The Blue Lagoon (1980)
Average Rating: 2.7/10
Reviews Counted: 17
Fresh: 2 | Rotten: 15
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 3.4/10
Critic Reviews: 5
Fresh: 1 | Rotten: 4
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 2.9/5
User Ratings: 55,225
This 1980 version of the oft-filmed Henry Devere Stackpoole novel The Blue Lagoon was the first to be stamped with an "R" rating. The basic story remains unchanged. Two very small children, a boy and a girl, are shipwrecked on a lush tropical island. They are cared for by fellow castaway Leo McKern. When he dies, the kids, played with a minimum of clothing by Brooke Shields and Christopher Atkins, have no one but each other. When they grow into teen-hood, they also fall madly in love. Heavily
Jun 20, 1980 Wide
Oct 5, 1999
Sony Pictures Entertainment
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
Their romance is enhanced by Nestor Almendros' exquisite photography (and Basil Poledouris' score), as is the stunning beauty of the Fiji island where it was filmed.
The only thing blue about the movie is the sea, and the way you'll feel after wasting your time on this dose of 'tasteful', TV commercial-style, nudity.
[It] has a nonsensical glaze that contributes to the inadvertent merriment.
At a little over 100 minutes, the film feels as if huge chunks of it were edited out for pace; however, the wrong chunks have been cut.
Ugh! Ah! Make it stop!!!
It's pornography for people who like to go to book burnings; a sex fantasy as chaste as your 3rd grade piano teacher.
You can focus on the gorgeous locales or the underage skin. Or you could just watch a much better movie.
Audience Reviews for The Blue Lagoon
Movies Like The Blue Lagoon
- Emmeline: (imitating Richard) It doesn't scare them off unless I can spear them!
- Emmeline: (throws an umbrella that acted as the spear)
- Richard: Aw, spear you!
- Paddy Button: (chasing Richard and Em) Come back here and put your clothes on!
- Young Richard: I don't wanna wear my old britches!
- Paddy Button: It ain't proper to be runnin' 'round naked...
- Paddy Button: (stops, out of breath)
- Paddy Button: ...all the time!
- Richard: What are you LOOKING at?
- Emmeline: Your muscles.
- Richard: What about them? You're really acting silly lately, Em. Always saying DUMB things like that. Always LOOKING at me funny! You're not coming down with something, are you? Don't give it to me.
- Arthur LeStragne: (last lines) Are they dead?
- Captain: (last lines) No, sir. They're asleep.
- Young Richard: Where are we?
- Paddy Button: Nirvana! That's where we are.
- Richard: There's so many things I don't understand, like why do the fish stop swimming and lie on top of the tide pools after the heavy rain? Why do you hear the waves inside the big shells? Why are all these funny hairs growing on me? I wish a big book with the answers to every question in the world would drop out of the sky and land in my hands right now. I'd read it till I knew everything.
- Emmeline: Oh, Richard, you can't know everything. Only God knows everything.
- Richard: God - He can't find us any better than Santa Claus.
Discuss The Blue Lagoon on our Movie forum!