The Blair Witch Project Reviews

½ March 1, 2015
Still not sure what's scarier: the Blair Witch, or being stuck in the woods with these characters. It's a tough call.
½ June 21, 2007
Horrible. The only good part is at the very end.

Feb 2-15 update:Watching CinemaSins reminded me how bad this movie was. The only thing remotely interesting is the ending with the guy facing the corner. Worse than YellowBrickRoad, but similar vein. The pioneer of found footage is even worse than Paranormal Activity.
½ March 15, 2014
(8%)
First drawn to mass attention when stories started to spread of cinema goers passing out at early cinema screenings through nothing more than sheer terror. And when certain critics spoke of its new, unique style I was even more intrigued. Well as a matter of fact the style wasn't new to anyone familiar with a particularly nasty 70's movie called "Cannibal holocaust", (only here thankfully no animals were hacked to tiny pieces by the immoral crew) and the movie itself is as scary as, well it's just not scary. It is in-fact very, very dull, I zoned out every five or so mins through total boredom. Toward the end it got a little interesting, then the end credits rolled, and that was that. I'll never understand this movie's appeal, and I'll never forgive it for popularising the found-footage fad that spawned from it.
October 6, 2013
I found it rather cleverly creepy and effective. I found the bickering went too far though. And the story was pretty weak. A fairly brilliant simple, low budget film that was prototype for "found footage" films.
January 8, 2015
While not the best horror movie ever made, The Blair Witch project is still well worth the historical acclaim given to it. It's found footage done right, and there isn't a dull moment to be found in the whole of it.
January 6, 2015
One of the scariest films I have ever watched. Don't believe the negative reviews.
½ January 3, 2015
most over rated piece of shite i have ever seen
½ December 24, 2014
Dreadful.

I was bored out of my mind for the first 30 minutes and one of the 3 people I went to see it with fell asleep. Beyond the first 30 minutes it just plodded along with little in the way of interest. I was glad when it was over and I could leave the movie theater.
December 23, 2014
Original and imaginative, the Blair Witch Project proves that you scary movies can be made on very little budget. It also, proves that imagination can be just as scary as actually seeing something. A wonderful Mockumentary.
December 12, 2014
Unbelievably boring.
December 6, 2014
If you like situational horror, this is a movie for you. If you like jumpscares or visual gore horror, I would skip this one. Otherwise, I believe you will enjoy the movie.
½ December 2, 2014
It may not be the scariest movie in the bunch but no other engulfed me with such strong feel of dread, paranoia and hopelessness. Top notch idea, flawless execution.
November 30, 2014
Perfection of the found footage genre
½ November 25, 2014
Boring, waste of time. Nothing we haven't seen before. Lots of running and screaming at trees.
November 2, 2014
Oddly, what makes so many people hate "The Blair Witch Project" (the lack of any reveal and the constant frayed/raw emotions from the cast) are what I find to be it's strongest assets. A nightmarish odyssey that only disturbs me more as I think about it.
November 1, 2014
Very well done, spooky, creepy and suspenseful all the way through, preparing you for an all out scare climax and then not providing it. Extremely disappointing and defeating the purpose of watching a horror film.
October 24, 2014
The film requires no special effects; no computer generated imagery, just your imagination. The Blair Witch Project hinges on the idea that the human imagination can often conjure up the most intensely horrifying imagery possible, and so what unravels is a film which identifies your primary concerns and fears and targets them relentlessly. It's a relatively short watch, made ever-the-more potent by strong performances from Heather Donahue, Michael C. Williams and Joshua Leonard, all of whom are entirely engrossed in the film they are shooting.

It's immensely simplistic the plot, but that may be what makes it all the more effective; it doesn't require subplots, nor anything completely irrelevant from the current situation. It is entirely centred around the characters, their immediate plights and their conflictions, all of which relate to the present circumstances they are within. Under-appreciated by modern audiences, perhaps due to the over-saturation of blatant copies attempted after its initial release, The Blair Witch Project is harrowing to young and old, and it doesn't require anything too fancy or expensive to do it. It's simply brilliant writing, brilliant direction, brilliant performances, and brilliant scares.
November 1, 2014
Though it shows age, and has some wretched characters, The Blair Witch Project is a class example of a naturally scary movie with no cheap jump-scares or orchestra stings that lets the fear of the unknown do the work for it.
October 31, 2014
"The Blair Witch Project" is one of the most effective horror movies ever made, and it is definitely not only one of my favorite horror movies but my number one favorite found footage movie. I thought it works very effective to not include music throughout the majority of the movie which it does put you the right mood as you are watching it. The three main actors work so well together to play an alternate version of themselves as if they were filmmakers. The story itself is also very well told. I know everyone hated this movie, when they first saw it and were extremely disappointed that this movie is not real. I know its not real, but it didn't need to be real. If it was, then it would be ended up as snuff film, and that is not good. With that said, I really enjoy this movie for what is and maybe for the haters of this movie might give it another chance so they can understand the movie better. I highly recommend "The Blair Witch Project."