—— As Above/So Below Aug 29

38% Taxi Brooklyn: Season 1
43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

The Black Swan Reviews

July 16, 2014
TBS features a beautiful Maureen O'Hara - and an even more beautiful Tyrone Power in a pirate swashbuckler that's brimming with campy fun. The beginning is quite slow, but the latter half is a terrific ride - plus, it also features greats like George Sanders, Thomas Mitchell, and a young Anthony Quinn. It's biggest flaw is too much focus on sword fighting and not enough on the characters. 3 1/2+ stars
Dennis  A.
July 8, 2014
A guy's movie. O'Hara is so cute and feisty. And the pirate king Morgan was very amusing as he had to put up with foppish island council and made his wise cracks re: O'Hara--e.g. "that idiot child" And, of course, lots of shipboard fighting. I could have done without the "3 times" soppy bit--It ruined that attractive edge of O'Hara's character.
Vinny D.
March 23, 2010
this is not an action movie it is a romace that is very boring. D
July 2, 2013
Tyrone Power was undoubtedly the most stylish and certainly the most handsome and articulate of the great Hollywood swashbuckers from the 30s to the late 50s. In this movie he coyld not have been bettered (Flynn and Douglas Fairbanks Jr. included), The starry cast,music,costumes and settings brought vividly to life the Spanish Main,Maracaibo and other Pirate ports of call.With a great family theatrical tradition behind him,Power's presence enriched every movie he made (what a twist of fate that he died exactly as his father Tyrone Power Sr.did,filming a duel scene -"Hamlet" and "Solomon and Sheba). I believe that Power's acting ability even today is not fully recognised,simply because the Studio System restricted his choice of film.Let anyone hear Power recite the poems of Byron (available on disc) and realise his premature death was a tragedy."THE BLACK SWAN" could be said to represent a golden period in the history of Hollywood swashbucklers.
November 12, 2012
good pirate actioner no relation to the natalie portman vehicle of the same name.
September 6, 2012
Visually Beautiful, it almost as good as Errol's work--Style over substance!!
Sean G

May 6, 2011
I'm told that this is a classic!
June 19, 2008
Nice movie, I like Maureen O'Hara Character... nice ending.
June 17, 2011
Maureen O'Hara is Amazing & holds her own against Pirates.She is a Spitfire Babe , Strong & Beautiful.
May 18, 2011
Loved the "Black Swan" all about Tyrone Powers!
KevinRobbins
March 11, 2011
I'll bring you a necklace made from his teeth

Captain Morgan is a notorious pirate that has been appointed by the king to rule over Jamaica as a royal ambassador. Some of Morgan's former men decide to start their own pirate behavior and begin terrorizing the Caribbean. Captain Morgan sends his right hand man to bring down the pirates. If his right hand man cannot bring down the pirates, the Jamaican locals may mutiny and impeach their new ambassador.

"Do me a favor and don't make me angry. I'm trying to act like gentleman."

Henry King, director of Untamed, The Earth is Mine, Carousel, Deep Waters, Prince of Foxes, Maryland, Jesse James, and Hell Harbor, delivers The Black Swan. The storyline for this picture is interesting and contains a solid blend of romance, pirate action scenes, solid character development, and a marvelous script. The cast delivers breathtaking performances and includes Tyrone Power, Anthony Quinn, and Maureen O'hara.

"I am a better man drunk than sober for any kind of work."

I came across this movie while in the process of DVR'ing another picture. I was intrigued by the title of this movie as well as the synopsis and decided to give it a shot. I felt the execution by the cast and the delivery of the script was perfect. I adored the interaction between the characters as well as the pirate subplot. This movie is definitely worth your time.

"Love, gold, and adventure."

Grade: A
Michael G

February 11, 2011
In 1942, The Black Swan was probably the greatest thing ever. I'm sure I would've gone to see it every night of the week if I saw this movie nearly 70 years ago. But since that's not the case and I recently saw the superior Adventures of Robin Hood, The Black Swan is merely just okay. The opening is pretty strong and the back and forth between Tyrone Power and Maureen O'Hara (if I had to narrow it down for only one reason for anyone to see this movie it would be her beautiful bitchiness) was fun. Throw in the rest of the cast and some fun action and its worth the watch.
Cassidy Classic Reviews
February 8, 2011
I've got all the classics under my belt now that I have TMC (Turner Classic Movies), though my first shot with it wasn't too substantial. The Black Swan's first twenty-minutes begin with a hefty bit of action,--sword battles with some Pirates yelling argh and all that jazz--, and slightly develops the whole plot structure. Though with all this being said, many attractions I have with the genre are not fully explored.

The interwoven narrative is rather complex, yet easy to depict. This Academy Award winner starts with a man, Jamie Waring (Tyrone Power), on the threat of torture if he doesn't cooperate, and tell them where his Captain, sir Henry Morgan (Laird Cregar), is located. He diverts to the noble figure, and knocks off a couple witty jokes. Before his sentence to be tortured is fulfilled, Jamie's fellow pirates enter the building of which he was being held.

Jamie Waring is let go and sir Henry Morgan becomes King. Though with him being under the king's wing and having many treasures, Jamie falls in love with the previous king's daughter, Lady Margaret Denby (Maureen O'Hara).

The acting is not to my standards of good. Though the actors have a couple scenes of realism, they mostly delve into '40's melodrama. Jamie's love interest, played by Maureen O'Hara, can release her fair share of involving emotions. Though lightly, the main protagonist, played by Tyrone Power, can too; but, in hindsight, it all just seems so fake.

I did enjoy all the battle sequences that were the doing for its visual effects nomination, but the climax is very much unfulfilling, in my desire to seam the narrative together, and relentlessly dull. All together, I feel The Black Swan manages to lighten a realistic battle, but just never really follows through enough on characterization and narrative structure to be labelled an epic.
January 31, 2011
Natalie Portman was brillant in this mov- Wait a second...........
starlett2005
January 4, 2011
The Black Swan is a wonderful film. The cinematography is excellent and well done. The sets and costumes are incredible. Tyrone Power and Maureen O'Hara give remarkable performances. The screenplay is well written. Henry King did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed this motion picture because of the adventure and history. The Black Swan is highly recommended.
Dave J
November 16, 2010
Tuesday, November 16, 2010

(1942) The Black Swan
ADVENTURE/ ROMANCE/ ACTION

Spain had just signed a treaty with another country -I forgot which other country! So the leader of the so-called pirates of that other country decide to lay down it's arms and come to a truce by agreement of some sort and by electing the leader of the pirates to be a governer of Jamaica! Between the two second-in-command pirates, one decides to follow the him wherever he goes as opposed to the other decides to go the other way! Double crossings galore and treachery happen along the way!
Little movie making little impact especially the action which is not bad since it does appear that the actors were using real swords but the 'speeding the camera' to make it seemed like they're really sword duelling is quite evident here as with most other sword fighting films made during that era! As well, the film doesn't seem to address all the bad people that were involved with the treachery!

I liked this film for it's idea but it seemed that the director of this film had already used up all it's budget and had to settle with this quick ending! A very low "B" or c+!

3 out of 4
AJ V

September 5, 2010
This is one of my favourite pirate movies. It has it all, action, adventure, excitement, drama, romance, even a bit of humour. I loved it.
sambeam1
July 5, 2010
Clean, swashbukeling fun, but due to thin characters, it's easily swiped from our collective memories.
flixsterman
flixsterman

February 3, 2009
A lesser swashbuckler that's fun but much more about sword fights and cannon fire than it is about story or character development.

NOTE: Look for a very young Anthony Quinn in a minor role.