—— As Above/So Below Aug 29

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Blood Night (Blood Night: The Legend of Mary Hatchet) Reviews

Dean !

March 30, 2011
A decent little modern slasher film. It has plenty of gore and a few grisly kills. It has a strong start but it felt rushed towards the last 15mins which was a bit of a let down. It's very short at just 80mins in total. Good for a short fix for Slasher fans but we still want better than this.
Brian D

October 15, 2010
better then i though and there gore glore to boot. Main thing wrong was the acting very poor indeed!!!
thefog1331
thefog1331

April 27, 2010
I only watched this for two reasons: gory deaths and Danielle Harris. It delivers on both counts, period.*

*Pun intended.
Erin C

July 6, 2014
This wasn't bad. The acting was awful, but the story and the gore were pretty good. Not much surprises me anymore when it comes to gore, but even this one had me grossed out!
Adam M

January 4, 2012
Enjoyable, if predictable, old school style slasher film. A mental young, Mary, girl is put into an asylum for butchering her family but after going through some shit in there manages to escape but gets shot dead. Her exploits become infamous and her legacy of sorts is celebrated every year. This time it seems Mary may have come back from the dead as a buch of dudes at a party start getting killed one by one. As you might have guessed, this is your average slasher fair with blatant Halloween/Friday 13th influences. The prescence of brilliant Bill Moseley and Danielle Harris from Rob Zombies Halloween films and Hatchet 2 give it a bit of credibility and if your after a bit of random late night horror fun then Blood Night is worth a look just don't go in expecting some sort of horror classic.
Nick G

July 30, 2011
This movie probably would have kicked ass... if I was still in high school.
John2223
John2223

April 4, 2010
Very gory! Yeah! Death scenes are very well done and explicits BUT it was terminally boring, terribly executed, annoying acting, no thrills, no scares.
Check it for the gore if you like gory movies and you don't care for the rest...otherwise... SKIP IT!
June 27, 2013
Okay, this one was super-duper middle of the road as far as slasher/horror/ghost stories go, but it has a few memorable kills and seemed to mean well with what it was doing. That said, I do have issues with the idea that some small town somewhere would let their high schoolers run amuck one night a year ala Detroit's Devil's Night without just shutting them down once and for all, but I guess you have to suspend disbelief for this type of stuff.

