Black Sheep - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Black Sheep Reviews

January 16, 2016
Insane, bloody and hilarious. Original and extremly entertaining. Black sheep is B-movie gold!
October 7, 2015
When experimentation with sheep genetics gets out of hand, a sickness quickly spreads throughout the flock. With the help of a laughably 'alternative' animal rights activist and a loyal farmhand, Henry must save his family's farm and prevent this ovine blight from destroying everything he loves. If that doesn't make you at least curious then I don't know what will. Yes, it's like every other 'so bizarre it's funny' B-movie horror, but there are some genuinely hilarious lines in there.
With aspects of Cronenbergian body horror, the practical effects were fairly impressive considering the budget it must have had. A bit of work on the writing and some higher calibre actors, and this film would have achieved even greater heights of self-aware, tongue-in-cheek madness.
October 4, 2015
an acceptable horror flick. a bit too puerile for me at times. beautiful locations and cool sheep.
September 2, 2015
WOW......WOW.....WOW.....SO SO SO SO SO BAD......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH.......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS IT IS THAT BAD.....JUST DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE IT IS SO AWFUL.......ITS GOT A GOOD SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.....BUT MAN THIS MOVIE IS SO SO SO AWFUL 2 WATCH
November 25, 2013
Jonathan King made his directorial debut in 2006 with Horror/Comedy Black Sheep in New Zealand, a film about genetically altered sheep in New Zealand (which out number people 10 to 1) that go rogue and start hunting down their human masters. It features the tagline; "Get ready. For the violence of the lambs.", which is bloody brilliant in my opinion.

New Zealand's Weta Workshop, the SFX guys behind King Kong, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Xena, Daybreakers, Distric 9, Avatar, Van Helsing and 30 Days of Night worked on the SFX for Black Sheep too, and you sure as Hell notice it. The effects are out of this world. Who would've thought you could realistically go ahead with a transformation from man to "weresheep"?

Watching this, I sort of compared it to to Isolation, because they're basically the same thing, done in completely different ways. (For those of you who have never seen Isolation it's a British film about genetically altered cows that kill their human masters). Where Isolation failed, was in that despite the drama of the situation, I just couldn't take it seriously, Black Sheep doesn't even try. I suppose it's plausible that King came up with the idea before deciding to make it a comedy, and this is just the way it ended up, but it works.

Though I find New Zealand accents mildly irritating, the fact that the characters actually have development begs my forgiveness, and I'm more than willing to reciprocate. It's fantastic to have a gore-ridden, uproariously funny film, where the characters are not only believable, but you actually kinda care about them. Sure there's not really anything to it other than absurdist humour, but it's the perfect example of it.

Setting is a big deal to me, and though it's not on par with the cinematography of Wolf Creek or Rome, but it's beautiful enough for that one aspect for of it to hold up all on its own. It's yet another of those films I talk about often, where it's great to watch while you're drinking, where it differs though, is that even if you're sober, you'll still enjoy it, albeit, less so.

Almost everything about it is good, but it's important to note, that if you think about any single thing in the movie on its own, you could think of another film that does it better. It's still very enjoyable, but it wasn't all together cohesive and seemed to throw away on a whim a lot of the potential that it had. For a first film though, a lot of congratulations are in order for Mr. King.

-Gimly
½ April 21, 2015
The only people who would enjoy this movie are the ones with the lame sense of humour.. It's obvious this movie isn't a serious "horror" movie, and pretty much a joke of a film. I wouldn't watch this movie again.
November 10, 2007
It's got to be pure comedy ... when sheep go baaaa'd!
½ March 28, 2015
Black Sheep is an enjoyable gory horror movie with great makeup effects and a premise that gets crazier and crazier. Check it out
February 15, 2013
Deranged killer man eating sheep, sheep?! there are only two countries in the world where you could imagine this being set, Wales or New Zealand. I will spare you the obligatory sheep shagging jokes despite the fact this film actually uses that crude old low brow country laugh for the backstory of one main character.

So a dodgy sheep owner on a farm is carrying out dodgy genetic experiments on his sheep to turn them into carnivores. Naturally a couple of people steal a mutant lamb to try and expose this but they accidentally release it causing a mass infection of the sheep.

So its pretty much any infectious zombie flick you can think of but replace dead humans with mutated sheep. Sounds insane and it is, but I guess animals of such vast numbers like sheep, cows, chickens, pigs etc...would be perfect for this type of genre. If you think about it they are the most unlikely creatures that humans would be worried about, so there would be the under estimation of danger along with their sheer numbers.

This film is labelled as a horror comedy and has clearly been influenced by 'American Werewolf in London'. The sheep are like weresheep, their bite turns people into half sheep half human bipedal freaks that look like zombiefied monster sheep, plus the blood and gore is through the roof with some great hands on makeup effects. There is even a homage to the classic moment in 'American Werewolf' where David transforms and we see his face n body extending with cracking bones. This is pretty much copied here (mainly the face) and looks just as good I might add.

Not your average horror and not really scary, more of a fun idea (possible homage) showcasing some great makeup effects and good use of some real flocks. What I'm waiting for now is the same thing again but for pigeons in London, seriously it could work.
January 20, 2015
Ahora le toca el turno a las ovejas ser las asesinas, ligera y entretenida cinta inglesa, aunque abusa del gore
½ December 3, 2014
Aaah man that was straight out of the sheep's ass. I should have known since it is a movie about zombie sheep after all. IGN for some reason felt the need to put it on their 'horrors to watch' list but everything from its acting, comedy and cheap plastic gore was terrible. If there ever was a zombie apocalypse of any kind, make them watch this as I'm sure they would then blow their own heads off.
½ October 18, 2007
All that you could want from a movie about carnivorous, zombie sheep.
October 30, 2014
I have never laughed so hard in my life!
½ December 20, 2013
The premise is funny, but a over-reliance on gore and childish jokes bring the film down.
April 7, 2014
The film starts off being as bonkers as you might expect (and desire) but eventually turns into a standard monster movie.
The creature FX are quite fantastic and the concept behind the film truly entertaining.
In the end, this has elements of Dead Alive, Shaun of the Dead, plenty of gore, black humour, and a story only New Zealand (or perhaps Scotland) could truly create.
Worth checking out for fans of this kind of absurb horror comedy.
September 30, 2007
i liked it, even though it was dead alive with sheep
May 17, 2011
the premises for a good B-movie are there but they are stretched to the most demential extreme, from the genetic engineered weresheeps to the perverted sexual fetishes and the environmental movements mockery. a surprisingly enjoyable trashy movie.
½ February 21, 2014
"SHEEP WITH A TASTE FOR BLOOD"

- 'Black Sheep' is a 2006 horror comedy from New Zealand. It is said to be inspired by Peter Jackson's 'Bad Taste' and 'Braindead'. We have killer dogs, whales, worms, bunnies, birds, ... so why not do something with murderous sheep? I HATED this film, the story is a load of bull... and the characters are really annoying. I like the horror genre, but this was an absolute waste of time. I don't understand why people like it. The only good thing I can say about it is that the make-up artists did a very good job.

After 15 years Henry Oldfield returns to his hometown to sell his share of the family farm to his twisted brother Agnus. Henry has a phobia of sheep and wants to go as quickly as possible. Unknowingly he will have to face the horrible experiments of his brother, who wanted to create a new breed of genetically manipulated sheep. The animals whoever have developed a taste for blood. Can Henry escape his worst nightmare?
February 10, 2014
interesting and gore
December 1, 2013
Black Sheep is Slither meets American Werewolf in London. The score is good and the special effects are great. But when all is said and done.. Black Sheep is bleeeeehhh...