66% The Equalizer Sep 26

62% Under the Dome: Season 2

Blade: Trinity Reviews

John M

March 23, 2007
Ryan reynolds absolutely steals the show in this one!!
Bob S

June 10, 2007
bogus tired crap
Eugene B

July 27, 2013
A downgrade to the previous two films, Blade: Trinity trades the bloody good action to simplified and gore-ridden entertainment. Still suffering from poor storytelling and even more, the dullness of action sequences, the film is a sore tooth just yearning to be yanked out. 2.5/5
cosmo313
cosmo313

February 5, 2011
This is the third and final film in the saga concerning the half-human half-vampire (daywalker) vampire hunter Blade. This time around series writer David S.Goyer decided to both write and direct...and the result is really as awful as everyone said it was.

After getting set up and put on the bad side of the FBI Blade joins forces with some younger and inexperienced (though not totally rookie) vampire hunters who call themselves the Nightstalkers. They are lead by the obnoxious motormouth Hannibal Kane and Abigail Whistler, the daughter of Blade's mentor and only real friend. Together, they fight a a gang of vamps who have resurrected Dracula in a quest to dominate mankind once and for all.

The film has a lot of story going on, and, while some of it is cool, the way it's all thrown together and executed is quite poor. The film, simply put, is a mess. All this stuff gets thrown in, yet none of it ever gets satisfactorily fleshed out and developed. Also, the ending is just a real boring letdown.

The film did experience a really troubled production, and lots of people are to blame, but the two who probably deserve it most are Goyer who just totally blew his wad to do something epic, and Snipes who was apparently really difficult ot work with, quite angry with the direction Goyer was taking things, and quite hostile to his costars. It shows too, because ihis performance is one of the most blatantly phoned in and lifeless I've seen in a while. The same can be said for Kristofferson,too.

All the newcomer, which include notable names like Jessica Biel, Ryan Reynolds, Dominic Purcell, Parker Posey, Triple H, Natasha lyonne, and Patton Oswalt all seem to be at least trying, but even then, none of them are really able to save things. The film overall is really immature, obnoxious, and stupid, and its obvious this was being aimed at a far younger demographic than the other films were.

I don't mind humor, but the way it's done here is just lame and unpleasant. It's taken way too far, and Reynolds is annoying to the max. Admittedly he does have a few lines that are quite funny, but mostly I just wanted him to shut up. Also, there's some other ridiculous stuff here too, like a reference to a vampire themed vibrator(which is briefly focused on), and the fact that there's a vampire pomeranian. Okay...so the dog is sorta amusing, but still...pretty dumb. I do think that Biel was actually a decent fit though, and I'm not really a fan of her as an actress to begin with.

Despite the plot being a mess, there's plenty of action. Oddly enough though, the film seems rather tame where blood and gore is concerned. I mean, there's some, but it really came off like the studio was really strict about the content, and that's a shame, since it really lessens the impact of the experience.

Here's the thing: the movie sucks..big time, but it does have its moments. It's not really boring, but you don't care either. It is occasionally amusing and entertaining, but remains a major disappointment. What makes this last bit sting even more is that, while some people aren't trying, others are, so it's a real mixed bag. It'd be a lot better if the apathy and screwing up was uniform across the board.

Even if you're a completist, I'd recommend skipping this one. If you must insist on watching it, at least take precautions like getting really drunk beforehand or something.
Eric A

September 30, 2011
Clearly not as good as the first two, but still entertaining. Just like most third movies in a franchise, this movie should probably just have been left as a thought and never put onto film.
Al S

October 2, 2006
A rip-roaring, wickedly funny and spectacularly action-packed thrill-machine. A terrifically enjoyable movie. It's a total non-stop fun ride. It is hard to resist. An explosive, pulse-pounding, adrenaline-pumping and heart pounding movie ride. A roller-coaster of thrills and chills that just keeps going all the way to the explosive end. The action is the best yet with great gun-battles, chases and fight scenes with lots of energy. Wesley Snipes still packs the goods delivering exactly what we want. Dominic Purcell is excellent. Jessica Biel is terrific. Ryan Reynolds is excellent, delivering lots of humor and a new tough presence.
KJ P

October 1, 2010
Without having seen the first two films sadly, I have to take a stab at a review here. I did not hate this film, but it definitely was far too much over-the-top nonsense that did not need to be happening. I was unfamiliar with the character and everything, but either way, it was a poor film with some cool action sequences!
Richard C

July 29, 2010
it was okay. there are some awesome action scenes. there are also some stupid parts and this movie isnt that serious. the first two a far better. it wasnt great. C
Conner R

November 28, 2009
A complete train wreck, but it's almost so bad that it's good. I love Dracula's nick name of "Drake", that never gets old. While it has some laughable performances from Dominic Purcell and Ryan Reynolds, Jessica Biel and Parker Posey were actually very good. Wesley Snipes Definitely upped his game this time around and was the Blade from part I that was so much fun.
Anthony L

September 23, 2009
Enough already! The first film was ok, the second film was really good but this one just doesn't improve on the franchise. Dracula? You having a laugh! completists only!
Coxxie M

June 3, 2009
yea so this movie sux ass but the t.v. series still makes this look like Blade 1
Phil H

August 13, 2007
Nice to have a trilogy but this is one too many, its gone the mass audience route and lost its violent adult theme. The story is stretched and the characters aren't too cool, Ryan Reynolds?? please, Dracula?? errr silly. The look is still slick but thats it. Tame.
Cassandra M

