• PG-13, 1 hr. 33 min.

Blades of Glory Reviews

blkbomb
blkbomb

February 14, 2013
Chazz: Troubled childhood? If you consider a 9 year old kid with a 35 year old girlfriend troubled.

"Kick Some Ice"

Blades of Glory has been a movie that I had very little interest in ever watching. What with Jon Heder, who I normally hate, and a plot that revolves around figure skating; I never really figured it had a whole lot to offer. I finally checked it out though, and I was completely wrong. While this is no great achievement, it is a movie that I really loved. It's pure fun from start to finish and that's coming from somebody that never even wanted to see this movie to begin with.

Two men's figure skating rivals, Chazz Michael Michaels and Jimmy MacElroy are two of the best in the sport. While competing at the world championships, they end up tying for the gold medal. While on the podium, the two get into a fight which results in them being stripped of their medals and also prohibited from ever being able to compete in the sport they both love. After a few years one of Jimmy's biggest fans tells him that he can still compete, but it has to be in doubles. So through some weird meet up, Chazz and Jimmy join together as a team to try to smell the gold once again.

I have to admit to being a big Will Farrell fan. I understand that some can't stand the guy, but I for one love his delivery in his movies. His performance as Chazz is one that really brings back memories of his performance as Ricky Bobby. Both are done in sports that a lot of people don't really give a shit about, and his character in both is very egotistical. As a Will Farrell fan, this movie stands out to me as one of my favorites he's ever done, and his ridiculous performance as Chazz is one of my favorite performances from him ever.

Blades of Glory has a hell of a lot more going for it then I could have ever thought. It's comedy won't be for everyone, but if it fits your taste, you'll love it. There's a lot of great satire of the sport of figure skating just as there was in Talladega Nights. The film also has a wonderful and big supporting cast including Jenna Fischer, William Fichtner, and Craig T. Nelson. Blades of Glory is definitely worth a shot because if you don't over critique it, you'll be in for a really fun viewing experience.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

February 17, 2012
Talladega Nights is so much better. This movie has such a great cast but the film makes (almost) no attempt at making the characters likable, it has no specific target audience and is sometimes more gross than funny. I loved the chemistry between ferrel and heder but the movie itself is just a mess.
Eric A

December 2, 2011
Will Ferrell hasn't lost a step and is still great as always. In a bit of a different quirky role, Ferrell adds to the film tremendously, more than I can describe. I loved the film, thought it was funny, and is a must see in the comedy genre.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 24, 2011
Blades of Glory is Ricky Bobby + Napoleon Dynamite. Two pro skaters named Chazz Micheals and Jimmy MacElroy (Will Ferell, Jon Heder) hate each other and when the two fight, they are disqualified from skating ever again. When Jimmys trainer suggests the two team up so they can skate again, they must work out theor differences to bring home the gold. The plot of the film is okay, nothing more than two guys making a comeback and soon becoming friends. Will Ferell and Jon heder are the best part of the film, im a huge fan of both of them and having both of them in one film is hilarious, great casting. The jokes were good, but a little gross and stupid at times, even for these two. Overall I like this movie, even if other don't.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 24, 2011
A funny way to potray ice skating. I liked it! A must see!
Conner R

January 27, 2011
One of Will Ferrell's downfall movies. This isn't horrible, it's just not anything we haven't seen before. Will Ferrell and Jon Heder are both way too over the top to make the premise seem believable. In fact, I wish the movie was centered around the incestuous relationship between Will Arnett and Amy Poehler.
Coxxie M

June 3, 2009
i honestly think watching this killed a few of my brain cells. I AM JON HEDER AND I LOVE MONEY!
michael e.
michael e.

November 4, 2010
in my mind its the funniest of will ferrels films, Jon Heder also did a great job. The comedy is spot on and the ice skating choreography is amazing. My favorite scene is the final ice skating competition where they play one of my favorite songs "Flash" from one of my favorite bands "Queen"
Richard C

July 21, 2010
B+
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

July 15, 2010
Blades Of Glory was officially for me, at least the nail in the coffin to Will Farrell's career. Using old jokes from previous films seems to be the norm, and in this case the filmmakers use pretty much every Ferrell flick as a point of reference to try to and find creative on screen gags. The result, a washed, poorly stitched together comedy film with stale jokes that only the most diehard and pathetic Ferrell fans will enjoy. Which is sad, because this guy we all knew was going to suck eventually, and this film is the second death rattle for Ferrell. His career will eventually fade into the darkness.
KJ P

January 11, 2010
This film has it's extremely gay scenes, however I highly enjoyed this piece from Will Ferrel!
Lewis C

June 10, 2007
It's Will Ferrell + ice skating. Either you're already laughing (in that case, see the movie), or you're waiting for me to get to the interesting part (Blades of Glory probably isn't for you).

The movie was as funny as one would expect. Besides the two main characters, Jenna Fischer, Amy Poehler, and Will Arnett also are along for the ride. Once again, you're either blown away by the cast (see the movie), or you're scratching your head (avoid it).
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

September 18, 2007
what a hilarious movie. a little crude for my taste but incredibly funny and fun to watch. watching craig t nelson in a role like this was a delight. jenna fischer is always a delight.
thmtsang
thmtsang

June 24, 2007
Very funny and original movie about two rival iceskaters who get disqualified from male figure skating competition. The rivals join forces and enter pair figure skating in the Winter Olympics. Funny moves and costumes.
Anthony L

September 30, 2009
Has a few laughs and a few good characters but it?s not great.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

August 31, 2007
Ferrell and Heder do make a good team. Both of their characters possess qualities and quirks that are similar to past roles but that does not lessen their performances but in fact adds to them by creating a familiar relationship with the audiences.

The movie provided laughs throughout, several via the skating and one of my favorite sequences is a chase scene between Ferrell and Arnett that will not be soon forgotten. This is one of the movies I can just think about and bust out laughing. "Blades" delivers for the kind of movie it is supposed to be. My only suggestion would be to bring a friend.
Jose Z

July 22, 2008
It was funny but not as funny as I expected. Some of the situations are ridiculous and exaggerated. The cast is very good. Will Ferrell is as always hilarious although in this movie was a little over the edge, Jon Heder performance was great, he was all sissy and fancy, the couple of Amy Phoeler and Will Arnett was excellent and Jenna Fischer was really good too. In conclusion, it was a film with the only purpose of entertaining, so if you wanna see it turn your brain off.
Leigh R

May 9, 2007
It was funny enough to enjoy.
Red L

April 12, 2008
OK, I guess it is a funny movie. I didn't like it much. I prefer my humour a bit more subtle.
Bobby H

April 4, 2008
Good for what it is. It had some great funny parts, and Jenna Fischer was hott! Both actors had better movies though, but it was cool too see them play in one together. The storyline could of been more developed, but then again, for a crazy comedy such as this - it probably wouldnt of done well to stretch it or make it make more sense, as it already was whacked enough.
Good movie, good actors, not so good storyline.