The Blair Witch Project Reviews

½ September 22, 2012
Starts out creepy enough but quickly descends into a boringly trite and suspense-free rip-off of "Cannibal Holocaust". It also does not help that the three students are ultra-whiney and complete idiots (I have trouble sympathizing with characters that get lost in a forest despite possessing a compass and a map).

Similar to "Paranormal Activity" where most of the scare tactics comprise of repetitive teasing that has little to underwhelming pay-offs. It also contains one of the lamest endings to a film ever.

In the end, this horror schlock is more famous for it's gimmicky "true-story" marketing and found-footage style (which was cutting-edge for the time before it was over-used thanks to the popularity of this film and "Paranormal Activity") than as a quality piece of cinema.
May 18, 2013
Awful trash. Not scarey...just pathetic.
June 24, 2007
An atmospheric, genuinely creepy horror movie that gets unfairly bashed just because people can't appreciate the art of building suspense through the use of setting. Basically, you either come to hate the characters for what idiots and whiners they are (and they are, but you still want them to get out safely), or you are fascinated by the dread and horror that slowly creep in when the group gets lost and realizes that they are not alone. The hand-held camera shooting style is the main reason why it's so terrifying. The ending is truly haunting as well. This movie was the first of its kind when it came out, and the influence it had on the horror genre is irrefutable.
October 2, 2011
Reputation precedes this work justifiably as the effect achieved is immersion into the DNA of terror namely: your own imagination. One might ask, "What's the worst that can happen?", but in truth you already know. You already know.
July 29, 2010
An innovation in film making and the first in the realism by the handheld camera genre, Blair Witch sparked films such as Cloverfield, Paranormal Activity, and Quarantine. Besides that, it is a really well made film. Drawing on old Hollywood's technique of building suspense without showing the ghost in the closet or the scary monster under the bed, Blair Witch leaves much up to the imagination. Three filmmakers, two are friendly, one is an outsider. As they become lost in the vast woods, running low on supplies and turning on one another for a scapegoat, they also come into contact with a series of strange events, including footsteps all around their campsite, piles of rocks, and bundles of twigs that were not there when they arrived. Blair addresses all the audience's concerns by answering the questions of: Why are you still filming even though there's a witch after you? Where's the confrontation towards your new member? Everything that you're expecting to poke holes in is covered, and so it's a character study in a way. As the terror builds, the truth comes out amongst them: we may die. Not of starvation, but by the hands of this thing that's hunting us. The drive in the witch is fueled by Joshua's disturbance of a scared cairn, and in doing so is her principle target, getting slimed and chased through the woods. This ghost is furious, all powerful, and unstoppable, exemplifying the best kind of fear. The only reason I couldn't get into it fully was because I know none of it is real, this isn't 1999 when the sensationalism was building for this film, and Paranormal Activity scared the pants off me years later with its payoff. Still, a true gem of horror film making.
Kyle F.
August 9, 2011
Although it might seem sluggish to some, the whole thing is fascinating and incredibly realistic. The concept is simple but powerful, and the movie shifts from fun joyride to riveting drama to shocking horror. It's surprising that nobody in this movie got nominated for an oscar, considering how realistic they were in extremely demanding roles. In the end the movie's not full out scary, but it's creepy and gut wrenching and really makes you feel for the three students. I had trouble sleeping afterward even though I was long way away from any woods.
½ August 1, 2011
4 and a half stars simply for it's uniqueness. Breakthrough movie with new scares and filming techniques. Good movie when I was 10 and good movie to this day. Props.
murphmann93
June 23, 2011
Scary but the storyline is badly written. Quite boring and overrated.
sergioogarcia
June 23, 2011
Another classic. Supposedly put it togheter from an amateur video about a Blair's witch documentary. That's the key of the film. Really scary if you think of it that way.
blkbomb
½ January 18, 2011
Josh: "OK, here's your motivation. You're lost, you're angry in the woods, and no one is here to help you. There's a witch and she keeps leaving shit outside your door. There's no one here to help you! She left little trinkets, you took one of them, she ran after us. There's no one here to help you! We walked for 15 hours today, we ended up in the same place! There's no one here to help you, THAT'S your motivation! THAT'S YOUR MOTIVATION!" Besides The House of the Devil, The Blair Witch Project is my favorite horror movie made in the last 15 years. There is something to be said for a movie that can show absolutely nothing and still be as scary as this movie is. Watching the actors; it's actually believable that all this happened. It doesn't at all seem like they are acting. It seems like they are in a screwed up situation and they are reacting like anyone would. I love how the movie is shot. I like the shaky cam. It gives the movie a much more real feel. Other than the ending, my favorite part of the movie is the interviews. They really set us up for everything that is going to happen throughout the entire movie. The father son fishing interview was by far the best. It was funny and just like real life. Sme people believe, some don't. This is a very under appreciated movie.
DreamExtractor
½ March 5, 2011
One of my favorite horror films. It works on so many levels because (unlike Paranormal Activity) the handheld camera works, and the actors are unknown so I could believe them better.
TheDudeLebowski65
March 19, 2011
Looking back over ten years after it's initial release, The Blair Witch Project is an impressive, yet flawed documentary style Horror film. Filmed as "found" footage, Blair Witch is a chilling film. However there are many films of in this genre that are far superior to this film. One example comes to mind, Cannibal Holocaust. Cannibal Holocaust was more raw, intense and chilling than this. Many people have claimed that this film ripped off Cannibal Holocaust, I can see similarities, example the found footage angle. But thats where it ends. The Blair Witch Project is not a perfect film, but you have to admit that they were able to craft something like this with a 16 mm Camera and turn out a profit, and making it one of the most "chilling", "scary" "found footage" films ever as what everyone in the movie critics circle has been saying about this film. I don't think it's scary, but I do believe its chilling. The Blair Witch Project is the type of film thats been sorta killed by the hype. Every mainstream critic that called it the scariest film since The Exorcist doesn't know what they're talking about. I mentioned it was the scariest of it kind, but I stress the fact that it's what mainstream critics say of this film. Blair Witch is chilling and tense, but never feels truly scary. There are far better films of this genre that are much more scary, disturbing and twisted than this. I enjoyed the film, I thought it was a very creative effort, but honestly I don't see why the film has gotten so much praise than it deserves is beyond me. If you want the best found footage film, hunt down a copy of the unrated, uncut version Cannibal Holocaust. But if you're new to the genre, then give this one a look. A good film, but nothing phenomenal.
sanjurosamurai
½ January 9, 2007
not as "good" as many other horror favorites, but this is simply put the single scariest film that i have ever seen. the ambiance is perfect for fear and the filming method made for a terrifying atmosphere. very effective.
½ March 3, 2008
"I'm afraid to close my eyes. I'm afraid to open them."

