on par with the cinematography of Wolf Creek or Rome, but it's beautiful enough for that one aspect for of it to hold up all on its own. It's yet another of those films I talk about often, where it's great to watch while you're drinking, where it differs though, is that even if you're sober, you'll still enjoy it.

Almost everything about it is good, but it's important to note, that if you think about any single thing in the movie on its own, you could think of another film that does it better. It's still very enjoyable, but it wasn't all together cohesive and seemed to throw away on a whim a lot of the potential that it had. For a first film though, a lot of congratulations are in order for Mr. King.

70%

-Gimly
charles s.
May 19, 2013
this is a good horror film overall, the sheep are actually pretty scary looking, and theres some slapstick humor and funny dialogue from the characters for comic relief. This movie is not great, but its an enjoyable low budget horror/comedy, and if you watch it that way, its a good movie. (by the way, if you are sensitive to excessive gore, or a little queasy, then you might not want to see this film)
Jens S

December 9, 2007
In this New Zealand horror thriller, genetically changed sheep go rampage. That shows all trademarks of Peter Jackson's early gore-fests but is not entirely as groundbreaking. While the silliness is intended its often a tad too predictable to be entirely satisfying.
September 14, 2013
sheep and rabbits are a couple of my favourite animals so a couple parts kind of hurt me to watch, but this was SO fun. should have watched it sooner.
September 14, 2013
New Zealand director/writer Jonathan King's Black Sheep is one of the better examples of how a horror/comedy should be done. While there may be little to no genuine scares, there is more than enough absurdist humor to make up for it. The acting is good enough for the genre and the action is hilariously grim, both of which are essential for this type of movie. The script does have a few holes and low points, but overall it's solid. All of that being said, this innovative picture becomes redundant and loses it's edge halfway through. The jokes become repetitive and the deadly sheep ripping throats out left and right, dare I say,monotonous. King clearly has a save-the-environment agenda behind his script, but it comes off as preposterous. Bottom line, this film will make you laugh, but in the end, there's not that much there. For genre fans, Black Sheep is a must see.
February 25, 2013
It might be ridiculous but it's entertaining in a disgusting way
July 31, 2013
Best I've seen since Slither. "Lush photography of the beautiful New Zealand hills combines with skin ripping mayhem and over-the-top humor to make one of the funniest of the new wave zombie satires yet." "This lurid lunacy is a cross-breed of animal lore and giddy gore." "Brisk, rambunctious splatter-comedy." "Impeccably filmed, echoes early Sam Raimi and Peter Jackson, but it has its own unique energy, and it's a must-see."
June 5, 2007
Greatest...Plot...Ever
garyX
garyX

June 30, 2007
An immoral farmer using illegal genetic manipulation to create a new strain of sheep gets more than he bargained for when a couple of animal rights activists accidentally release a mutant virus that turns his flock into flesh eating monsters. Black Sheep does exactly what it says on the tin. Taking its cues from zombie and werewolf films, it's a no frills comic horror film that doesn't aim for outright parody or belly laughs, instead relying on the inherent silliness of the idea. As a result I'd hardly call it hilarious, but it does have its funny moments and the film as a whole is surprisingly well done, with the cast playing it admirably straight, some very nice photography and quality effects. Very much in the tradition of countryman Peter Jackson's Bad Taste and Braindead (although a lot more reserved by comparison!) it will also appeal to fans of Sam Raimi's early work and Shaun Of The Dead. I'd like to have seen more of Tandi Wright's amusingly amoral mad scientist, but it's a well made irreverant monster mash that rarely fails to entertain.
Connor G.
May 27, 2012
This is a truly awful movie, but it has its fun moments. Still not worth watching.
wardlatrice
June 12, 2013
This is a very good movie ! Watched it at least 6x ! Must see !!!!!!
June 7, 2013
this was a werid movie
May 28, 2013
you get what you expect. zombie sheep. rediculous/hillarious