20% The Identical Sep 05

Blade II Reviews

garyX
garyX

October 21, 2006
Wesley Snipes once again dons the leather overcoat, this time to join forces with an elite vampire unit to combat a race of Nosferatu-like zombie vampire hybrids who threaten to over-run both races. Blade II is essentially the vampire film's answer to Aliens with the high-octane action of the first film still in evidence but this time it is added to by Guillermo Del Toro's keen sense of style and atmosphere. The production design is fantastic and the script involving different factions constantly vying for the upper hand is far more complex than that of most superhero films (David Goyer went on to co-write The Dark Knight). My only gripe is that some of the CGI is starting to look a little dated in a similar way to the original Spiderman films, but this is a comparatively minor point. It may not be to everyone's taste, but for fans of the genre it is a visceral cocktail of vampiric gore and martial arts mayhem that action junkies and horror fans alike should not miss.
skactopus
skactopus

May 30, 2007
Guillermo del Toro does Blade right with Blade II.Spanning an hour and 50 minutes, there is enough entertainment value to hold everything together. Set at a decent pace, the plot details come steady and at the right times, while the story houses a good combination of action, violence, and even some drama to top it all off.The action is stylized with some great choreography, including some over the top moves backed by solid CG. The transition between CG to live action melds well during the fights scenes.Wesley Snipes is one confident Blade, thus leading to a favorable hero. Ron Perlman and Luke Goss provider some excellent supporting characters and Leonor Varela is a delight on screen. If there is a flaw in this film, it is the under utilization of Donnie Yen.Blade II comes together well, leaving a recommendable sci-fi action picture.
Eugene B

July 27, 2013
It's a significant improvement from the first installment of this Marvel comic. Blade II is more darker, yet stylish but still suffers from the lack of character presentation and consistent storytelling. Wesley Snipes, once again wields the sword with a sharper edge, but still one-sided. 4/5
Apeneck F

July 22, 2007
Vampires are the hunted as a hybrid strain, a super vampire, feeds on both humans and vampires, and so the undead call on Blade to help them out. Del Toro gives the fans action, action, and more action - and creepy make-up and special effects. Bang for your buck indeed.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

January 14, 2012
First off let me get this out of the way, I love del Toro's work, I think he's a creative genius, and that he's got immense talent as a director. But this sequel to Blade just doesn't cut it. I've always been a fan of the more traditional vampire films, and the Blade films just don't cut it for me. I like the first Underworld film, but that's a whole different story. At least the first Underworld film was good, fun with a decent cast and good action, however the Blade films really don't deliver that for me. This sequel is a poor attempt at delivering a follow-up to an already poor action horror film. I hate the whole half man, half vampire concept and as a fan of conventional vampire films, I just didn't like this type of film. del Toro on the other hand directs some interesting action scenes, but the rest fall flat, and it just doesn't cut it. Blade II is a poor film that is tiresome, and poorly conceived. The cast is horrible and don't deliver on-screen. I honestly felt bored watching this film. Wesley Snipes is a terrible actor, and he shows us that he is most certainly that in this sequel to a terrible action horror film. Blade II is bad, and it disappointed me; I really wanted to like this film, however I just couldn't get into it. If you're looking for a good vampire film, Blade II isn't that film. The cast and plot are horrible, and this film is simply forgettable.
Eric A

September 30, 2011
I actually thought this was a notch better than the first. Fight scenes are even gorier, yes.
TheGame90
TheGame90

November 29, 2010
Welll this was even better than the first one...All the flaws have been fixed. And I even think most of the effects was really good. And I was very impressed by Wesley's fighting skills.
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
Guillermo del Toro takes over the reins on this sequel to the successful Blade, and, picking up right where that one left off, delivers a very strong film that not only does what a good sequel should, but manages to become a better and stronger film as well.

After tracking down the absent Whistler, Blade and his new weaponsmith Scud are approached by a group of vampires who need the help of the Daywalker and his assistants to combat a new type of creature who is a threat to both humans and vampires- the Reaper, a type of vampire who is afflicted by a virus which causes themto be stronger, more deadly, have the need to feed more frequently, have the desire to prey on both humans and vampires, and can only really be taken down by the sun.