The Blair Witch Project was the first really popular "found footage" movie of my generation, and Cloverfield, Paranormal Activity, [Rec]/Quarantine, and other movies owe a lot of their success to this low-budget flick. If was mega-popular (though divisive) when it was released in 1999, but is it still chilling when watched today? For the most part, yes.

What makes The Blair Witch Project effective is the great way that atmosphere and fear of the unknown are used, as well as how well the three actors sell their frustration, unease, and finally, terror. As the three amateur filmmakers get more and more lost in the woods, their anger and annoyance at one another and their situation does a great job of raising the tension. Add that to the local legends that they were exposed to before venturing out into the wilderness and the odd, disturbing events that start happening each night, and you've got a pretty creepy little film.

The key to enjoying movies like The Blair Witch Project is how easily you can suspend your sense of disbelief and just go with what you're seeing. If the movie can draw you in, you'll probably have a good time with it. I didn't have a hard time putting myself in the shoes of our trio, and I know that if I had been in their situation, I would have been well and properly freaked out. It had been probably five years since I last saw this, but It still gave me the creeps and I still love the ending. It's a fun movie for the right kind of horror fan.
stevenecarrier
November 6, 2010
Daniel Myrick and Eduardo Sanchez turned the horror genre on it's ear with their 1999 release of "The Blair Witch Project" by creating a whole new sub-genre; the found footage genre. Love it or hate it, it sure makes for some interesting films, and no one can contend with the fact that "The Blair Witch Project" is a true original. It's a film that plays totally with the psychology of the viewer and uses very simple objects and settings to scare you. It's all quite simple and brilliant if you ask me. "The Blair Witch Project" is also a classic for being the first of the late 90s films to really tap into the new media emerging at the time, churning the hype machine (this new thing called the Internet) like no other. "The Blair Witch Project" will always remain a game changer no matter how you feel about the final product. Personally, I love this camp fire story come to life and embrace it in all it's freedom and creativity.
½ October 1, 2010
The film that started the first person camera shot technique, and does it amazingly. No, it's not scary, but it provides chills all the way through that keeps your eyes glued to the screen. It's not the best horror/suspense film ever made, and is a bit overrated, but I actually did not expect to like it as much as I did. Well paced, interesting characters, and a story that would send shivers down your spine. The Blair Witch delivers! The ending is a bit of a letdown, but besides that, it's fantastic!
½ July 30, 2010
Not really scary so much as interesting and original.
½ November 18, 2009
It's really well done for what it is, even though it's an accidental rip-off of Cannibal Holocaust. The acting was kinda corny, not to say that it wasn't realistic for moronic film students who wanted to film a documentary about a witch. The main reason it works is because of that fear of the unknown, but when you don't deliver at all it tends to get annoying.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
December 26, 2008
"I'm afraid to close my eyes, I'm afraid to open them."

In October of 1994, three student film makers disappeared in the woods near Burkittesville, Maryland. One year later, their footage was found.

REVIEW
Highly disturbing shoe-string flick that has three college film students going out in the woods of nearby Burkittesville, Maryland to find an entity only known as the Blair Witch. The three individuals do not take the mumbo-jumbo seriously at first, but as they film their journey the tension builds to a fevered pitch. Strange occurrences and loud nights cause the three to slowly go crazy and their safety becomes a major concern as the clock ticks. Could the myth really be a reality? "The Blair Witch Project" is one of those films that was copied by hacks in the subsequent years that followed, some of them good but a good majority failed. This will all cause many to forget how creative and truly original this film is. The documentary style and the clever advertising campaign led many to believe that this was in fact reality. The craze was on par with that of "The Exorcist" for a short time in 1999. Followed by an interesting but somewhat disappointing sequel, "The Blair Witch Project" makes a real case for best horror film of the 1990s and one of the finest productions ever for the usually trivial genre.