Booker's Place: A Mississippi Story Reviews

366weirdmovies
½ November 4, 2012
A filmmaker investigates the background and eventual fate of a black waiter who gave an incendiary speech in his father's documentary about racism in Mississippi in the 1960s. A moving and vivid examination of the black experience in Jim Crow's south.
July 27, 2014
The documentary premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival on April 25, 2012
November 22, 2012
2012 is the year of the documentary and this is another one of its finest, taking us back to the Civil Rights era in the American South. Good movie.
July 26, 2012
A really touching, powerful and well-made documentary.
May 3, 2012
Incredably sad story. The heart wrenching truth that our country can't deny.
April 27, 2012
I was fortunate to see a screening of a documentary film called "Booker's Place" A Mississippi story. A story about two lives coming together and how it changed them and about the smile that rippled through the fight for civil rights in the South.
I am always open to learn things, that is why I watch documentaries, but to go beyond just numbers and dates and put faces and emotions both good and bad to a point and time in history can really make a bigger impact and stay with you.
That is what this film did for me, half way in to the film I thought about the movie "The Help" not to take away from the performances, but I just felt how safely watered down that movie was for mass consumption.
The 1960's south shown here was a straight up shot, no ice or water added. It went down HARD and then it came back to kick you in the pants. It did what a great documentary is suppose to do, make you want to learn more about the time and subject.
It was very interesting how a piece on the NBC news long ago brought these families together once again. And how important it still is today.
A lot of importance is put into the next "Blockbuster", but if you want to see a "Brainbuster" and come away earnestly feeling and learning something. I highly recommend "Bookers Place" A Mississippi story.