Dave Chappelle's Block Party - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dave Chappelle's Block Party Reviews

September 17, 2015
Nice attempt but really just one big bore.
½ June 14, 2015
Even with my reluctance to expect anything near a proper stand up, 'Dave Chappelle's Block Party' was slightly disappointing. Snippets of stand up comedy, while funny, are not sufficient to please fans of the comedian and although I'm aware of the select group of artists on stage, most of the music was not recognisable enough to get me in the groove. This documentary can be admired for highlighting Chappelle's socially conscious side but it frustratingly lacks a substantial comedy or concert performance which would have proven more enjoyable.
March 7, 2006
Dave Chapelle kicks ass in this movie
November 9, 2014
Disappointing......thought there would be more of Dave's stand-up, but instead lots of rap and hip hop.
½ June 4, 2006
entertaining and satisfying, chappelle enlivens his event by returning hip-hop and his talents back to their counterculture roots, rich with humour and outspokenness, a personal project worthy of admiration
½ June 6, 2014
awesome good funky fun
January 3, 2014
This is the sort of movie that the "special interest" section was invented for. Basically it's a comedy/documentary/performing arts hybrid thats simply cool. It's got some great musicians, Dave Chapelle, and Michael Gondry directing. pretty hard to go wrong!
½ October 11, 2013
One of the best musical documentaries ever!
½ May 8, 2013
Great concept bringing unlikely people to go see a hip hop show. The artists involved in the concert are amongst the most legendary hip hop musicians today. Dave Chappelle is as funny as always just interacting with locals from his town. The film is community oriented and is a great documentary in a lacking category, hip hop music. An all around feel good film with a great message.
March 31, 2013
Too crude to my liking
March 30, 2013
Great muzik, comedy Dave Chappelle did a great job on this project.
March 2, 2013
In my top 20 all time. This film is so perfect.
October 22, 2012
Some very good rap peppered with Dave Chappelle's infectiously funny personality and an entire marching band? Count me in! Actually, I woulda gone just for Dave, but y'know...
September 30, 2012
Seems like it was a completely awesome event, unfortunately I'm just watching the movie about it.
½ May 24, 2012
A hit-or-miss: a miss for me. You won't find Chappelle's signature style here, but a collection of awesome dialogues with the signature celebrities of the era. Stay for the humor in the back-and-forths, but I didn't care much for it.
½ July 7, 2008
Watching it was absolutely like going to a great party.
January 27, 2009
Film about a real and Crazy ad hoc "Block Party" in Brooklyn. But this one has some real headliners, The Fuggees, Mos Def and Kanye West. Some rough but catchy tunes to boot, unusual to say the least.
May 6, 2012
Dave seems to be a lot deeper then just comedy. I actually liked the feeling i got from this film.
April 25, 2012
surprisingly good, i liked half the performers and i generally dont like rap/hip hop. dave has good taste in music.
April 14, 2012