Rental?
May 26, 2013
Oh, low budget horror... I used to appreciate you. Props for the filmmakers hiring Bill Moseley and Danielle Harris, both of whom are the best in the cast but in very minor supporting roles. The rest of the cast is filled up with "teens" that don't particularly stand out from one another. There's a lot of blood in this, but low budget horror blood that does little to curdle your own blood. There's also a surprising amount of nudity to appeal to the "Boobies and Blood" crowd. The story is extremely basic run-of-the-mill slash up the teens fare. The script is poorly written, serving the film only passibly and not a matter of importance to the filmmakers who instead opt to focus on sex and death (uninspired too).
January 23, 2013
As usual going into things like this, I expected very little. Ehh, I was somewhat pleasantly surprised. It seemed to me like they made a slasher movie just so they'd have a reason to show a few lame R-rated "sex" scenes and lots of boobies. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it was already too short to begin with. I was mostly disturbed that the crazy chick looked so much like Jennifer Love Hewitt. That's not funny! Anyway, I actually thought this was suspense-filled fun with lots of gore and splatter. Extra half star for throwing a whole bucket of blood on a screaming chick. Oh ya.
August 4, 2012
A throwback/homage to classic slasher cinema, Blood Night opens brutally and satisfies throughout. The film particularly capitalizes on the genre's exploitative component by having the slasher/ghost/whatever being nude throughout the entire film. Not that I care about nudity, but it actually adds another revel of creepiness to the film . Bloody as hell and entertaining throughout, Blood Night is a must for fans of slasher films.
August 27, 2011
Wow I can not believe that I wasted my time watching this movie. It seemed liked they cared more about how many times that could show somebody naked or having sex and not enough about the story. It started out promising and then it got boring fast. The end was not all that bad either, I guess it was just the stuff in the middle that sucked really bad.
CandyFlavoredCars
July 6, 2011
I was actually surprised with this movie! It was a great slasher movie! Some parts were over the top but it was good and bloody! (:
December 30, 2009
Decent slasher film with Danielle Harris and Bill Moseley - and apparently Eliza Dushku's older brother. Not sure how they got these actors since this is a really low budget indie flick, but they got the job done. Gore is pretty good, as are the locations, music - even the acting.
Only problem is the entire middle 30 minutes is just the usual teen party/ sex/drinking, blah, blah, blah fest. It's like everyone wants to take a page out of Tarantino's book and just have people talking and chillin out as if it will give insight to their character, but it completely does not. Not when these cookie cutter characters can be interchanged with anyone else.
Oh, and cliche # 56 in horror movies, why do abandoned buildings always have the flashing ceiling lights?
June 11, 2013
Poor and Stupid on almost every level.
May 31, 2013
The idea was interesting and I liked the premise. With heavy editing, a tighter script, and a meatier role for the amazing Mr. Moseley, this might have been a decent slasher. Instead, it was predictable and the plot fell flat. Danielle Harris was good, I must say.
Dean D.
April 3, 2013
Although not necessarily a completely awful movie, it fell victim to bad acting, an uninteresting and unoriginal story, and such a myriad of teen horror movie cliches it was a bit painful to watch. The gore was good, and it was definitely a bit creepy, but other than that, it's just another slasher flick.
Darren Camponi
May 20, 2012
Long Island, 1978: A young girl named Mary Mattock gruesomely murders her family with a hatchet and is locked away for life in Long Island's notorious Kings Park Psychiatric Centre. Ten years later, Mary escapes from the asylum, leaving a grizzly trail of bodies and blood in her wake. Gunned down by the police, Mary meets her own demise outside the sanitarium walls. This incident gave birth to the legend of Mary Hatchet's walking ghost and the mischievous night named in honour of her death, BLOOD NIGHT! Stemming from the real life Long Island legend of Mary Hatchet, Blood Night: The Legend of Mary Hatchet tells the tale of a group of teenagers enjoying their annual Blood Night festivities, when they come face to face with the reality of this haunting legend. One by one, the teens begin to disappear and meet their fate. As the body count rises, so do the unanswered questions about their missing friends and the secrets of Mary's horrifying past. Is there more to this legend than the vengeful ghost of Mary Hatchet? And if so, who will survive to tell the terrifying tale? So after watching this movie, I wanted to review it straight away but I couldn't really find out exactly how I felt about it. In one way, it's one of the best horrors I've seen in ages and in another way, it's just the same as the other horrors released. The story is okay and had the Halloween feel to it, which I liked but then it started to go a little out of hand. The acting is average, most of the performances given were quite bad but there were one or two actors who were okay...ish. The direction is done well and the cinematography is great as well. The special effects and the scenes were executed very well but I must warn that this isn't for the faint-hearted as this probably has more gore in the first ten minutes than Saw does.

I liked how the movie reverted back to the eighties horror-slasher movie style just like the eighties version of Halloween and mixed it with the latest horror style by adding the gore. I don't usually like gore in movies that's used only to scare the audience with no jumpy bits or nothing. The movie has one or two scenes which were a little creepy but there were a couple of scenes that were executed poorly and made the movie more of a cliché such as doors slamming off hinges and getting the Ouija board to contact Mary from beyond the grave. The story was pretty much average and started promising but as the movie went on, it started to get more and more ridiculous, however this doesn't surprisingly spoil the movie much as you kind of expected it to get a little silly in a way. The introduction part about Mary Hatchet was brilliantly done in my opinion and after the introduction finished, that was when the story started to go downhill. The teenagers planning a party on 'Blood Night' was all-good but it was when the killings started, that was when the story started to plummet very fast. The acting was below average and some were convincing as their characters but there weren't really anyone that stood out in the movie. The characters weren't so bad but they're your stereotypical teenage characters who think of nothing but sex, parties and booze and it doesn't go any deeper than that. There wasn't really any depth to their characters and you didn't exactly care who lived or died as most of the characters were pretty much the same. The cinematography was great and the gory kill scenes were done very well but other than that, there isn't really much I can say.

This is quite an odd movie because, although I've not really been praising the movie, it has something likeable about it, which you can't really put your finger on. Whether it be your typical eighties cheesy horror flick modernised or the gore or the 'scary' scenes, there are some elements in the movie that different horror fans may love. I think if you're a fan of the Halloween series or a fan of classic eighties B-movie horrors then you may like this.
toxiemite
April 27, 2012
Blood Night is you're basic run of the mill slasher movie taking a lot of notes from classics like Halloween and Prom Night. But for what it's worth, its a fair bit of fun. The gore is great, the story is decent (a bit predictable) and the script is actually quite good. And hey, its always good to see Bill Moseley on screen, plus the added treat of Dannielle Harris. Sex, violence and alcohol equals a winning formula in my books.