Blue Chips Reviews

August 15, 2009
"Blue Chips" is one of my favorite basketball movies. I've seen it a few times and it still doesn't get old. A coach (Nick Nolte) that has always had a successful career as coach of Western University is facing the threat of his first ever losing season. He has to find a way to get his team back on a winning streak, even if it means finding new and better players.
Nick Nolte does a spectacular job as the coach, but that's not the only reason that "Blue Chips" is such a realistic and great basketball movie. If you're familiar with NBA basketball, you'll see a lot of players that you know from today's game such as Penny Hardaway and Shaq. You'll also see other basketball legends such as Larry Bird and Bob Cousy. When it's gametime, it's as realistic as a movie can get. It has powerful coaching, spectacular defensive and offensive movies, the roaring crowd, and even the press conference after the game. "Blue Chips" has more drama in it than just about any basketball movie ever made.

If you'd like to see a realistic basketball movie, I recommend getting "Blue Chips." It won't let you down. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. It's definitely one of the better basketball movies, and easily Shaq's best, although it doesn't really feature him.
April 27, 2008
Bob Cousy shooting free throws is reason enough for three stars. The other one is for Nick Nolte and Shaq.
June 21, 2007
I dislike Nick Nolte's character in this basketball game movie because of his face acting and plenty of coarse languages are terrible.
November 7, 2006
Not too bad.
½ December 26, 2007
½ March 12, 2013
For some reason back in 1994 I really wanted to see this as it looked like I would enjoy it for whatever reason. I couldn't believe how lame it was when I watched it for the first time. Boring as sin. Nick Nolte is a hit or miss actor. Sometimes I can tolerate him but sometimes I can't. This was one of his roles that I couldn't stand. Is he supposed to be Bobby Knight or what?
October 23, 2007
A garden-variety movie about a college basketball coach who lowers himself to using unethical methods to recruit new players.
July 10, 2007
Great movie for the basketball fan - One of my favorite Nolte performances. Nolte fans will want to catch this.
May 25, 2007
It's just worth it to see a young Shaq try to act. This was pre-Fu-Shnicken's. I think this might be Nick Nolte's last "straight" film. Now aday's he is bearded and looks like his mugshot. Or maybe his mugshot looks like him. Anyway, There are so many True Professional Athletes and Coaches in this movie you would have to shake a stick at them. I think that was the funnest part of this movie when I was younger, just being able to pick out the non-actors. Decent movie with a good moral. Don't cheat coaches, it only tarnishes your reputation!
May 24, 2007
What you get when you make real athletes, who are not actors, play major roles in a movie. Shaq and Penny ruin this movie.
½ March 4, 2007
Not a terrible attempt at portraying how college sports is the most corrupt, dirty business in America.
September 11, 2006
The fact the movie was really honest about college basketball and the classes they make some of these inner city retards take, makes the movie awesome. I don't really like Nick Nolte, unless he's infront of the camera getting his mug shot (which is classic), but yeah watching SHAQ act dumb and take a class called TV and fail made me sooooooooooo very happy
June 21, 2006
A well made film about the scandalous recruiting of college basketball players with a powerful performance from Nick Nolte.
½ April 19, 2015
I can't believe this pulp is a Friedkin movie.
½ January 2, 2015
Nick Nolte is fantastic in this controversial film based on true events. This film doesn't glorify the events that take place but is true. The added perk of having O'Neill makes this film enjoyable.
½ March 17, 2014
A complete editing mess.
August 4, 2013
A good entertaining movie
July 9, 2013
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
June 20, 2013
This is a really good, basketball film. Lots of intense on the court scenes, the plot keeps the movie going and so do the actors. Nolte always plays the jerk well, so he was born for this role in my book.
April 26, 2013
a really admirable performances by nick nolte