The Blair Witch Project - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Blair Witch Project Reviews

April 30, 2016
The Blair Witch Project was a low budget film strong enough to send chills down your spine relatively better than a horror film up to date.
May 27, 2008
I'm going to go there and say that this was a bit boring, even when I originally saw it. the whole concept of found footage was unheard of when it came out, and I remember that people were fainting in the theatres and panicking blah blah blah, and I didn't quite understand it then
I watched it again recently and still wasn't afraid or even intrigued, just tired. Tired and hungry
½ April 11, 2016
Despite its low budget, The Blair Witch Project is groundbreaking for 3 reasons:
1) It launched the "handi-cam" cinematic device;
2) It launched the "found footage" cinematic device; and
3) It launched the "mockuhistory" backstory Internet marketing device.

The BWP started the "hand-cam" revolution adopted by many films to follow, including Cloverfield (2008). Many complaints upon its release were about viewers throwing up at the theatres due to the jagged camera action. In fact, a person 2 rows behind me threw up. I though Cloverfield's jagged camera work was much more pronounced.

The BWP also started the "found footage" device copied by Cloverfield and Trollhunter (2010) amongst others. This film truly trailblazed a genre of cinema with a low budget and is wholly underrated.

The "handi-cam", "found footage" and "Internet marketing" cinematic devices used in Cloverfield are a direct rip-off of the BWP. This earlier low-budget film is vastly underrated, especially because it trailblazed a path for high-budget films like Cloverfield, which are largely unoriginal in comparison. Cloverfield also stole The BWP's Internet "mockuhistory" backstory marketing device.

BWP is a simple, low budget film that was expertly shot to invoke terror, suspense and horror in the viewer by what happens off-screen, rather than on the screen. Often this storytelling device is much more effective than the blood and gore that so many modern viewers have become accustomed to.

I watched this on the big screen when it was originally released. The film made me think about its events long after I viewed it. It does not nearly have the same effect watching it on TV or video, especially with a number of chatty viewers. It is a psychological thriller that needs to be absorbed in isolation by the viewer for full effect.

The website and mockuhistory of the Witch was also groundbreaking in its day, adding to the hype.

Audiences typically attracted to horror films, especially teens, have become immune by the saturation of blood and gore in Hollywood thrasher flicks that they have largely forgotten how to think and become absorbed into a story. They will need to be tolerant of how the BWP is trying to convey its story. I can see that this same mass crowd would not appreciate this film and attribute a poor rating.
½ April 10, 2016
Horrible movie. Nothing even remotely scary about it.
May 20, 2015
It's laughable, but game-changing
March 30, 2016
The birth of found footage films?ð???
½ March 30, 2016
Honestly disgusted by the 55% approval rating from audiences. This movie was raw, creative, and bonechilling. One of the greatest examples of imagination is the most potent fear ever.
½ March 23, 2016
4.5/5 The king of found footage films? Possibly.
½ October 26, 2011
The phenomenon that has become a cult scare in today's time, remains fresh till date. Those who want real scares, unlike cheap thrills, will enjoy this movie.
½ March 13, 2016
Con un ambiente realista y tensión continua, esta película logra un falso documental creíble, dejando aspectos interesantes a la imaginación de los espectadores. (4.5/5)
March 11, 2016
Probably one of the best, if not the best of the found footage genre, is the one that started it all. The Blair witch project is an affecting film filled with atmosphere, and mystery. The cast of unknown actors turn in surprisingly believable performances, you can actually feel their fear. Besides for the weak and intentionally unclear ending, the Blair witch project is a great film.
½ October 19, 2014
Spooky. Original. As thrilling and chilling as the Omen. This hand shot found-footage, documentary style movie is a wonderful watch - with each of the previous methods of shooting doing its bit to increase the creepiness of the movie. And the woods add to the whole thing.
Must watch.
½ January 7, 2016
I feel that this movie is very very overrated. I understand that it pirated the found footage genre and people thought it was real, but I still think the film wasn't as good as I've been told. I saw this movie when I was 10 and I thought it wasn't scary at all! A 10 year old is usually scared by anything. This film is very overrated and average at best. Has great acting but what the fuck did people find so scary about this movie???
February 26, 2016
A well-made and planned signature film of the found footage subgenre, TBWP raises many questions of realism, mixing it with concerns of photography and challenging the very essence of cinematic space and how emotions, atmosphere, and content get delivered to its audiences.
½ February 25, 2016
It's not scary as in make you jump but it's still pretty scary in a different way!
½ February 25, 2016
73%
Saw this on 25/2/16
Its well acted and the film effectively captures the paranoia and psychological tension that its characters experience, but in the last 20 minutes, the film loses mostly all of its steam and provides a half hearted attempt. The film is also made so poorly that no one sane enough can like the chaotic cinematography that pauses too often.
February 13, 2016
One of the smartest and most frightening horror films. The blair witch project takes found footage style camera work and sends chills down our spines -- even if nothing is onscreen.
September 19, 2010
It has been the only movie which really scared me a lot for days.
½ June 19, 2011
A slow burner that's worth hanging in there for even if it will piss allot of people off.
½ January 17, 2016
If you enjoy movies about Whiney teenagers in a Whiney forest, while doing a Whiney documentary about the Whiney Blair Witch, then screaming at each other because they lost a Whiney map... Then this is the movie for you.

Ps. The only thing I liked about this film was that some people decided to make one of the lowest budget horror movies.... And made it a classic. Impressive. Not talking to the script writer.