Blazing Saddles - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blazing Saddles Reviews

December 25, 2015
Best Comedy of all time. Seen it over 30 times and never gets old.
December 8, 2015
This is my favorite comedy. Classic Mel Brroks and star-studded.
December 4, 2015
Blazing Saddles is well shot and acted with a couple of really funny and enjoyable scenes, but it is mostly pretty boring and uneven with boring musical sequences, inferior second half, weaker humor later on and it is overall a lost potential as it never executes its premise particularly well. It is an okay picture, but a forgettable and overrated one.
½ September 17, 2007
Incredibly funny.

A Mel Brooks comedy set in the Wild West. A corrupt politician wants to drive out the inhabitants of a town so that he can buy it up, as a railroad is about to go through it. One of the plans he devises to drive them out involves appointing a black sheriff...

Mel Brooks at his comedic, satirical, subversive and irreverent best. Has so many quotable lines and classic scenes.

Great work by Cleavon Little in the lead role. Good support from Gene Wilder, Harvey Korman, Brooks himself, Madeline Kahn, Slim Pickens and a host of others.

Bound to offend the dial-an-offense crowd (who are usually offended on behalf of a group they don't belong to, and who probably don't take offense themselves). That just makes it so much better...
½ November 5, 2015
My favorite Mel Brooks movie. The cast was excellent and funny. Madeline Kahn was hilarious, and the movie had some classic comedy bits and some of the great comedy movie quotes. This one was a genuinely funny spoof of westerns, and one you can watch over and over.
November 2, 2015
One of the three funniest movies ever made, IMHO.
½ November 9, 2011
Not as much of a delight for me as 'Young Frankenstein', but this still good for several laughs and a mad wonder of a climax.
½ September 21, 2015
Ingeniously juvenile yet smart, this loud and crass spoof of Hollywood Westerns by Mel Brooks earns it place in comedy history for a good reasons. A game cast of comedy greats, wonderful production values that flawlessly recreate a mythic West of the screen, and a gust bustingly funny screenplay that combines great slapstick, wit and commentary on American history and Hollywood's approach to it.
October 16, 2007
Quite simply one of the finest comedies of all time.
September 9, 2007
Blazing Saddles is a rude, vulgar, and downright hilarious comedy that has stood the test of time. This movie tackles so many issues, but also even breaks the fourth wall for comedic effect. Do yourself a favour and watch this movie. You'd do it for Randolph Scott.
August 17, 2015
Genius! The funniest movie I've ever seen.
½ May 12, 2012
When it was made, this film was daring, subversive and bold, and I suppose in some ways that's still true. You literally cannot make a film like this anymore, and that's quite sad because this film is not only a great comedy film, but also perhaps one of the finest spoof films ever made. It viciously parodied much of the conventions of the western film, while also highlighting the racism of the Old West that cowboy films typically glossed over. The story is nicely paced and very well told, and it has the gift of being both loud and subtle in terms of its humour. The film also boasts good performances from its leads, but the film's lead villain always manages to gleefully steal the spotlight with his brilliantly silly performance. The film also recreates the western film style so well that it makes the parody all the more effective at making the western film cheesier than it already was. Armed to the teeth with genuinely funny jokes, this is a film that deserves its place in the canon of classic comedies.
January 22, 2013
My favorite Mel Brooks movie, hands down. I love Gene Wilder in this movie and the comedy is so good, it hurts.
½ July 31, 2015
Some of it works very well, other aspects, like the story and character motivations fall flat(I know, its a comedy)

Also, it needed more Gene Wilder
July 26, 2015
Saw it when I was in the 5th Grade. Left me with a warped since of humor for life.
July 11, 2012
I rated this low but really cant remember it i should give it another go.
February 15, 2010
Another Mel Brooks spoof that I don't understand the appeal of. The vile and inappropriate humor is too much, and it is showing its age. (First and only viewing - 3/13/2009)
½ November 21, 2010
A greatly revered comedy classic, this movie escaped me for a long time. Having finally seen it, I'd sum it up as a good time, but a bit overhyped. You pretty much know what you're getting with a Mel Brooks movie, and this is no different. It's goofy, has some memorable characters, a lot of quotable moments, a few laugh-out-loud moments and some pretty consistent chuckles. It also has all the things I don't like about Mel Brooks though. His creepy misogyny is in full force here (sometimes I think he just writes scenes in as an excuse for his character to shove his face in some boobs), and while there's a lot of goofy stuff going on there is often a somewhat pedestrian tone to it all. Some of these faults I credit to being a product of the times though, so I mostly forgive them even if they do detract from the experience. All in all, it's a fun movie, and it goes in a lot of crazy directions I didn't see coming. Not my favorite Mel Brooks film, but one of his better films to be sure.
July 6, 2015
Uneven at best, Blazing Saddles has some really great bits, (mainly involving Cleavon Little and Gene Wilder), and some really unfunny dated racist bits, (every other character). The last 15 minutes were so well done, I can almost forgive the painful first half hour... ALMOST. B-
April 17, 2010
There is no way in hell this movie could get made today.