Marvel Movie Madness! Part 8: Blade II

Summary

Alex: 2003: The year the comic book movie boom really got started. Spider-Man web-slung into theaters to declare superheroes the new king of summer, and Blade II marked the first time Marvel had produced a movie deserving of a sequel. In this outing, Blade relocates to Russia searching for his left for dead mentor, Whistler. At the same time, a mutant breed of vampires rises, forcing Blade to make uneasy alliances with enemies and new sidekicks. Back to Article

Comments

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

"Alan Smithee," now that's a familiar name . . . the ultimate Hollywood pseudonym.

BLADE II is the best!!!!!!! (fast-paced and a lot of GORE and Blood-spilling)

May 26 - 08:21 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

I'm not "in to" comic book movies too much

--I don't contextualize comic-book movies into the entire mythos of the comic-book character.

BLADE II was a FAST-PACED, SUPER-CHARGED, EXCITING VAMPIRE MOVIE . . .JAW-DROPPING!!!! awesome.

May 26 - 08:27 AM

gridlock'd2

First Last

Yeah, the reviews here say next to nothing. There's no insight, barely any interest it seems. It's 'yeah I kinda liked' or 'I didn't really like it so much.' Who cares? Who are you? If Luke doesn't like sunglasses, trenchcoats and techno, how'd you get through the first movie? If you can't "handle" a movie directed by Guillemo DelToro, how are you going to make it through 3 Punisher films?

Anyway I think Blade 2 is leagues above the first film. The look of it is amazing. It has a perfect gothic comic book throughout. The cast is great (Nomad is a stand out) and the look of the Reavers is something we never saw before or since. And if you wanna laugh, watch the movie with Deltoro's commentary. The guy is hilarious. He laughs at everything.

Some great lines too. "Who do you think God really favors in the web; The spider or the fly?"

May 26 - 08:31 AM

Luke Goodsell

Luke Goodsell

Actually I'm a big fan of Guillermo -- I love the Hellboy movies, The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth. Obviously I was being a bit silly. No offence intended.

May 26 - 09:48 PM

gridlock'd2

First Last

Yeah, Hellboy always seemed a bit empty to me. Blade 2 is a truimph.

May 26 - 08:43 AM

Linda B.

Linda Burke

Keep in mind that petty insults are the lowest form of argument. I think it's fine you think Hellboy's characters are "spot-on", and I think it's fine you think Pan's Labyrinth is "masterful". I think it's a good movie--not quite a masterpiece, but good. My opinion. Deal with it. Go take out your little frustrations somewhere else. Also... "Any who"? I think you meant to say "Anyone who". Just telling you.

May 26 - 09:02 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

That wasn't really a petty insult. If you're going to be that sensitive here you're going to be in trouble.

May 26 - 09:48 AM

Linda B.

Linda Burke

Unfounded? I never said it was a fact, dude. And to suggest that I "don't know movies" based on ONE comment is ignorant, and unreasonable. It's crazy logic, really. FYI, I had a look at some of your ratings. Strongly disagreed with some. Agreed with others. Do I think YOU have horrible taste based on a few dissenting opinions? Nope.

May 26 - 12:57 PM

Linda B.

Linda Burke

May 26 - 12:58 PM

Linda B.

Linda Burke

@BigBrother

I'm not overly-sensitive. I'm being quite reasonable, actually. It WAS a petty insult. I wasn't insulting him, or anybody else in my original comment. His was an immature attack. If my opinion was "unfounded" and "insulting", then his is doubly so. Being overly-sensitive is one thing, but if you can't be reasonable then get off the site.

May 26 - 01:16 PM

Linda B.

Linda Burke

Thanks I will :)

And what the heck do you expect, lol? That I'd nod and concede to your opinion that I don't know what a good movie is? Not likely. I accepted your opinion that Del Toro is some kind of god with grace and understanding. You, however, seem unable to accept my views on his talents (or lack-there-of :P). You're the one who can't handle it.

FYI, this is my first RT argument. Are you having as much fun as I am? :)

I am serious though...why don't you rate any good movies on this site? And I'm not being snide. I'm just asking..

May 26 - 01:35 PM

THEREWOLF

Markus Arbutina

Alan, you are all kinds of crazy as well as kinda a jerk. If you can't handle someone disliking movies that you like or having different opinions than you shouldn't post here.

May 26 - 07:07 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

He says its in his opinion that anyone who can't appreciate Pan doesn't know movies. It's his opinion in contrast to your own and IMO instead of getting offended by his opinion you could have tried to prove him wrong instead of stooping past his level with your own petty insults, just saying you're gonna hear a lot worse if u hang around any length of time.

May 26 - 07:36 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

I "can't" watch HELLBOY because the title is too f'ked-up.

Of course I CAN watch HELLBOY, I guess I "won't" though:

what's the deal with Hellboy? "The Son of the Devil" is fighting crime or something?

Of course I'll look it up.

My son watched it on DVD much to my wife's chagrin;

it must be a generational thing:

Harry Potter is about a Warlock fighting Evil.

Hellboy (at face-value) is Satan's Son fighting bad-guys.

Ghost Rider is about a guy who emerges from Hell riding a motorcycle fighting bad-guys.

