• R, 1 hr. 33 min.

82% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Boogeyman Reviews

September 16, 2010
Well for this will be the last American or horror I review for a while because I would rather move onto something different something more like Akira Kurosawa films or really anything that I have seen that comes out of were I live. So the reason for me seeing this that Vamp Reilly calls Ulli Lemmel the worst director ever but I had never seen a film by him so I decide to watch just a few but I only got throw 2 and a half of his movies there just terrible. So I watched The Zodiac killer, The raven, Zombie nation and the boogeyman so that?s what I am reviewing. Despite me thinking it was average I liked it more then the others and I don?t think I will be seeing another film by him anytime soon.

So the film is all about a mirror and the starting scene was so brutal two kids are beaten by there mums boyfriend and it just get?s really disturbing from there. So one of them dies and the girl grows up to be successful women but her past keeps coming back to her. She keeps seeing herself get beaten and god knows what. So her husbent takes her to the house she grow up in to show her there?s nothing that can hurt you anymore but a really old mirror in her brothers room tells a different story. Sometime later something brakes out of the mirror and starts murdering people and that?s really much the whole films story.

The film has really has a lot of murders of teenagers and people to teens are having a good time talking then the mirrors shard brakes off and some guy out of nowhere butchers them with a pitchfork. The story can be extremely confusing sometimes. The acting is really and one of the only great parts about this movie and also I have to say but the window scene really did scare me but that?s about it for frights. The film has like a ton of gore and violence that any horror fan would love and it looks really realistic for a movie like this. And this could have been a pretty solid horror movie but directed Ulli Lemmel directed this LOL.

But that?s all I can really say about this film I really only recommended it to you if you love horror films. And also I am not going to write reviews for a while because I need to adapt my own way of writing them not just steal the way Jesse does it.

Keiko?s score 42-100
Dr Blood

August 20, 2007
This is a weird mix of "Halloween", "The Exorcist" and even "The Amityville Horror". It was one of the original banned "Video Nasties" in the UK (where it was called "The Bogey Man") but it's such a badly edited mess that it's now hard to see why.
It's still a bit creepy in places but certainly not scary and the low-budget makes it all look very cheap and even more badly done.
It's still better than the 2005 remake though.
Don't even bother with the sequels!
John2223
John2223

August 7, 2007
"The Boogeyman" is a peculiar little horror movie that mixed "Halloween", "Amityville Horror" and "The Exorcist". The plot was stupid, the acting terrible, illogical script, the cutting extremely bad, the pace is slow and feels dragged. The only positive element in the film are the murder scenes.
This is e bad and dull film that gained notoriety by being black listed in England as a video nasty otherwise it just had disappeared.
Marion R

October 22, 2009
Not being a horror film watcher I am not sure if this is standard, but this was really bad. Darth Vader's ghost attacking random people really doesn't make any sense.
October 7, 2012
the import bluray i picked up looks amazing. Ill always have a soft spot for this movie having grown up on it.
June 20, 2012
Typical late 70's/early 80's supernatural fluff about the evil spirit of a murdered bad guy haunting and killing the adopted family of the brother and sister who murdered him. He's been trapped in a mirror the whole time, and gets freed when the mirror is broken. One never really sees the boogeyman himself except in the mirror; he's a guy in a wifebeater with pantyhose over his head. Once he's out of the mirror, it's all objects levitating, a quick possession, and bits of glass causing havoc. Essentially brainless stuff (Ulli Lommel directed it, after all), but falls into the so-bad-it's-good category, Switch off your brain and enjoy the low-budget silliness.
September 28, 2011
It's sad to see that Ulli Lommel never really had anything to recommend him as a director, being that this was an early effort from the man and it was every bit as terrible as his more modern stuff.

There's a cute female lead, which is almost the only thing worth mentioning.

Rental for the curious? Maybe?
coryivy
July 7, 2007
If u like thrillers and suspense movies then watch the boogeyman. but if u get scared easy then stay away. lol
sexybunny071
September 12, 2006
this you have to watch it from beginning to end to understand it you cant miss one scene or will will not know what is going on
Mike L.
August 30, 2013
It Is A Mess Of A Film But Its A Fun Film As Far As Cheap Horrors Go
April 9, 2013
God, This was horrible. I'd imagine the special effects budget was that of a fry cook at mcdonalds scraping together to save money for the effects, because this film holds up about as well as Louie Anderson in a diving competition. I'd skip this and not think twice.
April 9, 2013
i love the boogeyman, it was one of the best horror movies from my childhood
February 14, 2013
There are spoilers in here, but really, there's just not that much to spoil. If you really are set on watching "The Boogeyman" in suspense, then, stop reading.

