The Bone Collector Reviews

May 7, 2010
It didn't really engage me as much as a crime thriller should. I won't spoil anything, but the ending was very random and weak. (First and only full viewing - May 2013)
December 21, 2013
Not a "must see" but a "can watch it".
December 16, 2013
Interesting plot, great cast, but mundane and lifeless film. Needed a better script to be this serious.
½ December 11, 2013
nach so langer zeit immer noch für spannend befunden
November 3, 2013
Film "the Power of Fear" was a surprisingly exciting, Denzel Washington played very well in the movie!!!My score to the film 4 out of 5!!
May 18, 2011
Phillip Noyce is a brilliant director, his latest adventure Salt is spectacular and The Bone Collector is one of his other unforgettable movies, a mysterious and nerve shredding suspense thriller with unpredictable plot turns throughout. With an excellent cast with the likes of Angelina Jolie, Denzel Washington, Ed O'Neill and Queen Latifah and a phenomenal twist end that had me literally at the edge of my seat with shock.
September 8, 2013
Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie muster enough electricity to make The Bone Collector a watchable thriller.
July 10, 2007
Not bad. Not good. Not altogether memorable.
July 23, 2013
1999's Fight Club Is One Of My Favorite Films.
July 15, 2013
Monday, July 15, 2013

(1999) The Bone Collector
THRILLER

Based on the Jeffrey Deavor novel starring Denzil Washington as top criminologist Lincoln Rhyme and as a result of an accident becomes a paraplegic where he can do nothing except stay in bed 24/7. A murder is discovered, and rookie cop happens to be nearby and volunteers to investigate and she is Amelia Donaghy played by Angela Jolie. Ryme wants her to stick to the case even though she doesn't really want to but is somehow forced into it since it's assumed that these other specific cops generally fumble at collecting and gathering evidence rather than follow Ryme's rules.

Although based on novel by author Deavor, this movie has many visual similarities to the 1991 movie "Silence Of the Lambs" where the Jodie Foster character has to work with the Anthony Hopkins in order to catch a deranged serial killer. In this case, Jolie has to work with Washington and they're great together in much of the film, but they're so many unnecessary scenes of victims being tortured to death when it may have worked more effectively if they showed them as the two stars were solving it. The director Phillip Noyce obviously had to compromise with producers who wanted the audience to feel the same pain as the killer's victims do. I mean, just because it works on some serial killer films, it doesn't mean that it'll work on this film. I mean how can the audience look at the point of view of the serial killer when we don't even know what he looks like in the first place.

2 out of 4 stars
July 18, 2013
Watch it for some sparkling performances.
½ July 5, 2013
muy buena pelicula excelente trama
½ July 30, 2007
A well done suspense movie that has a decent story, good acting from the whole cast (I think this is one of Luis Guzmans best film and it is always nice to see Ed O'Neill in a serious movie) and a nice pace. Yes, it is a little gross in parts, but overall this is a good film that is worth seeing, plus seeing Denzel and Angelina together was kinda cool.
April 27, 2013
great movie!!!! and Denzel is simply a cutie!!!!!
April 21, 2013
WHEN I FIRST SAW IOT IWAS ABOUT 7-8 AND IT SCARED THE SHIT OUT OF ME
August 2, 2010
The Bone Collector is a suspense thriller that combines Rear Window and Seven. Two cops on the trail of a brutal serial killer must see as one, act as one, and think as one before the next victim falls. Lincoln Rhyme (Denzel Washington) is an intelligent forensics detective who was paralyzed in the line of duty. The author of several books, he has a keen eye for detail and nose for clues that have made him a legend in the law enforcement community. Amelia Donaghy (Angelina Jolie) is a street-smart policewoman in her twenties. On her last day as a street cop, before being transferred to a desk job, Amelia discovers a badly mutilated corpse. Rhyme is asked to investigate the case, but he declines. To him, it is an open-and-shut case not worth his time. But when he takes a close look at the evidence, he is intrigued, as the photos reveal complex messages in their details. The lunatic, who might be a taxi driver (a Scorsese allusion), amuses himself by paying homage to legendary murders in his own gruesome acts. Amelia is assigned to assist Rhyme, and she must be the eyes and ears of the quadriplegic detective. And they must capture the killer before he strikes again. Written by Jeremy Iacone and based on a book of the same title by Jeffrey Deaver, The Bone Collector was directed by the Australian thriller specialist Phillip Noyce, who directed such films as Clear and Present Danger and Dead Calm.
½ July 2, 2007
Extremely forgettable. Denzel Washington is a terrific actor, but he takes on a lot of roles in very bad films. I guess he just likes the craft.
March 13, 2013
This film had me on the edge of my seat from its beginning. Moving rapidly with mysterious elements galore, this movie tells the story of two highly intelligent and motivated detectives on the chase of a grisly murderer who collects bones from his victims. Some scenes are heart wrenching and scary, definitely not for the tender hearted or weak hearted person to see. The movie has the kind of ending I expected it to have, but a couple of very pleasant end scenes bring the movie down to reality and hope for the future, in spite of handicaps. Great movie.......good acting all the way around.
March 5, 2013
Standard American Serial Killer Crime Drama. It took me this long but I finally realised that Denzel Washington plays practically the same guy in every one of his films (with the slight exception of Training Day). Although this may harm his acting credentials slightly, I think I never thought about it because it his quick witted and hot tempered characters are always a positive. This isn't any different but I do have a bone to pick with it when it comes to the plot. Most likely in an attempt to make the killer someone no-one would expect, it was a person who wasn't really relevant enough it make the revelation jaw-dropping. Also, you could tell it was random when they rushed the explanation for the reasons behind the crimes right at the end. A more detailed picture of Washington's character's origin or a stronger mention of the killer's involvement in his life early on would have raised it half a star. The chase/crimes are creative and the significance of Washington being paralysed gave more depth to his story but it unfortunately committed the crime of failing at the climax.
½ October 2, 2006