(my son's generation embraces Evil figures battling evil figures but I can't embrace it . . .)

--I don't go around burning comic books either because maybe there is some "good" in Harry Potter, Hellboy, Ghost-Rider that I'm not seeing.

Evil is subjective:

If The Pope is a child-molester and a Serial Killer breaks out of jail to kill The Pope, The Serial Killer becomes the Good Guy

because child-molesting is worse than serial-killing; the lesser of two evils wins.

So, Hellboy, The Son of the Devil is better than the villains he is pitted against.

Even BLADE, The Vampire is less evil than the villains he's after.

So if The Pope IS indeed a Child-molester and BLADE the vampire beheads The Pope, Blade the vampire is less of an evil than The Pope.

May 26 - 09:13 AM

Skyler H.

skyler harrington

I wasn't aware people from the 17th century have internet access. Thank you for enlightening me. So.. Passion of the Christ is the greatest film of the modern age? Not trying to troll it up, but you're coming across as quite the preachy douche.

May 26 - 09:22 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

but its INSANE to have Nazis who put human beings into ovens like pizzas as being instrumental in fighting evil.

c'mon let's have a human-pizza-pie tonight for dinner.

or did you see that picture where the Nazi's cut the man in half vertically in order to teach dissection.

its not "17th Century" . . . The Nazis and Demons are bad? right?

Well, the swastika that the NAZIS used was once a symbol of peace.

The Nazis (under the symbol of peace) put Jews into ovens the way we put pizzas and turkeys into our kitchen ovens and in HELLBOY the same NAZIS "created" a superhero.

--- things are totally insane is what I'm saying. Nobody should equate Nazism with anything good. its 20th century!!!

A HA! Hellboy is "21st Century" (even though he first appeared in 1993).

so, in the 21st Century, NAZIS are a kind of joke ( The Holocaust is a chapter in a comic book so to speak).

May 26 - 09:50 AM

quietus28

jj l

How the hell did Nazis come into this?

May 26 - 12:36 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Hellboy was brought to Earth by Nazis . . .

May 26 - 02:28 PM

Skyler H.

skyler harrington

May 26 - 09:22 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

c'mon let's have a human-pizza-pie tonight for dinner.

its not "17th Century" . . . The Nazis and Demons are bad? right?

Well, the swastika that the NAZIS used was once a symbol of peace.

A HA! Hellboy is "21st Century" (even though he first appeared in 1993).

May 26 - 09:50 AM

quietus28

jj l

How the hell did Nazis come into this?

May 26 - 12:36 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Hellboy was brought to Earth by Nazis . . .

May 26 - 02:28 PM

Linda B.

Linda Burke

You are right. Good catch.

May 26 - 09:24 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

ahhh (sighing) here we go:
Hellboy is a comic book character created by writer-artist Mike Mignola. He has appeared in a number of eponymous miniseries and one-shots, as well as some crossovers.

A demon whose true name is Anung Un Rama (the Beast of the Apocalypse), Hellboy was brought to Earth as an infant by Nazi occultists. He was discovered by the Allied Forces; amongst them, Professor Trevor Bruttenholm, who formed the United States Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense (BPRD).

HELLBOY is a DEMON, brought to EARTH by NAZI OCCULTS!!!!!???

WHO THE HELL READS THIS CRAP?

(that's pretty insane . . . The Nazis orchestrated the deaths of 6 Million people AND here you have a comic-book about a "DEMON" brought to EARTH by NAZIS? . . . and millions of people read it and enjoy it?)

Rhetorically speaking "You don't create things that have NAZIS being instrumental in achieving anything of good.)
---

Freakin HELLBOY: a demon brought to Earth by Nazis . . .

. . . and people LIKE THIS CRAP?
(yes: MILLIONS OF PEOPLE LOVE HELLBOY)

damn.

-- what does THE POPE have to say about HELLBOY?

(Who the F--K gives a Sh-t what THE POPE has to "say" about anything because The Catholic Church Molests Children, Right?)

So, we Have THE CATHOLIC CHURCH discovered to be an organization that allows its priests to molest children and we have a DEMON brought to Earth by Nazis used to fight evil.

The point is:

The Symbology of Good and Evil has reversed:

The Catholic Church (THE POPE) molests children
and
The Comic-book heroes are Demons (brought to Earth by Nazis, mind you) committed to fighting evil.
-- (I complimented The Socratic Method).

So: since the symbology has changed we're supposed to Praise what was once considered profane and condemn what was once to considered to be holy.

The Catholic Church has become unholy and "Hellboy" has become holy.

"The Pope" (figuratively speaking) molests childen and "Hellboy" and "Blade II" (both directed by Del Toro) will be inclined to rescue children.

May 26 - 09:36 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

May 26 - 09:48 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

c'mon let's have a human-pizza-pie tonight for dinner.

its not "17th Century" . . . The Nazis and Demons are bad? right?

Well, the swastika that the NAZIS used was once a symbol of peace.

A HA! Hellboy is "21st Century" (even though he first appeared in 1993).

May 26 - 09:50 AM

quietus28

jj l

How the hell did Nazis come into this?

May 26 - 12:36 PM

Movies for Tax Day
Movies for Tax Day

Your tax dollars at work, in movies.

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies