Book of Shadows - Blair Witch 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Book of Shadows - Blair Witch 2 Reviews

October 19, 2015
Bearing absolutely no semblance or near connections to the original at all, and not even having the found footage camerawork that helped add, Book of shadows is a drearily dull sequel that fails even to stand on it's own.
½ August 15, 2015
The so-called "one of the scariest movies of all time" gets a sequel that's caught in the cult following wave and tackled the film with poor results in performances and unclear, ineffective surrounding the filmic "myth" within the compelling-turned-disappointing premise, despite being stylized differently in a clichéd horror genre fashion. The only ups this film possess are manageable engaging points when it started to get mysterious, until most of it went down to a conclusion that'd revealed the disturbance within. (C)
September 26, 2015
You can't really call this a bad sequel because it uses all the elements that mad e the Blair witch project a smash hit to help its boring premise! Not only that but the acting is subpar at best, its horribly directed, not even remotely scary, and a bloated out hollywood cashgrab like Ace Ventura Jr! NO STAR!!!
½ June 30, 2015
Kind of interesting!?
August 27, 2010
You know a movie is bad when you can't finish it. This one was much worse than the original Blair Witch Project.
½ June 1, 2015
This had little to nothing to do with the first movie and brings up the bad memories of Halloween 3.
April 13, 2015
It's a silly film really. Number 1 fan of the original and I'm not too offended. It's not a film to be taken seriously, it features camp performances, not as much grit as it believes itself to possess and a wobbly, rushed direction throughout, especially towards the end. It is however enjoyable for the most part and relatively memorable.
March 23, 2015
The main problem with this film, aside from it sucking the very life out of you, is that the first one didn't pay off the way everyone hoped it would.Sure, it was initially creepy when it was believed to be real.But, when the truth about the film's origins came out, it became a stupid movie with a shaky camera that made everyone nauseous.A second one was neither needed nor welcomed and it took away from the "documentary" style that made the first one so popular.
March 7, 2015
I will never understand the negativity and poor reviews regarding Book of Shadows. This remains in my top 10 horror movies after years(although, JUST in the top 10). The Critics Consensus above is awful in my opinion with the only, albeit, stinging flaw that they connected this movie to the Blair Witch at all. They didn't need to but, I suspect that there were behind the scenes factors that forced this script to take that name.
I'm not going to go on and on about the movie, but I could.
The strongest element that has lingered with me and what sets this movie apart is how easily and well the characters are tricked into their situations.
Yes there are elements from other horror and possession-based films, much like every horror and possession-based film. But it works.
The characters and their development were nicely fleshed out and they felt a lot closer to real people to me than many other films.
I enjoyed the suspense and the twists immensely and this movie will continue to rate high in my book. Oh, and btw, - that "Movie Info" - that canNOT be right, can it? That's like the worst synopsis ever.
½ February 19, 2015
Apparently, I'm one of the few people who actually appreciated and enjoyed this film. First of all, it has almost nothing to do with the first film. Second, I really didn't like the first Blair Witch and thought the sequel was better. In order to appreciate this film, you need to have some understanding of the occult, particularly of black magick and evil spirits as depicted in legend and folklore. From the proper perspective, this film is terrifying, whereas the average viewer might be confused or bored. You see, the way how evil spirits interact with people is to get inside their heads and distort/change how they perceive "reality." This movie is all about that phenomenon. Brilliant and underappreciated work. 4.5 stars.
November 12, 2014
June 20, 2013
Everything that was the brilliant about 'The Blair Witch Project' has been stripped away and result is a dull and irritating horror with very few scares.
April 28, 2012
There may indeed be another story to tell about the Blair Witch, but "Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2" is not it. This will go down in history as one of the worst sequels ever, a follow-up that no one asked for and only exists to cash in on the wildly successful original. But while that remains one of the most original and scariest horror films of all time, this is conventional in every way.

There's great evidence of tampering by the studio to make this more commercial, but all they've succeeded in doing is making an incoherent mess of a movie that is so bad it tarnishes the reputation of the first film. There's absolutely nothing even remotely scary about this film, as the most it can muster are a lot of shocking images that turn out to be hallucinations anyway.

Gone is the imagination and suggestiveness that made the original so special. Instead, it's replaced by a lot of ridiculous and unnecessary gore that doesn't even make sense within the context of the film. The sequel sets up an intriguing premise that is founded on the basis that the first movie was just that; a movie. What would happen if fans of that movie try to prove its authenticity? But that premise is forgotten about after the first twenty minutes and what follows is an excruciatingly boring and talky film with only the most threadbare connection to its predecessor. And as perhaps a sign of the studio's desperation, the title is completely meaningless. There is no "Book of Shadows" in "Blair Witch 2", as well as no scares, logic or a coherent story. This may very well be the worst film of the year.
May 10, 2011
Book of Shadows is incoherent, derivative, by-the-numbers horror fare.
May 19, 2014
How bad can movies get?

½ April 12, 2014
So many people knocked this one, but I personally enjoyed it a lot. It wasnt shot in the found footage format like the previous movie. It was more about telling a story and then I thought had a decent, even if predictable, ending.
March 28, 2014
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally, we get a poignant, groundbreaking, and shockingly terrifying film that never lets up. I especially love those scenes where the goth girl just knows about random shit without explanation. It added a beautiful aura to the film's atmosphere. Fuck the first film and its fake groundbreakingness. This is how all films must be made until the end of time.
½ July 15, 2007
One of the absolute worst movies I've ever seen. Downright insulting follow-up to a brilliant horror experience. Bad acting, horrific script and tacky music video stylization but worst of all; It makes NO sense.
½ February 4, 2014
This is just beyond words... How did they allow this? 2 Directors create a cult classic horror movie and within a year the studios just go and take what made them money and wiped their ass with it. Thats what this film is, one big ass wiping session. Its painful from start to finish, not one moment of it is in anyway enthralling or scary or even enjoyable. If any film maker wanted to continue the success of the original, why not do a take on the Rustin Parr avenue, that could have worked, continue the mythos, create a broader world? Or how about a prequal about Ellie Kedworth, how she came to get banished and how she seeked her revenge, yet again expanding the mythos. These all seem like decent enough ideas right? So what do the film makers of the sequal do? I have no idea... I was watching but nothing was sinking in. It took me three sessions to eventually reach the end of this movie. I dont know the characters names because they are that one dimentional and stereotypical that i didnt care about them in anyway. The script is utterly appauling. A group of blair witch fans go on a tour of the woods where the original is filmed, some crazy drug session follows and in the morning they have unleashed madness upon burkettsville... I mean who cares, its nonesense. It's laughable, that someone actually thought that this would even help the lengevity of a franchise and it didnt, it killed it stone dead. Total and utter waste of time from all involved. As the last words uttered in the film "I didnt do that" the answer on every fans lips is "We know, we wish you didnt either".
½ January 18, 2014
Pure garbage from what I can remember.