• PG-13, 1 hr. 43 min.

—— Witches of East End: Season 2

Blackbird Reviews

Luke E

August 11, 2013
This incredible debut feature from Canadian Jason Buxton; is tense, unsettling, and unpredictably thought provoking. Purely centered on the the main character's motivations and those around him. Is he really as dangerous as he appears to be? or is it just bad luck that he's accused of the crimes he didn't/would never comit. It's a fascinating portrayal of youth wasted on the young and can compel any viewer who watches it. One of MIFF's Greatest Surprises!!!
January 16, 2014
An example of good intentions not being realized. It's interesting to look at the paranoia surrounding school violence from the point of view of a kid wrongly accused, but this movie never really gets past cliches to anything interesting to say about it.
November 21, 2013
This is an important Canadian film and an absolutely heart-wrenching tale of how a young man's life is destroyed by a judgemental town.
October 15, 2013
Blackbird was a powerful and moving film that explored real dangers faced by teenagers today in the school yard and online. Often online world that kids inhabit are poorly understood by the adults in their lives, and things can easily be misconstrued, as is the case with Sean, the lead character in the film. There are wonderful and understated performances in the film and the story keeps you guessing right to the end. A great film to see!
Robert B.
October 15, 2013
Really enjoyed it. Realistic characters, fantastic performances. A drama that grips you and doesn't let you go.
Luke E

August 11, 2013
Susie E.
July 20, 2013
Absolutely amazing. Compelling in everyway
June 27, 2013
I LOVED IT! Not what I expected, it was better! I am a personal fan of Connor Jessup (He played Sean Randall) and I didn't know he was this good. I was also surprised by the rest of the cast's performance. The only downside is how long it feels, halfway through it felt like it was 2 hours already.
May 21, 2013
Great movie! Worth seeing
Pauline S.
May 11, 2013
This film stirred my emotions as it gave some insight into what teens might be feeling in this generation. It was refreshing to watch a film without the big Hollywood names and I would recommend it to both youth and parents to watch (even together).
September 19, 2012
A terrific, grounded first-time film performance for Connor Jessup, who plays a bullied teen whose life is put on hold when a mistake in judgment snowballs into judicial reprisals against him. Another gripping, well-made Canadian film in recent years.