It's a great concept, and I like that this film adds to the mythology and world building set up by the first. Nioce conflicts are built up as an uneasy truce is formed, and, probably best fo all, the action is plentiful, well done, and the effects and makeup are top notch.

Del Toro is an inspired choice as a director for this sort of thing, and his style works nicely here, especially with the creepy and freakish Reapers. The pace is nice, with room for both action and development, and the cast is awesome. Snipes once again delivers in what has become his signature role (at least for many people). Kristofferson is also good once again as Whistler, but it's the supporting cast who really stand out here, including previous del Toro collaborators Norman Reedus and Ron Perlman (hell, it's odd when this guy ISN'T in a del Toro film). I also liked seeing Matt Schulze and Leonor Varela in action.

The film has lots of gore and gross moments, but they serve the story, and are handled in a cool and stylish manner. These sort of thigns aren't too big an issue for me in general, but they might be for some people, hence my mentioning them. If you handled the first film, you can handle this. If you can handle some of the oter films del Toro has done, you should kinda know what to expect in terms of creatures and what not.

Filled with tons of action, a great story, and a few doses of humor here and there, this is an awesome and very satisfying film. I really liked Blade. I love Blade II.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

December 24, 2007
On par with the first film. You really have to psyche yourself out to enjoy this series. This isn't a particularly strong-minded film. No it's a rather dumb but fun sort of entertainment. I like it a lot, but the CGI in it really bothers me. It sticks out like a sore thumb and has no business in this movie. The acting and dialogue are the usual cheesy fair while the music is very, very nice. The action scenes, and there are an abundance of them, are well-choreographed but lack a lot of character. Overall, I find it very entertaining - just not necessarily well-made (even for Del Toro).
Drake T

May 26, 2011
It's a good premise and story, it brings some really great ideas with the Reapers and "alliance" with the vampires, but all of it gets bogged down by redundant action sequences that end up delivering an empty beat-ehm-up conclusion that only a 12 year old boy would enjoy.
Al S

October 2, 2006
It's extremely well-done. Director, Guillermo Del Toro creates a solid and visionary movie. A masterwork. An incredibly fun thrill-machine of a movie. Even better the the first film. It's bloody excellent. A pure adrenaline-pumping and spectacular non-stop action film that never lets up. An explosive mix of chilling horror, explosive action, great special effects and scorching suspense. Wesley Snipes is at his very best. Ron Perlman is terrific. Luke Goss is excellent.
Richard C

July 23, 2010
B+
Conner R

November 28, 2009
This was an incredibly large step down from the first movie. I am so surprised that Guillermo del Toro could sink this low. It has incredibly fake look to it and is a complete joke. The plot makes no sense and has no meaning. It was almost hard to finish this.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

June 30, 2007
My favourite vampire movie of all-time (altough Bram Stoker's Dracula comes at a very close second). Guillermo has brought his own touch to the genre, with influences from movies like the Alien, Predator and The Matrix franchise, all coming together in a terrificly well-executed blend. Wesley Snipes is the king of cool, and his great one-liners is just one of many reasons to like this movie. The special effects are very impressive for their time, and look like they could have been made today. Heck, they even look better than those found in most contemporary action films. It may not have the sophistication and class of other vampire films, but it's one that entertains on a very high level, and leaves the 10 year-old in me more than satisfied. So if you prefer the action-oriented type of vampire flicks, then this is definitely one you shouldn't miss. Best one in the trilogy, without doubt.
Anthony L

September 23, 2009
A great sequel, all the better for having Guillermo del Toro at the helm. If he'd directed the whole series it could have been something special!
Phil H

August 13, 2007
A kind of Aliens style sequel, an ultra slick group of vamps hunt the mutant vamp killers. Its bloody, techno, dark and very very cool. Goss is very good as the mutant vamp leader but the film does resort to martial arts abit too much. Better than the first and nice and red, does the comic proud.
Cassandra M

May 2, 2009
Other than the explanation of where he came from, who he and everyone else is, at the beginning, this film stands nicely on its own. for those of you that know the first one, then this opening explanation will be a little irritating (and a tad confusing, but it becomes clear later). The opening does smell strongly of franchise potential, being repeated in all the inevitable sequels still to come. Once past this though, we are lead through a massive fight and action scene that sets up the whole movie. and warns anyone who can't stand Hong Kong action scenes that they are probably watching the wrong screen.

