• R, 1 hr. 24 min.
  • On DVD:    Oct 26, 1999
  • Artisan Pictures

The Blair Witch Project Reviews

Jake R ½ August 23, 2014
This film is terrifying due to the sheer insanity depicted by its three main characters as they find themselves lost in the woods with a quickly depleting sense of survival. Add to the mix the haunting idea of an ancient witch bloodlessly on their pursuit, and you have one of the most riveting and aggressive portraits of modern horror yet conceived. It is the mother of the "found footage" style of horror filmmaking, yet so many of its predecessors struggle to find the crucial element that made this so successful: the fact that less is more, and it is our own fears and expectations that scare us more than anything else.
Linda M August 19, 2014
Couldn't even scare a 2 year old...
Nathan M ½ August 9, 2014
This movie isn't about the Blair Witch, or even really about horror. It's about how we unwind when put in increasingly stressful situations. This couldn't have been done without a crew of amateurs eliciting downright raw emotional anxiety from both themselves and the viewers.
The "this is a true story" bits might been a bit unnecessary, but as a film it's still incredibly stressful and quite horrifying.
Emily W. Emily W. ½ July 30, 2014
It's folklore, urban legend, a tried and true method of scaring the sleep out of people.
Nigel H ½ April 8, 2014
Just goes to show that you don't need blood, gore, and scary monsters to make a great horror film.
Connor G. Connor G. July 29, 2014
I can appreciate it as a money-making venture, which it excelled at, but everything about it was cloying and didn't come anywhere near being scary.
tehe tehe July 29, 2014
The consensus says it all. You have to use your imagination on what the hell is terrorizing a group of film makers who's making a documentary on this thing called the Blair witch. It supposedly haunts the hills of a small Massachusetts town...and trust me when I say this. It's fucking stupid. I'm usually scared when it comes to this stuff, because of extremely afraid of the paranormal. Deathly afraid almost and this had a demotic feel to it. I've pushing this off because frankly I hear it sucks...and damn we're those people right. I can't I wasn't scared at parts, because that would be a lie. It's actually freaky in the middle part because of the unknown. It's like paranormal activity, we are given little tidbits of scary things, and eventually they get worse. This is nothing new, except it's the first of its kind. Unlike PA, this ends in the most idiotic way. It's like the directors were too cheap to show what was terrifying them. We are only given auto and the auto is freighting, but not when there's nothing to back up the voice. The ending also ends with the witch screaming and then all of a student we see one of the characters staring at a wall...the camera falls and nothing. Stupid as shot and the ending of a movie really shows the strength of a film....and this falls flat on its ass. Overall this movie is laughable at parts, very emotional with some sense of greatness, but falls too flat at the end to care. 2.4
Zafer K July 28, 2014
waste of time.
sikerim böyle filmi. bak yine akl?ma geldi ya. amk
Sharon B May 25, 2014
Effectively develops tension & fear of the unknown using found footage, however the characters are unlikable & by the end we want more.
Blake S July 27, 2014
An insult to the horror genre. This has got to be the worst movies ever. If you really want to be scared, go watch The Exorcist. It's won't waste your time like this movie. All The Blair Witch Project does is lead you on all the way to a horrible ending. This movie should be considered a comedy.
Michael A July 18, 2014
Still the creepiest movie I've seen. Best Horror Films I've seen.
Oskar B May 18, 2014
A movie that contain the horror in a very unique way, and does it succesfully. It's actually rather scary most of the time, because of the way it was filmed, the acting and the raw way it were portrayed as if it was a true story.
Henrik B ½ July 3, 2014
I saw this movie for the first time a decade ago. I decided to watch it again after many years and my expectations were only increased since. Unfortunately didn't the movie live up to the expectations. The story wasn't as frightening as i hoped and the ending felt very anti-climatic. But it's still creepy as f**k and it's still much better than recent horror movies

Watch it if you like:
Paranormal Activity, The Fog (1980), The Grudge
Joey T
June 30, 2014
Good horror films are difficult to come by, yet some manage to stand the test of time while also acting as sort of a revolutionary step for the genre. That is The Blair Witch Project. Though its filming can be a little nauseating at times and the ending could be a hit or miss to most audiences, The Blair Witch Projects remains one of the most powerful found footage horror films thanks to its reliance on improvisation from the actors as well as relying on the audiences' imagination to create the horrors rather than using cheap jump scares. If you're looking to be genuinely scared, The Blair Witch Project still manages to be a film that can haunt you today.
Andrew Targaryen Andrew Targaryen October 15, 2012
Before the Internet hit full-stride, film marketing was a completely different concept. Film trailers were around to preview movies to the masses, but the likes of viral marketing campaigns, online speculation, and teasers for teaser trailers were rare, if existant at all. Instead, film's were marketed for what they were, no tricks involved. That's why the release of The Blair Witch Project in 1999 had such an impact on film marketing. Using a website that documented mythology of the titular Blair Witch, trailers that hinted at the film's footage being completely real, and reports that the "actors" in the film were missing and presumed dead, audiences were instantly attracted to the tiny indie film's mysterious nature and uncertainty regarding the reality of its story. This all goes without noting how utterly terrifying The Blair Witch Project truly is, using tactics that distance itself from most other horror movies, old and new.