May 2, 2009
OK i gotta say this film totally kicks a*s!! i mean i love ALL the blade films,and its not often a sequel is good but blade 2 was excellent and a third to be successful...amazing!!this film was different to the other 2 yeah,but it had to be!it seemed to me that it had to do something different to the other 2, so it was more real world,real life and it definitely got away with it. Wesley snipes played blade just as good as ever,with an extra bit of humour to gave it that bit more. ryan reynolds,an assett to the film,not the typical "super-hero" guy,more down to earth yet kicked butt in his fights,jessica biel,fantastic as there was a woman who was equal to the men and just owned the part! an awesome film,could watch it time and time again. very impressed for a third film! the writer did a great job in creating a new blade film with different,more realistic scenes and storyline. BRILLIANT!
Edward B

November 2, 2006
The third act in a trilogy has to do something with the franchise, put everything into perspective. If I want to see mindless action, I can just watch the first two Blades.
Jani H

October 25, 2007
"Blade, ready to die?
- I was born ready, motherfucker!"

Comic book related movies are very popular and many of the franchises have a third part. They tend to be the weekest of 'em all (Spiderman, X-Men...) and there's no exception here.

"Blade Trinity" continues the saga in an interesting way. Blade kills a familiar ("vampire slave") and now he's a target also for the FBI. The first quarter of the movie is just like we're used to know Blade; action, serious dialogue without forgetting the humor. Then comes the Nightstalkers. After that, Blade is not the main character anymore. Hannibal King (Ryan Reynolds) and Abigail Whistler (Jessica Biel) enter the scene.

They suit up to hunt down and kill, Dracula (or Draco), the first of 'em all. The vampires have a "Final solution", a plan to make all vampires "daywalkers", the next step in their evolution.

I must say that I enjoyed "Blade Trinity" in a way. But the film has several flaws. The main problem is that it doesn't back up the development of the Blade story. How come Abigail wasn't introduced to the viewers, even if she says that she has faught vampires her entire adult life. I thought that Whistler told Blade everything. The second problem is that there's too much humor. Reynolds is ok but enough is enough.

"Blade Trinity" is ok, it has action, good special effects but too many main characters. It tends to drag a little bit and the dialogue is kinda stupid. This kind of humor just doesn't fit in a Blade movie. "Blade Trinity" could've been much better, if for example Guillermo Del Toro would've continued from where he left. For fans only...
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

December 3, 2008
"The final hunt begins."

A fearless warrior immune to vampires, Blade (Snipes) has become a hated enemy of the bloodsucking community, and as they gather in their desert compound, a group of vampires is plotting to eliminate Blade once and for all by turning the mortal community against him. The vampires have concocted a misinformation campaign that paints a picture of Blade as a ruthless murderer and has sent the FBI on the vampire hunter's trail, led by the relentless agent Cumberland (James Remar). At the same time, the vampires have brought their founding father, Dracula, back to his undead state, renaming him Drake (Dominic Purcell) and investing him with special powers that allow him to walk unharmed in daylight. After a dangerous encounter with Cumberland, Blade and his ally, Whistler (Kris Kristofferson), form an uneasy alliance with a scruffy team of human vampire slayers, the Nighstalkers, led by Hannibal King (Ryan Reynolds), and Whistler's daughter, Abigail (Jessica Biel. While Sommerfield (Natasha Lyonne), a biologist working with the Nightstalkers, researches a scientific answer to the vampire problem, Blade and his comrades take a more hands-on approach against Drake and his minions, including Danica Talos (Parker Posey), Asher (Callum Keith Rennie), and Grimwood (Triple H).

Review
There are vampire movies of all shapes and sorts in the cinema world. But where some suffer from age and others from poor effects, "Blade Trinity" has no such excuses for being a lacklustre, badly acted and bluntly delivered piece of schlock. The storyline is predictable to the point of being tedious, the dialogue (even the supposed "banter" between Snipes and Reynolds) is plodding and the acting is painfully poor. Parker Posey in particular hams it up so much she'd make even Vincent Price shudder with embarrassment. What is more the treatment of Dracula (or "Drake" as the scriptwriters decided to call him - was this some attempt to modernise the evil Count?) is shameful, and would have had Bram Stoker physically retching if he were to have seen it for himself. Where Blade (and to some extent Blade II) gave us something new and exciting, Blade Trinity treads the same old ground with heavy, clodhopping feet to produce what is quite frankly a miserable result. If you've only seen Blade and/or Blade II, avoid this film unless you want to have nightmares about how low a once reasonably decent movie franchise can sink.
Ken S

March 24, 2007
My 2nd favorite in the series, but only because I have a soft spot for Ryan Reynolds (and a hard one for Jessica Biel)
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

June 30, 2007
Wesley Snipes is cool as always, but the long-winded, unengaging plot made we very sleepy about halfway in. Nothing really stood out about this film and it was virtually impossible not to cringe at all the cheese factors and badly timed comic reliefs. Not exactly what I'd call a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy. But I suppose that's the consequence of not having Guillermo Del Toro in the director's chair.
Alexander W

March 1, 2008
Good follow up to the first film with a running storyline and deeper plot, action scenes and acting still strong as before.
Tim S

July 30, 2007
Terrible writing. This series could have been cool.