So, what could I classify this movie as? Well, it's a mashup movie. A mashup of Amityville Horror (using a house that looks identical), Halloween (a child POV stabbing scene) and the Waltons. The story is, as kids, Lacy and Jake had a mom that was less than nurturing. Her boyfriend is trying to have sex with her and the kids are looking in through the window, appearantly locked out. So they get punished. Makes sense. The boyfriend wears a stocking on his head, and then is stabbed by Jake, a-la Michael Myers.

Fast forward to, uhm, the future. Jake is now a mute, who collects knives and has a pet tarantula. I'd definetly want a mute guy who killed as a child to collect knives. Probably great for therapy.

Speaking of therapy, John Carradine shows up to half-act his way through another paycheck, as Lacy's psychiatrist. She has flashbacks of the murder and starts acting like a demon, to which Carradine responds, "Ok. You can wake up now." Unfazed. What a badass.

So at this point I was wondering, how did this become a Video Nasty? I've learned my lesson from listening to Lampyman101's Youtube reviews of the Video Nasties that most of the time, the DPP had no clue what they were doing when prosecuting movies. And for a little while, this seemed like the case. Then, all at once, chaos and mayhem.

Lacy's husband takes her to the house the murder took place in, which is inhabited by an apple munching girl and her siblings, one of which being an obnoxious little brat who you prey, sickeningly, will somehow get killed. Lacy sees the mirror and starts having flashbacks, so she smashes it with a chair, and her husband inexplicably puts the pieces in a bag to put back together at home and hang on the wall like some sort of prize.

This appearantly unleashes the demon inside the mirror, who promptly rips the shirt off of one girl and forces her to stab herself, then slams the window on the neck of the obnoxious kid (mini-cheer!), then smacks the remaining girl in the head with the bathroom mirror. So we go from no violence to boobs and violence run amuck! Huh.

So what we have is a killer mirror movie, a mirror which has a heartbeat similar to the demos of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon." It tries to kill Jake using a pitchfork but fails miserablely. Lacy's husband puts the mirror together but a piece gets stuck on his son's shoe, just as he and Lacy head to the lake to fish.

So now what we have is a killer mirror shard movie. And some random disposable teens, one of which is wearing a "Triumph" tee shirt. Yeah 80's! He's unfortunately killed by a flying knife, which his girlfriend then french kisses. It has to be seen to be believed.

So Lacy comes home and is almost raped by the demon mirror, as her kid wonders towards the oversized well the family keeps in the back yard. To recover, she locks herself in a dark lit room. Seems logical to me. At this point, out of nowhere, John Carradine's character reappears, basically to say, "This script is rediculous! I refuse to believe anything that's going on in it!"

So a priest shows up, just as Lacy's family is being killed by pitchforks and garden hoses. The mirror gets a piece of itself lodged in Lacy's eye, and makes her talk like a demon. She hits the priest in the back, causing massive head bleeding (?), but eventually, the mirror is ripped off the wall and thrown into the well where it explodes.

Oh yeah. And Jake, predictably, says a few words and is no longer mute. Wait...didn't he kill someone? What happened with that? Uhm...

So this movie is a trainwreck. I can only recommend it to "Nasty" fans or fans of weird, bizzare 80's horror.
John W.
October 2, 2012
Certainly no classic. While the mirror is a clever plot device, unfortunately it's also the best actor in this confused, derivative mess.
September 19, 2012
This movie really had nothing to do with The Boogeyman. A better title would be Evil Broken Mirrors and the guy with pantyhose on his head. Because thats pretty much it. But it has some kewl scenes and its worth a watch for any hardcore horror fan.
April 3, 2012
Well like it or not its a classic slasher.

September 16, 2010

Keiko?s score 42-100
Favian G.
June 21, 2010
Stupid movie all throughout.Stupid ending especially when the piece of glass goes on the girls eye.The whole silent brother thing is dumb too.
Kyle H.
June 21, 2010
This movie really made no sense and wasn't even scary and no one knows that it actually exists.