The Blair Witch Project follows the story hinted at throughout the film's massive marketing campaign: planning on shooting a documentary about Burkittsville, Maryland's fabled Blair Witch, three film students, Heather Donahue, Joshua Leonard, and Michael Williams, set out to prove the existence of the Blair Witch in October of 1994. Interviews with locals before the actual search fare mixed opinions on the subject, ranging from citizens who completely deny the fable to locals who explain, in detail, how a hermit named Rustin Parr kidnapped, tortured, and murdered children.

After wrapping up enough footage to use for the documentary's opening scene and introductory statements, the three students head into the woods of north Burkittsville to hopefully catch proof of the Blair Witch for their film. However, it doesn't take long for the three inexperienced hikers to find themselves lost and traveling in circles. Of course, it also doesn't help that an unseen entity continually harasses Heather, Josh, and Mike during the night, leaving only mysterious rock formations and stick figures as evidence. It's safe to say that the production of the harmless documentary soon turns into the worst experience of the three filmmakers' lives.

While rumors of the film showing real footage were shot down, the movie creates an atmosphere that certainly accounts for the rumors. This mostly comes from the fact that the film had no script. In most cases, that would result in an instant failure, but in the case of The Blair Witch Project, it plays heavily in its favor. Using only a 68 page outline and a custom made mythology, devised from old history such as a 16th century mystic, the film's dialogue was completely improvised by the actors. This makes an already relatable concept of being lost in the woods with no sense of direction all the more realistic.

Of course, a script that relies on improvisation requires strong improvisation skills from its actors, and in that regard, The Blair Witch Project succeeds masterfully. The actors, who all used their real names, all seem to have genuine reactions to the events around them as the horrors continuously escalate. When they finish filming their introduction, they seem genuinely happy; when they find themselves going in circles, they seem genuinely angry; when they stumble across the famous stick figures, they seem genuinely terrified. Easily the most well-acted scene comes in the instantly recognizable scene where Heather gives her famous monologue: the fear is easily seen in her tear-filled eyes and stuttering voice as she struggles to apologize for her actions.

Some of the credit for such genuine reactions has to go to the directors, Eduardo Sanchez and Daniel Myrick. Using various means, Sanchez and Myrick pushed their actors to their limits in order to get the best reactions possible. For example, when the actors slept, the two directors would purposely sabotage the actors food and create some strife among them, which played out in the next scene. The real directorial success, however, is how the titular Blair Witch is never actually seen on screen. The result is a much more horrifying film, forcing the viewer to use only the sounds around the characters and their own imaginations to realize just what is tormenting these three students. This tactic separates itself from most other horror movies quite successfully, especially in the heart-stopping finale.

Filmed on a budget of less than $1 million, The Blair Witch Project went on to gross over $248 million worldwide, earning it a world record for top budget to box office ratio. Such a huge success is a bright spot in the film's life, as it stands as one of the most inventive, as well as one of the most terrifying, movies of all time. With interesting lore, extremely well-done improvised acting by the trio of actors, and smart directing choices, The Blair Witch Project is sure to change your mind about the woods behind your house, and what may be lurking within.
Daenerys Stormborn Daenerys Stormborn June 26, 2014
Great hand held horror film lets us use our imagination to create what happens off screen which makes it even scarier. The last scene is one of the most bone chilling scenes ive seen.
luccav78 luccav78 June 25, 2014
Very realistic and frightening; it's a slight disappointment that you never get to find out what really killed the filmmakers, yet the fear of the unknown and using your own imagination as to who or what the culprit is makes the film ten times more terrifying.
Everett D November 25, 2013
Something evil's out there, isn't it? You come so close to seeing it, but you still don't see it. You feel lost, curious, exhilarated, but also threatened. You feel threatened, and terrified at what this means. You shouldn't have come. You should've just stayed home and watched TV with your dog. You should go home, but you can't, can you? Because you're lost. Your map is gone. Soon your food will be gone, maybe even your sanity as well, and most likely, your life. It used to just be a campfire story your friends told you that made you tinkle, but now you've grown up, and here comes a new generation. Their stories are grimmer, bloodier, scarier than yours, and the worst part is, you're in it my friend.
I swear to you this is how you're going to feel when watching this. It's not very fun at all. In fact, it's the scariest feeling ever. Probably because this is the scariest movie of all time. 8.5/10
Hunter M ½ June 20, 2014
It works well as a psychological horror film. You have to use your imagination to fill in the gaps, so you either love it or hate it. I thought it was creepy, especially if you watch it alone. It sparked a lot of other "hand held camera" type movies, none of which I think are as good. Watch it at least once, if only to be able to say that you have.
Mark H. Mark H. ½ December 13, 2011
THE Citizen Kane of "found footage" horror movies, this one invented the genre in 1999. A low-budget, amateur production thrown together by a handful of people with a few days of footage cobbled together into a tidy 84 minutes - and it simply works. The acting is largely believable, and the pace is perfect. From the opening minutes the interviews with locals feel quite real, the enthusiasm of the 3 filmmakers soon turns to frustration, then fear, then panic, then hysteria. And over what? This is the best horror movie ever made where the monster is entirely left to our imagination.