Blade II Reviews

½ April 17, 2015
More Blood, more blade, more scary. Forgive the grammar but BLADE II is just more better. Not saying the first one isn't good but the sequel took the best parts of it and expanded on that. It might have the same failings as the first as well, underdeveloped characters and such. Also the CG Blade is kind of, well shitty. But this was Guillermo Del Toro's first foray into the Hollywood mainstream and man was he the right choice. Blade II is darker and the action, when Not CG is fast and furious. Best of the series.
November 25, 2013
The second piece of this vampire hunter trilogy blurs the lines between Action, Super Hero and Horror, which personally I'm kinda liking.

This time around, Blade (Wesley Snipes; New Jack City, Chaos), Abraham Whistler (Planet of the Ape, Provinces of Night) and new arrival Scud (Norman Reedus; The Boondock Saints, Pandorum) must team up with the Blood Pack, made up of Dieter Reinhardt (Ron Perlman; Hellboy, Outlander), Nyssa Damaskinos (Hell Ride, Wrong Turn at Tahoe), Chupa (Matt Schulze; The Transporter, The Fast and the Furious), Asad (Danny-John Jules; Red Dwarf, Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels), Snowman (Donnie Yen; IP Man, Highlander: Endgame), Verlaine (Marit Kile; Doctors, Blue Murder), Priest (Tony Curran; The Midnight Meat Train, Underworld: Evolution), and Lighthammer (Daz Crawford; Hammer of the Gods, Game Over) in order to defeat UberVamp Jared Nomak (personal favourite Luke Goss; Death Race 2, Hellboy II: The Golden Army, Tekken) and his army of Reaper Strain Vampires.

With me so far? No? Then go watch the damn movie! It's very fucking good. The opening is almost as strong as the original, and pretty much everything else about it is better. Not to mention the fact that I'm a total Luke Goss fanboy. All of the characters are so much better. They interact and everything. And even though Wesley Snipes has never really impressed me as an actor, the character of Blade was a little less cheesy, which always helps, and basically just better all 'round.

SPOILERS FOR BLADE, BLADE II and TRINITY: An interesting point, without ruining anything about the trilogy is that in all three films, vampires fight vampires. Not in the whole "Blade's half a vampire so he kills full-on vampires" way, although there is most certainly that, but in Blade, Frost kills the Elder vampires to become La Magra. In Blade II, The Blood Pack and Blade team up to take down a new, much more dangerous breed of vampires. And in Trinity, Dracula goes around killing vampires, pretty much for fun. Just food for thought. I've never read the comics much myself, so I don't really know if that's something that's been going on for a while, or if it just turned out that way.

There were a couple of lame bits. Some very stupid lines like "they took all of our weapons. Even your sword." Even your sword! Man, the single weapon for which you were named after that has killed more vampires than any other thing on the planet, and the vampires took it away from you? The audacity! And there's this whole thing where Whistler is alive again, they went most of the way to explaining it, and then sort of forgot. It would have been so simple to have a four second flashback cover the lot of it. Oh well.

Still though, I'm very, very fond of this one.

77%

-Gimly
February 25, 2015
Just as good as the first, which is not necessarily good, but not worse, which is definitely good. Better than the 3rd, which is also good.
½ February 5, 2015
Blade's awesomeness is what made the movie great! Kick-ass battles all the way! A few flaws but still awesome!
January 17, 2015
I really like the whole Blade trilogy
January 5, 2015
This could have been a decent movie if they did not go for the cheapest, most cliche action dialogue possible
Also there are numerous confusing moments such as :
Blade throws UV lamp grenade in sewer water
Vampires break van sunroof and disappears
Inconsistent infection time of supporting characters
Confusing villain motivation
Immensely obvious jumpscares
½ December 27, 2014
Unlike most people I think this is pants compared to the original - given that the whole thing revolves around "ooh I'm teaming up with my enemy" and then just snarking for over an hour. First one was better.
½ December 9, 2014
Exciting and creepy, Guillermo Del Toro's take on "Blade" is satisfying even though it has its own fault like plot holes, uncaring characters, and a story that almost resembles the first. Still, it brings enough creepiness factor and a few awesome action sequences to keep us invested throughout the film. Snipes will always be the best Blade.
½ December 7, 2011
not as good as the first
November 12, 2014
My fave from the trilogy! It's got the coolest fight scenes, story, character design and soundtrack! And the best part of it all, Guillermo del Toro is the man!
October 27, 2014
I honestly did not know it was Guillermo del Toro who directed Blade II until the moment I saw Ron Perlman and detailed and almost breathtaking, if not disgusting enough, anatomization of a Reaper's body. With the team of del Toro and David Goyer, it is almost a winning team!! Norman Reeduss is badass!!
½ October 10, 2014
I've made a commitment to rewatch all three Snipes Blade films. I think this one gets higher marks than deserved because of the striking Del Toro visuals, however it's full of sound and fury and is merely posturing to look cool. Everyone, however, is earnest enough in their roles to make it professional, slick and diverting.
September 30, 2014
Guillermo Del Toro directed and it's really a much better film than the first one.
½ September 5, 2014
Under-rated and still highly effective film thanks to a superb cast & brilliant direction by Guillermo del Toro. Wesley Snipes gives one of his best lead performances, using his natural charisma & martial-arts prowess to give Blade the swagger of a character who not only is good at vampires but enjoys it. He gets a great cast to back him up, with Luke Goss making an imposing villain as Nomak while Kristofferson returns to give his grudging wisdom. The only downside is that some of the cast feels shortchanged (the great Donnie Yen is under-used as Snowman). Behind the camera, Del Toro delivers an atmospheric and scary experience. Blood & gore have never been more beautiful, while the Reapers have a nice Nosferatu quality to them. The action is top notch as well, with the final battle between Nomak & Blade being one of the best superhero fights ever filmed. One of the best vampire movies in recent memory and one of the best comic book movies to date.
September 2, 2014
Awesome sequel 2 the original film. I love both blade 1 and 2 can you blush? Great line.
August 6, 2014
See "Blade Trinity" review.
garyX
October 21, 2006
Wesley Snipes once again dons the leather overcoat, this time to join forces with an elite vampire unit to combat a race of Nosferatu-like zombie vampire hybrids who threaten to over-run both races. Blade II is essentially the vampire film's answer to Aliens with the high-octane action of the first film still in evidence but this time it is added to by Guillermo Del Toro's keen sense of style and atmosphere. The production design is fantastic and the script involving different factions constantly vying for the upper hand is far more complex than that of most superhero films (David Goyer went on to co-write The Dark Knight). My only gripe is that some of the CGI is starting to look a little dated in a similar way to the original Spiderman films, but this is a comparatively minor point. It may not be to everyone's taste, but for fans of the genre it is a visceral cocktail of vampiric gore and martial arts mayhem that action junkies and horror fans alike should not miss.
June 13, 2007
a great sequel that surpasses the first. whistler being back is a big help. Intense and fun. Makes me wonder what Del Toro could have done with Trinity
½ December 21, 2013
Once it's on you don't turn it off, it's just getting it on thats the problem for me.