Et mourir de plaisir (Blood and Roses)(To Die with Pleasure) Reviews

July 20, 2014
A naif movie inspired by Le Fanu's Carmilla. I liked the nightmare scenes and their surrealistic taste.
½ April 29, 2013
76%

Has a air of elegance about it, but the highlights for me, was the tripped out dream sequence and twist ending. However, likeTwilight, I'm sure this film appeals more so to the ladies and not so much the bros.
December 30, 2012
List of pluses and minuses for this short drama:
+ The characters are quite charming, as is the story
- but it was also rather simplistic of a story with rather superficial characters
- the film is too 1950's hollywood-ish, despite the european style soundtrack with violins
- The dialogue leaves nothing to imagination, it is too explanatory. Yet there are no vampires.
- in addition the film is way too short for a feature film
- and the storytelling stands still.
So its more like a psychological drama with a background story which refers to an old vampire legend, but not really a vampire movie at all, and definitely not a horror story. It does have certain charm, but the story and the storytelling doesn't work.
November 10, 2012
This is a true classic and a beautiful film. It's as much a possession movie as it is a vampire movie and it has lesbian vampire undertones as well as a theme of forbidden incestual love. Probably not the most politically correct movie, but definitely a fascinating and visually gorgeous film.
October 13, 2011
Gave it 12 minutes. Nothing was drawing me in.
August 26, 2012
List of pluses and minuses for this short drama:
+ The characters are quite charming, as is the story
- in addition the film is way too short for a feature film
- and the storytelling stands still.
October 20, 2012
OH what I would give to see this film in the original French, uncensored version, without the awful voiceover track that was tacked on for English-speaking audiences! Beautiful people, beautiful setting, lovely creepy atmosphere.
May 31, 2012
Not a bad Roger Vadim movie here. Here he takes on female vampires, and the plot has a woman being possessed by a centuries old vampire and bringing back the curse that has plagued a family for centureiws. Annette Vadim is certainly pretty to look at and the plot moves along briskly. So no complaints here.
½ May 29, 2012
The first two thirds of this movie is nearly intolerable at times but then it picks up pace a bit and Vadim even plays a bit of homage to the likes of Fellini with some unique fever dream sequences. Otherwise it's just blah...kinda what you expect from a Roger Vadim vehicle.
May 19, 2012
Vadim's exquisite modernized adaptation of Carmilla. The images are gorgeous, the music is equally beautiful, and... the dialogue and performances are rather stiff.
½ February 1, 2012
Carmilla (Vadim) is a gorgeous blonde invited to her friend's home (Martinelli), and next to it lies a castle which supposedly holds the tombs of vampires. Almost certain she looks exactly like an alleged one, Carmilla is compelled to visit the tomb, and she is immediately turned into a vampire. To quench her thirst, she decides to kill off the homeowners of a country estate. Renowned French director Roger Vadim directed this atmospheric vampire tale, "Blood and Roses" in 1960, and he had already made his most renowned work: " ... And God Created Woman", and because I consider it a masterpiece, I knew that "Blood and Roses" would be a great film to watch, considering it's been getting such good reviews. Unfortunately, I thought this movie was utterly terrible. Though a feast for the eyes with the luscious cinematography and the beauty of Annette Vadim and Elsa Martinelli, nothing else is even going for "Blood and Roses". The acting is terrible (especially from Ferrer), the character and plot development are lackluster, the script is awful, and most of all, this film isn't as scary or romantic as it should be. I think half of the problems are due to the fact that the film is in English, and almost all of the actors are French, which makes it seem like everybody has no clue what they're doing. I knew this film could either be horrible or amazing, but unfortunately it took the turn I was hoping wouldn't happen. "Blood and Roses" is a forgettable vampire flick that I wish I didn't see.
½ January 4, 2011
Netflix is now streaming a version of this 1960 Roger Vadim vampire film. Unfortunately, it's a full screen version that's slightly faded. Pan and scan prints are usually forbidden on my TV screen, but BLOOD AND ROSES has a legendary reputation, and I have wanted to see it for decades. Based on a much drawn from novel by Sheridan Le Fanu, the story of a vampire possessing the body of Carmilla Karnstein to seek revenge on the Karnstein family this time takes place in the modern world; Vadim's Karnsteins are now the kind of wealthy, privileged jet setting Europeans that populate Fellini's LA DOLCE VITA. The film takes place in a country villa surrounded by vineyards, with an old, ruined church (symbolizing decadence) where the vampire spirit waits in its crypt for the opportune moment to inhabit Camilla, played by Annette Vadim, the scorned lover of elegant, sophisticated Count Karnstein. Mel Ferrer wanders through the film as Karnstein like a character from a Noel Coward play. Though it's not exactly clear why Camilla lives with him in the villa, especially since the Count has just announced his engagement to Elsa Martinelli, you accept it, as indeed one accepts all sorts of absurdities here. The marriage announcement is what gets the vampire spirit worked up, for she, too, had been spurred by a Karnstein centuries before. Needless to say, these relationships exist in a dramatic vacuum and are dramatized just enough to accommodate the film's gothic obsessions. It's the ghostly subtext, and not the story, that keeps us occupied, and that is often splendidly drawn in scenes that suggest a dark and forbidding sexuality - Roger Vadim's cinematic trademark.

The version prepared for the United States (streaming on Netflix) is ten or so minutes shorter than the one shown in other countries, and comes with an infuriating narration by the vampire spirit incessantly explaining things that, I'm sure, the distributors considered over the heads of an American audiences. Even with this and numerous other blunders, the film glides weightlessly though its narrative, achieving moments of surprising lyrical beauty. Photographed by Claude Renoir, who's classically composed frames, expressive use of color (particularly the way he uses red), and captivating traveling shots, recalls the impressionistic paintings of his Grandfather. Vadim was never a good director, but he could occasionally be graceful. This is one of those times. With the TWILIGHT series prominently marketed these days, this fifty year old gothic confection is well worth the effort.
October 18, 2010
Absolutely euphoric...watched it as a kid, trying to find the video...:(
January 31, 2010
I really wanna see this movie but I don't know where to get it! :(
½ September 6, 2009
A classic lesbian vampire story.
June 17, 2009
Looks interesting. Wouldn't mind watching. Question is: is there a copy in English?
January 12, 2009
Sounds good. Will track it down.
August 19, 2007
One of many films which attempt to recreate Sheridan LeFanu's "Carmilla" but not the best by any means.
Roger Vadim certainly knew how to cast good looking women in his films and everything looks nice but it's supposed to be a vampire film! It just isn't a patch on Hammer's efforts from the same period.
March 18, 2007
DIE WITH PLEASURE! OH YEAH!