Body Bags Reviews

September 28, 2010
Highly enjoyable horror anthology made for TV in the early 90s.
June 10, 2011
Hooper and Carpenter prove themselves as true masters of horror. This triple-story insanity is scary, fun, and delightful to watch. With some directors in hilarious characters, it's made to make you have a great time
½ July 24, 2010
I should have saved this for Shocktober because it's a good Halloween movie. It's basic John Carpenter meets Tales from the Crypt w/ a really good cast. You get Robert Carradine as a serial killer in the first segment, Stacy Keach losing his hair & then becoming hairy as a Wookie in the 2nd, & Mark Hamill losing an eye & having it being replaced w/ a killers. Then you get a bevy of directors like Wes Craven, Sam Raimi & Roger Corman in cameos. Not quite Creepshow but definitely better then Tales From the Darkside.
cancercapricorn2002
May 15, 2008
Movie-buffs (and perhaps horror fanatics in particular) are strange and unpredictable beings, aren't they? Most of the time we're extremely skeptical and criticize ambitious new projects, yet sometimes we're easily pleased and highly enthusiast about something that is completely derivative, mundane and unoriginal. "Body Bags" is the perfect example to illustrate that: it's a horror omnibus existing of three incredibly prototypic segments and a repetitive type of wraparound story, yet I personally enjoyed it immensely. This is a good old-fashioned "sit back, relax and switch off all brain functions" type of anthology with a nice diversity in suspense, comedy, splatter and absurdity. Yet, the undeniable strongpoint of "Body Bags" is the all-star horror cast and crew, with legendary actors and even directors of the genre appearing in fun supportive roles and insignificant cameos. No less than John Carpenter directs two out of three stories and even stars as the host in the wraparound story. Clearly inspired by "Tales from the Crypt", Carpenter plays the witty and morbid morgue employee exactly like the infamous Crypt Keeper; though with still a little more flesh around the bones (though not too much). The first story was the most effective one! Regardless of how clichéd, repetitive and predictable "The Gas Station" is, it's a genuine horror entertainment. With the landmark "Halloween", Carpenter obviously proved he's the undeniable master of stalk-and-slash movies, and "The Gas Station" ideally fits the pattern. During her first night working in a remote gas station, Anne receives a visit from the maniacal killer who's been terrorizing the area since weeks. It's a highly segment with cool red herrings, dumb decisions, some good gore and a neatly uncanny atmosphere. The remaining two stories are slightly less overpowering, mainly because they revolve on sillier topics. "Hair" introduces an aging playboy who cannot accept his hairline becoming thinner. He desperately starts seeking for a hair-growing method that works and finds the incredibly treatment of the slightly odd Dr. Lock. Needless to say Richard's new hairdo begins to lead its own life with terrible consequences. "Hair" is obviously the most blackly comical chapter of the three. This story isn't gory or tense, but it's a very likable satire about vanity. Finally, "Eye" centers on a successful and happily married athlete who loses his eye in a tragic car accident. He spontaneously volunteers for a brand new and risky eye-transplant procedure and slowly begins to carry on with his life. Shortly after, he begins to suffer from horrific visions and learns the eye's previous owner was a sadistic serial killer. "Eye" starts off a little slow and dull, but gradually turns into an exciting and gruesome little shock-story. With a bit of imagination, you could even interpret this segment as some sort of predecessor for the more famous Asian ghost story "The Eye". Admittedly none of the stories are extraordinary brilliant or innovating, but they're definitely traditional and enthusiastically made.This is worth a look if you can find it. Be warned the out of print dvd is cut and the vhs version is uncut but still missing some footage. Hopefully the true uncut version will appear one day
July 28, 2008
I went NUTS trying to find this on DVD but there are two versions Beware!
July 31, 2009
Wow...I don't think I've seen this yet.
½ July 13, 2008
The movie "Body Bags" was originally a pilot episode for a TV series in the style of "Tales From The Crypt" and "Tales From The Darkside" to be aired on Showtime, but for some reason the series got shut down before any more episodes were made. Here we get three short horror movies, two directed by John Carpenter and one by Tobe Hooper. Entertaining for the moment, but nothing really memorable.
½ March 6, 2009
the first of the 3 storys is the best and the other two are average made for TV episode but this movie is a pilot for a TV series so is not bad
½ August 22, 2008
meh all three were creepy but wern't that Great of a short film
May 4, 2008
Belongs on the scifi channel, where I first saw it as a kid. Though I understand the desire to appear in your own movies, I don't think John Carpenter does a good job as the storyteller, better off behind the camera, and Tobe Hooper out acts him with a mere three lines. None of the three stories stand out. The first is best directed in terms of pacing and visuals, but the second has the strongest storyline. The third one shows us Mark Hamill at his acting worst, and ends in anti-climatic and predictable manner. All these stories suffer from the usual hiccups of horror scripts - too many illogical details placed within it just to attach one scare to another. Not a classic like so many horror fans claim. Basically a bunch of horror directors got together to do a cameo fest under the guise of a "Tales from the Darkside" type scary stories compilation. Not as good as another crapulation from the same era, Creepshow.
December 7, 2007
And the John Carpenter dick riding train has halted to a stop. These short stories weren't "horrible", but, they were pretty damn close. A guy gets a hair trainsplant from an alien that turns him into a hairy man. I know I'm scared!! Only good part was that in one short, Mark Hammel gets in a car accident and loses his job...been there, disfigured that!
½ October 14, 2007
Body Bags starts in a morgue where the attendant (John Carpenter) enjoys his job, he particularly likes the stiffs that come in in black body bags for they contain the murder, accident & suicide victims. Each one seems to have they're own morbid tale of how they ended up on the coroners autopsy table. Jump to Haddonfield where our first story titled 'The Gas Station' is set. A serial killer is on the loose & new gas station employee Anne (Alex Datcher) is preparing for a long lonely night-shift. Anne becomes increasingly paranoid about everyone who turns up believing any of them may be a serial killer. The next body belongs to a someone who committed suicide in a story called 'Hair'. Richard Coberts (Stacy Keach) is losing his hair & it's ruining his life, confidence & self esteem. Wanting to impress his girlfriend Megan (Sheena Easton) he contacts Dr. lock (David Warner) who promises a miracle hair regrowth treatment, unfortunately the procedure has some unexpected & very much unwanted side-effects. The final segment is entitled 'Eye' & features pro baseball player Brent Matthews (Mark Hamil) who appears to have an almost perfect life, that is until he is involved in a car accident in which he loses his right eye. However Dr. Lang (John Agar) has spent the past 10 years of his life perfecting an eye transplant & Brent becomes the first beneficiary of the treatment, unfortunately the operation is not without it's problems. Technically Body Bags is pretty solid considering it's a TV produced film, nothing spectacular but at the same time it's generally well made.
October 12, 2007
WASNT REALLY ALL OF THAT, BUT I WAS ALWAYS WATCHIN IT! I LIKED IT!
½ September 24, 2007
Not perfect but interesting horror flick coming from Pay TV, including two sketches directed by JC and the third one done by Tobe Hooper (POLTERGEIST). I have to admit that the best one was Hooper's (with Mark Hamill), Carpenter's sketches being a little bit standard fare. The second one about the growing hair (with an outrageous Stacy Keach) was kind of funny, though. And I couldn't keep myself from smiling at seeing JC as the master of ceremony.
August 3, 2007
I saw this! It was....weird.