Sacha Baron Cohen Announces "Deaths" of Borat, Ali G

Jagshemash!

There will by no more sexytime for Sacha Baron Cohen.

In an interview with The Daily Telegraph last Friday, Cohen announced the "deaths" of his most well-known characters, the cheerfully anti-Semitic Borat and the abrasive, tracksuit-wearing reporter Ali G. Variety has partially reprinted the interview, including the following quote:

"When I was being Ali G and Borat I was in character sometimes 14 hours a day and I came to love them, so admitting I am never going to play them again is quite a sad thing.

"It is like saying goodbye to a loved one. It is hard, and the problem with success, although it's fantastic, is that every new person who sees the Borat movie is one less person I 'get' with Borat again, so it's a kind of self-defeating form, really."

After debuting the character on Da Ali G Show, which reached American televisions via HBO, Cohen made Borat the star of 2006's Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan, which quickly became one of the year's top comedies (it remains at 91 percent on the Tomatometer).

Cohen is currently working on another film based around one of his characters, Bruno, and can currently be seen in Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd.

Source: Variety

Comments

LordVapor

Justin Quarterman

RIP Borat, Oh yes, It's a very niiiiiice.

Dec 26 - 09:00 AM

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

Dec 26 - 09:25 AM

AlbertBrodsky

AC Persons

I admit that the first time I watched it I wasn't sure if those characters were all played by the same guy. He is a brilliant actor, but he makes me wince at times.

Dec 26 - 09:52 AM

BlueMobius

D.S. Levy

If you haven't seen him in Sweeney Todd, go see it. I have a feeling we're going to see a lot more of him for a long time.

Dec 26 - 10:25 AM

foodstamps_govermentcheez

Jason Schaber

I can't help to like the guy really.Anything he is in I'll take the chance and see it.

Dec 26 - 10:38 AM

oyguvaltshappy

matthew ericson

he didn't say anything about Bruno.

What a brilliant way to throw people off.

Dec 26 - 11:23 AM

T45Red

Mitchell Nash

That's too bad. I really found those characters funny. I remember seeing Borat in theatres a little over a year ago and loving it. I don't think I've laughed that hard at a movie in my life. The whole theatre was a giant laugh riot. It was awesome.

Dec 26 - 11:51 AM

tycox

Tyler C

SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!!!!!

Dec 26 - 12:15 PM

tycox

Tyler C

P.S IF ANYONE HAS NOT SEEN THE ALI G MOVIE "IN DA HOUSE" YOU HAVE GOT TO SEE THAT MOVIE!!! IT IS COHEN AT HIS FINEST...AS PART OF THE GOVERNMENT!!!

Dec 26 - 12:17 PM

~*Admiral Snowstorm*~

Dominique Amsterdam

He's not done with Bruno yet because there hasn't been a movie about him yet. As of now, only his pre-existing fanbase knows who Bruno is. Borat appealed outside of that fanbase, as did the Ali G movie. Bruno's still relatively unknown, though I'd wager a lot more people starting following Cohen after watching the Borat movie. I'd also wager that Bruno will face retirement after the Bruno movie that's in the works is made.

But I think Cohen will do fine afterwards. With Sweeney Todd and Talladega Nights under his belt in addition to the widely-loved Borat, I doubt he'll have a hard time finding work as an actor. Which is good; I like the guy. Even in the woefully mediocre Madagascar, he was one of the funnier characters.

Dec 26 - 12:21 PM

Drunken Mastermind

John Doe

Bummer,what a great character.

Dec 26 - 12:46 PM

filmboy22

Colin Troy

As iconic and beloved a character as Borat is, it's probably the best time to declare its retirement because a lot of people are sick of it and I'm glad he's moving on. Much love for Borat though. He will be missed.

Dec 26 - 02:37 PM

sunsaz

Chris Moore

This is all a set-up. This is probably to get us to lower our guards so he can send Bruno off on an adventure.

Dec 26 - 03:34 PM

walkingdead09

Justin Dean

makes you realize how unfunny those jackass guys are

Dec 26 - 07:45 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

R.I.P. Borat... R.I.P. Da Ali G... you will be dearly missed:(

Dec 26 - 10:31 PM

Gimy

Gimy Moo

i'm not sure its ALL because they're well known characters, i think he just wants to keep his image fresh. there's a point when a character reaches a peak and then begins to become annoying. unfortunately for him, one movie did-in the Borat character. i don't know how many times i've heard horrible impressions of that. you can only do so much with a routine before the public loses interest.

Jackass is hilarious dude, and while Borat was funny...it was not remotely close to being as funny as Jackass 2 or even Dirty Sanchez for that matter

Dec 27 - 07:26 AM

DaLynchMob79

Ryan Schultz

hmmmm...im not sold. Money talks. Let's see what happens when the studios wave some grip and his career begins to decline

Dec 27 - 09:34 AM

UselessRob

Rob McNugget

Wow this is very old news! Didn't he announce this a couple of weeks ago?

Dec 27 - 05:27 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday