63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Blood and Lace Reviews

rodjeckrich
January 13, 2013
Blood and Lace would have been way more of a chore to get through if it didn't have Seinfeld's Uncle Leo as a maniac. Also Dennis Christopher looks like Thurston Moore to a T here. Some decent scenes including Uncle Leo chasing the kid with the cleaver.
August 3, 2012
A typical 70s shock flick with liberal doses of gore. An teenage orphan gets sent to a home run by an evil headmistress and her alcoholic evil handyman. Can she escape? There's a detective played by Vic Tayback (Mel from the TV sitcom "Alice") who is suspicious of the goings on at the orphanage and knows this runaway orphan better than even he thinks he does. Nice double-twist ending, but otherwise pretty standard fare. Worth a watch for fans of 1970s drive-in and grindhouse horror. If you liked Motel Hell, for instance, you'll probably like this, too.
Will Errickson
April 30, 2012
Fun, cheap, sleazy, vintage '70s B-movie about a horrible woman and her creepy handyman who runs an abusive orphanage. On Netflix Instant Watch now!
January 29, 2012
I really loved this one. And it has some to do with Melody Patterson and that sassy hair cut. Plus a kid named Bunch, who is something of a jailbait tramp. Even though I figured out all the twists at the end, long before they were revealed, mainly do to the fantastic way the movie forecasts them. The visuals are incredibly innovative and possibly very influencial. Especially for 1971! Slasher tropes had yet to settle in, so I wonder just how much homage is being paid in the opening sequence of HALLOWEEN - since both movies open with a murder weapon POV. Plus Texas Chainsaw seems to have lifted whole sequences and staging from the freezer sequences. Not to mention DON'T LOOK IN THE BASEMENT (the forgotten). Aside from dubious and probably purely invented connections, the movie has other outstanding merits. Such as Vic Tayback, a detective who creeps around like a pervy perv and only got the promotion because it paid 50 dollars more a month and the other guy had a family. Uncle Leo has the best escape method, the only successful joke in the movie, even if he tries to rape Ellie after making it it. Plus the soundtrack is fantastically public domain sounding more like the score to an Saturday afternoon serial like Flash Gordon than a scary movie. The thundering trumpets and splashy cymbals sound be the backdrop to a speedy car chase on a winding cliff road where gangsters are shooting at the good guy who has been drugs and has a yelling woman crying next to him, not the back drop to a hammer and cleaver fight or a slinky scene of hallway exploration! Still. Amazing movie that I really liked.
April 7, 2011
March 11, 2014
This is a pretty good movie considering the age of it. I mean it kept me in suspense.and is pure trash and I really mean that in the nicest possible way! This film comes very much recommended to all the right people.
FilmGrinder S.
November 29, 2012
75%

"Your boozing has cost me $150 a month."-Ms. Deere (Gloria Grahame)

Brings on, the urge to watch OLDBOY again. The POV shot of the hammer kill, has to be mentioned because it took place before BLACK CHRISTMAS (RIP Bob Clark).
November 8, 2012
Blood and Lace (Philip S. Gilbert, 1971)

As I am wont to do now and again, I found a going-out-of-business warehouse sale and scored a small mountain of movies to watch. Well, mountain may be a bit inaccurate, but I can build a good foot-and-a-half pyramid out of VHS and DVD cases new to my house. (That this is because yet another local video store chain is on the brink of going out of business has not escaped my notice, and I am no less saddened because I gained by it.) The only problem with such bounty is that sometimes you have so many choices you end up wondering what to watch first. Any of the hundred movies I haven't seen before? No, not me. I decided I'd revisit Blood and Lace, a movie I first saw over thirty years ago on the late-night creature feature. Back in the late seventies, for some reason, there was a minor rage in Pittsburgh for double-billing two of my favorite cheesy seventies horror films, Blood and Lace and Shriek of the Mutilated. I saw both countless times in the late seventies and early eighties, and then they dropped off the radar. Shriek was released on DVD in 2005, and I picked it up immediately. This one still awaits a proper DVD release, so this was an old, old VHS copy someone dug out of the dark corner of a warehouse somewhere. This, of course, just made the nostalgia all that much greater. Remember, kiddies, back in the day, everything was broadcast and constantly adjusting the rabbit ears on your awesome twelve-inch portable TV. How could a crisp, clean transfer do that justice? In any case, seeing it through eyes that have seen another quarter-century-plus worth of movies, Blood and Lace is not nearly as complex as I thought back in the day, nor as well-acted, and I put much of my enduring affection for the film down to simple nostalgia. On the other hand, for a PG-rated theatrical release (that lasted in theaters maybe two weeks before going to the late-night creature features), Blood and Lace is a surprisingly twisted little movie.

We open with the giallo-style hammer murder of Edna Masters (Louise Sherrill, writer and director of another wonderfully cheesy late-sixties horror flick, Ghosts of Hanley House). And yes, giallo-style; there's no doubt in my mind that screenwriter Gil Lasky (the producer of the infamous Spider Baby) had Bava's Blood and Black Lace in mind when titling this monstrosity. (Seriously, look at the original posters for each.) Be that as it may, Edna left behind a daughter, Ellie (F Troop's Melody Patterson), who's something of a rebellious child. When she tries to run away from her court-appointed social worker, he sends her to a local orphanage run by Mrs. Deere (It's a Wonderful Life's Gloria Grahame, showing how far the mighty can fall) and her crazy handyman Tom (Kelly's Heroes' Len Lesser). We find out very early on that runaways in this place never actually make it, instead coming to a very bad end at Tom's hands, but that's just the tip of this perverse iceberg. Once she gets to the orphanage, Ellie strikes up a friendship with Walter (Night of the Witches' Ronald Taft), immediately incurring the wrath of her roommate Bunch (How Sweet It Is!' Terri Messina), who's been after him for a while. But the dynamics between the kids, in general, take second chair to the whacked-out psyche of Mrs. Deere, who plays everyone at the home like a puppet. There's also a police detective, Calvin (Vic Tayback, probably remembered best these days for the long-running sitcom Alice), who seems to take more than a protective interest in Ellie.

Put aside the gaping plot holes (what's Walter, who describes himself as ‚almost twenty-one‚?, still doing at an orphanage?), the generally awful acting, Philip Gilbert's complete inability to direct (he has no other credits of any kind listed at IMDB) and Gil Lasky's script, which is utterly useless as the basis for a suspense film. Instead, focus on the fact that this movie got a PG rating (well, GP at the time) in 1971‚"only two years after Midnight Cowboy got an X!‚"when it contains overt references to pedophilia, rape, and incest. (And this isn't taking into account Mrs. Deere's crazy speculations, which are amusing, but not weird enough to warrant an R. I don't think.) Obviously, in the early seventies, it was much more shocking to be gay. Either that, or the MPAA figured that this movie was so incoherent no one would be able to figure out what's going on, which is not all that unreasonable a stance.

The movie is very little seen nowadays (probably because we understand that rape and pedophilia are more shocking than being gay now...I think), and in some ways that's probably for the best. Six years later Halloween came along and changed American horror forever. I get the feeling that many of today's kids would find this movie boring. And it is laughable, but like Shriek of the Mutilated, it's such a train wreck that you simply can't stop watching it. And when that last line hits and you realize the whole thing has been the biggest theatrical shaggy-dog joke since Ocean's Eleven, you can't help but admire the hubris it must have taken to make this movie. Lasky and Gilbert must have been as crazy as Mrs. Deere to even try. It's a movie that falls into the ‚transcends bad and enters the realm of cheesy greatness‚? category. See it if you get a chance. **
November 2, 2011
Low budget, sloppy, 70s horror.