64% The Maze Runner Sep 19

Blood Tea and Red String Reviews

366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

January 20, 2012
A group of white mice (who drink blood tea) steal a doll belonging to a clan of rodents in this dialogue-free stop-motion feature. Beautiful and imaginative, with hallucinogenic berries, a frog sorcerer, and a near-perfect mix of surrealism and fairy tale darkness. People say it again and again, but it's the perfect description: BLOOD TEA is like a lost Jan Svankmajer film.
RCCLBC
RCCLBC

February 9, 2011
Technically and visually a BRILLIANT little film. If you know anything about the amount of work that goes into stop motion work, you can't help but be impressed. Especially with all of the little details.

The story is interesting and bizarre in a creepy/cool sort of way, but it feels a bit self-indulgent at times.

A very impressive piece of art if nothing else.
flixsterman
flixsterman

April 5, 2009
It's the mice vs. the fuzzy beaked things in a dispute over a "beautiful" doll. There are wagons pulled by turtles, hallucinogenic berries, flesh eating plants, frogs dressed like monks, and a sundry assortment of other oddities. Christiane Cegavske spent years putting this fanciful but weird stop-motion universe together. Interesting, strange and very imaginative.
January 12, 2012
Marvelous stop motion animated film. Besides having the cutest upper crust mouse fight ever filmed, the rest of the movie is filled with memorable characters, witty inventions, and a complete surrealist landscape. The character design is fantastic, the puppets manage to convey so much individuality and expression without a single intelligible word. The story is one of creation and loss and dangerous consumption. The poetry of the animation is such that I felt as if I were inside a picture book or complicated miniature painting hung in some poorly lit corner of a foreign museum. The awe of discovery was only overshadowed by the pleasure of immersion. Seriously great stuff!
LittleMissBloodAndGuts
July 15, 2009
A cute and imaginative parable of human nature, with surrealist and expressionist elements. One of the better films in its class of peres such as 'Alice' and 'The Collected Shorts of Jan Svankmajer.'
July 1, 2013
Charming stop motion and dark imagrey make this a very unique film its a must see
October 3, 2010
such a weird movie, sort of scary, psychedelic. I fell asleep 7 separate times watching, not in a bad way like it's a boring movie, it's just so ambient. If your a fan of stop motion animation and the slightly odd.
Elly L.
December 11, 2009
Artistic and motivating, one of those movies you could watch again and again and each time find something new in it. I love the homemade look to everything. A journey I will never forget.
MaxVendetta
October 7, 2006
To start off with, i think its amazing that the lady who made this spent 13 years on it. Its quite eerie how meticulously it was crafted and incredible how much effort there was put into this.

That being said, I wish she should have spent 13 years making something interesting. This movie was not good. I know it had a whole message about women and all, but frankly, this was just arthouse shlop that weve all seen over and over again. I cant stand two things in movies, dullness and pretension, and Blood Tea had enough for the whole class.

Sorry lady, but this one was a stinker to me.