Bonneville - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bonneville Reviews

April 5, 2010
100405: Mediocre actors doing a story that's already been done.
April 10, 2013
sounds like it has potential
February 6, 2013
Great if you're mature or mature minded woman. Nothing harmful to be found here just innocent fun chick flick.
½ August 25, 2012
Standard fare but I love the cast and journey of feelings.
May 28, 2012
so so. old ladies movie
½ April 28, 2012
It was pretty sweet and had some really amusing moments. Definitely a chick flick for the older generation, and maybe a film that will not be enjoyed by all, but I kinda liked it.
December 2, 2011
This movie passed the "Anne" test. Jessica Lange plays Arvilla, a woman who has just returned from Borneo with her husband's ashes. What do I do now? Of course she does not lack for friends and family who tell her what she must do. Her step-daughter is determined to bury her father's ashes next to her mother. Arvilla's friend encourages her to follow her heart. Along with her friends Arvilla takes a road trip from Pocatello, Idaho to Santa Barbara, CA. Memories that make life worth living help Arvilla make a decision.

The movie is very funny, but in the end the trip these three women take in Arvilla's vintage '66 Pontiac Bonneville could best be described as the journey of a lifetime.
October 17, 2011
This is an older movie. I'm not sure why I never saw it. It's really good. Funny and emotional. If I were here, I would have switched the ashes and not said anything. Right? No one would have ever known!
½ February 25, 2008
This is more a movie aimed at older women (no comments that I am not that far off. haha), but I didn't mind it. It follows Arvilla, (Jessica Lange), who has recently lost her husband. I thought it dealt very well with her grief and it felt very real and sad. She ends up in a situation where she discovers her husband did not update his will and his old one specifies that his daughter, Francine, from a previous marriage, gets the house. Christine Baranski is horrible as Francine. I mean that in a good way, it is a horrible character - Christine does a great job with it! One of the things that made me laugh was the awful shriek ringtone Arvilla had set on her mobile for when she calls.
Francine decides that Arvilla can keep the house, as long as she returns the ashes to her to be buried with his first wife. Arvilla is in turmoil as she knows this is not what her late husband wanted. She and her two girlfriends take a road trip to revisit some old memories and drop the ashes off to the Francine (or does she....).
It is fairly slight on plot once the roadtrip stuff starts, but it is a nice female buddy movie. I think it has been compared to Thelma and Louise a few times, and I could certainly see that. I dare say T & L is the better of the two, but this is nicely acted and rings true.
½ July 9, 2011
Three women on a road trip of discovery is not a new idea, but this one stands up well.
July 9, 2011
having seen 'The Way' the night before, we watched this as part of a 'scattering ashes' genre season. Not as good, sadly - characterisation and event were both only sketchy, and the plot felt incomplete. As most reviewers comment, the cast did well with a pedestrian story.
April 16, 2011
I liked this movie. Love all the actresses. Tom Skeritt makes an appearance. A cell phone that caws like a monkey. What's not to love? Oh, and the bonneville. What a car! Sweet, short (90 minutes) movie. I recommend it highly.
March 6, 2011
Aw this was a cute movie!! I hope me & my friends are this close when we are old :)
February 25, 2008
I am sure that I can miss this one.
December 14, 2010
Thelma and Louise 15 years later -- mellower, funnier, and willing to keep on living rather than to drive off the cliff.
November 14, 2010
This is one of these films that doesn´t live up to the expectations. Arvilla has to travel from Idaho to Santa Barbara to relunctantly deliver her husband´s ashes to stepdaughter Francine or she will loose her home.
And she decides to make this trip in her late husband´s Bonneville and in the company or her best 2 friends, laid back Margine and control freak Carol.
This is a road movie following the trend of "Thelma and Louise" with 3 leading ladies instead of 2 and without the tragedy touch at the end.
It is a shame that this great cast is waisted in a too girly and far too predictable picture. The story is not original but it had some attractive features, unfortunately the script has too many holes (for a while the car disappears and they travel in a boat, and then the car comes back without a proper explanation) and the final product is too sugary and doesn't quite ring true.
½ February 27, 2008
Nothing new here at all - BUT it was fun to see these 3 great ladies in a girlfriends flick. Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates and Joan Allen are fun to watch. Tom Skeritt is handsome as ever as the hunky truck-driver they meet as they cross the country together in a big ol' Bonneville convertable to carry the ashes of Lange's character (Anvilla) dead husband back to California to his over-bearing daughter played well by Christine Baranski. Fun lil chick flick for anyone but especially us gals a little closer to the age of the ladies in the film.
LWOODS04
November 4, 2009
Cast: Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates, Joan Allen, Tom Skerritt, Christine Baranski, Victor Rasuk, Tom Amandes, Tom Wopat, Robert Conder, Jayson Creek, Arabella Field, Kristen Marie Hullinger, Ivey Lloyd, Bruce Newbold, Steve O'Neill, Laura Park, Jodi Russell

Director: Christopher N. Rowley

Summary: This road trip yarn, follows three friends on a journey across the West after one of them is widowed. Along the way, they learn a thing or two about themselves, one another and life.

My Thoughts: " This film has three very talented leading ladies in it, Kathy Bates being my favorite. Arvilla is the adventurous one, Carol is the goody two-shoes, and Margene is the free spirited one. Together they all make for a good watch. The acting is strong and the story is as well. But there is no action no great adventure. BUT, I still enjoyed it. I felt like I was peeking in on the friendship of three best friends and enjoying the trip with them. Christine Baranski plays the daughter to the deceased and is a very unlikeable character. She has no sympathy for Arvilla Holden and is quite cruel to her. But then you have to sympathize with her just a tiny bit cause she too, is also grieving. This movie is not going to be for everyone, especially those who don't really like character driven stories. But I enjoyed it and thought it was time well spent."
½ August 13, 2010
Far be it for a man to stop and ask for direction but Bonneville charted this reviewer on a familiar but sometimes welcome course, diverted away from a tourist trap called popcorn blockbusters. The movie does not aspire to reverse the effects of Global Warming or end the conflict in Darfur. Rather, in a film age brimming with expensively drawn superheroes and bullet-ridden sequels, it simply sets out to tell an original feel-good tale and does it kinda sorta well. This soul-searching road trip movie does, however, employ a lot of formula and not a lot of dramatic punch, focusing on a largely ignored demographic.

In this PG-13-rated drama, a newly widowed Idaho woman (Lange) sets off on a road trip with her friends (Bates, Joan Allen) to deliver the ashes of her deceased husband to a mean-spirited stepdaughter (Christine Baranski).

It begins amidst death, yes. But debut writer/director Christopher N. Rowley quickly (and smartly) whisks moviegoers away from this maudlin fog and sets the wheels a-turning early on. Humor proves to be the best medicine and the script injects the action with just enough to douse the funereal setting. The story ultimately conveys that honoring life is, perhaps, more important than honoring death. But the age of the characters makes this lesson timelier. Though far from ?old,? the mature casting rejects any notion that road tripping is only for the young. All involved drive home the point that the search for oneself is a lifelong quest. Unfortunately, the standard material sometimes makes this viewing experience FEEL like a lifelong quest.

Bottom line: A road to nowhere special.
June 24, 2010
was a great movie, funny and sad but really good.