The movie is essentially a platform for Snipes to have fun with his most renowned character. And he does so with very entertaining results. The movie has reasonably well rounded characters, suspicion piled on top of everyone, some amazing set pieces and a good sense of humour. The impact of all the blood and guts is reduced by the obvious fantasy of the fights (wires and SFX a lot of the time), but its still pretty powerful.

The lead performances are all very good, although some of the peripheral characters are a little too hammer horror. Luke Goss demonstrates great potential, although you would need to see him without the make up, body doubles, and special effects to really judge. and there is occasionally that urge to shout "when will I be famous." and the pure blood female vampire who takes a shine to blade is well worth being bitten by.

Overall it feels less like a sequel and more like a stand alone movie. with this in mind, I think its in fact better than the original (a rare example of the exception that proves the rule).
Jani H

January 5, 2008
"Is the enemy of my enemy my friend or my enemy?"

The sequel continues straight from where everything was left. Blade is searching for his mentor, Whistler, and finally finds him after some years. When he gets back home, he receives a suprising offer from the vampire Overlord to form an alliance to hunt down Nomak, a vampire who seems to be the next step in vampire evolution...

"Blade 2" is everything that a comic based movie should be. It's entertaining and fun to watch. Guillermo Del Toro, who is one of the most talented directors of today, has given us a darker "Blade" movie, with more gruesome vampires without forgetting the humor.

The fight scenes are once again top notch, with long lasting and nicely choreographed battles. The special effects support the fighting in a good way, giving the viewers one hell of a ride.

The actors do a good job, it's especially nice to watch Wesley Snipes' and Ron Perlman's mouthing at each other. A good bunch of actors who do their parts nicely. There's even a little love story in here but it woun't take the focus away from the action...

"Blade 2" is a very good sequel and in my opinion one of the best comic book based movies. It's not as good as the more popular "Spiderman", "Batman" or "X-Men" sequels, but it deserves its place among the better comic genre movies.

"You've been training for two years to take me out, and now, here I am. Whew!
So exciting, isn't it?"
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

December 3, 2008
"Faster. Sharper. Deadlier."

A half-vampire, half-human hybrid, Blade (Snipes) is a merciless vampire hunter bent on destroying the bloodsuckers that feed on humanity. The keys to Blade's success are a serum that allows him to resist the urge for blood and an array of inventive, deadly weapons, both of which were once supplied by his mentor, Whistler (Kris Kristofferson). Since Whistler's death, Blade has relocated to Prague and recruited the pot-smoking slacker Scud (Norman Reedus) to take the place of his father figure, but then he discovers that Whistler's not dead after all: He's been infected with the vampire virus. Reunited with Whistler, Blade is dealt an even bigger surprise: His greatest enemy, vampire leader Damaskinos (Thomas Kretschmann), wants to make peace with him. It seems that the vampires are facing a greater threat than Blade and hope to persuade him to fight the Reapers, a mutated super-race of vampires on a rampage of murder, indiscriminately killing both humans and their fellow bloodsuckers while sucking their victims dry. Blade agrees to a truce and joins the Bloodpack, an elite squad of commandos originally formed to fight Blade himself. Soon, the vampire soldiers discover that the virus responsible for creating their enemies is spreading rapidly and can be traced back to a mysterious "Patient Zero."

Review
Del Toro's Blade II has all the fixings for a terrific bloody vampire cocktail. Wesley Snipes returns in his comic book dark hero mode as Blade once again. Blade II picks up pretty much right after the first film's last point and introduces new and creepy vampire foes to the mix. Blade II keeps the action going full blast and the introduction of the Blood Pack adds a new level of character development to the story and a new element for Blade's character to contend with. The story is not the best and some of the plot twists are little contrived but this is not Shakespeare either, just a comic book translation to film. The special make-up effects are wonderful adding a sinster edge to the Reapers that clearly outclasses anything in the first film. The CGI effects are not nearly as overdone as the first film either which is nice. Del Toro's direction is solid for the film that he is making here. Blade II is a much more darker and fun film with a gruesome punch that should please both the horror and action film crowds.