Born on the Fourth of July - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Born on the Fourth of July Reviews

½ February 6, 2016
Oliver Stone´s second part of "Vietnam War Trilogy" rises on the strenght of Tom Cruise´s star turn performance as real life vet Ron Kovic as well as the writer-diretor sure handed grip of the personal consequences of war.
January 27, 2016
It looks like a cliche with bizarre twists but tom cruise made an awesome acting breaking or hearts
January 25, 2016
A scintillating career best performance from Tom cruise who perpetually anchors this ambitious yet a little prosaic anti-war tale of Oliver stone...John williams melodious score is also worth mentioning..
July 19, 2012
John Williams Is My Favorite Film Composer Of All Time.
½ January 17, 2016
9 out of 10:

Despite some slow bits, Born on the Fourth of July offers good acting and a great opening.
½ January 16, 2016
A lengthy, kind of depressing story. But it's so insightful of how I'm sure many felt during the Vietnam War. How so many lost hope. Lost sight of the American Dream. This is probably the best performance Tom Cruise has ever given. His character goes through so much transformation, inwardly and so much grief. You really feel for him. This is a war movie I could get into. If anything, watch it for Cruise's amazing performance.
½ September 15, 2015
Stone's passion is present, but never overdone. Cruise gives an amazing performance and never reminds us he's just a movie star.
September 11, 2014
The best of Oliver Stone!
½ October 5, 2015
94%
Watched this on 4/10/15
Oliver Stone's anti war film is extremely well directed and it's one of the most daring and realistic films ever made. One can see the sparks of the director's ideas that flourished in JFK in this film also. It's got fantastic performances, not only from Tom Cruise, but also from William Dafoe. The cinematography is superb and when it comes to violence, this is the most realistic one I have ever seen yet. This Vietnamese war film is extremely haunting and it shows the real intentions of America's pointless wars.
September 8, 2015
Rarely before have I seen such a powerful piece on such a tough subject. Showing the true colors of our country's government, this is one of the greatest anti-war films I have ever witnessed.
August 18, 2010
Oliver Stone's relentlessly realistic true-life saga of Vietnam War veteran Ron Kovic, who joined the Marine Corps as a gung-ho recruit in the 1960s. During his tours in Vietnam, Kovic witnesses a fellow officer kill civilians, accidentally shoots and kills another soldier, and eventually finds himself paralyzed from the waist down for the rest of his life after being shot in the battlefield. Kovic then finds himself disillusioned by the public's treatment of veterans and is abhorred by the minimal care provided to him by the government he served for so long. This brilliant film focuses less on the horrors of war and more on the post-war horrors that our veterans were forced to go through here at home. Cruise earned his first Academy Award nomination for Best Actor, for his stunning tour-de-force turn as Kovic, which is the finest dramatic performance of his career. This film shows the painful and horrific ordeal of physical and mental rehabilitation which Kovic had to endure, before the entire dehumanizing experience transformed him into an anti-war activist. Olivier Stone won an Academy Award for his meticulous direction, he also wrote the engrossing screenplay with Ron Kovic. An exquisite original score by John Williams, with awesome cinematography by Robert Richardson, and exceptional supporting performances by Willem Dafoe, Raymond J. Barry, Carloline Kava, Krya Sedgwick, Frank Whaley, Stephen Baldwin, Tom Berenger, Michael Wincott, Wayne Knight, and Tom Sizemore. But its Tom Cruise's extraordinarily powerful heartfelt performance that totally dominates this motion picture. An unforgettable cinematic experience that is a real eye opener. Highly Recommended.
½ August 10, 2015
People often forget that Cruise isn't just a blockbuster action star but that he was and is an incredible actor, Cruise delivers what could arguably be his best performance to date and definitely his most emotional. The film as a whole is superb and the score perfectly accompanies the scenes. Overall Born on the Fourth is a great Oliver Stone film, a great Tom Cruise Film and a great war film as well.
August 6, 2015
Top three best Cruise role. Probably his best as far as a time-spanning dynamic part. And hey, it's a great film too.
August 5, 2015
Aside from Cruise's portrayal of Vietnam Vet Ron Kovic, I found this to be an ultimately unsatisfying film. Yes it deals with the horrors of returning from war, disabled and the reactions of the population to a war they grew increasingly frustrated with. But aside from Kovic's transformation from 'All American' to embittered anti-war protestor and campaigner I felt the film ultimately lacked a conclusion or coda.
July 5, 2015
Oliver Stone's sympathy for the Vietnam veterans really shows. This film really opens your eyes to what our boys go through when they come home.
April 19, 2015
well crafted bio-pic
½ April 16, 2015
Cruise's best work in a brutally honest no holds bared film of the ravages of war.....also Stones best work.
February 10, 2015
As wars continue to rage on across the world, there is one film that has held up over the course of time, and doesn't get the praise it deserves. "Born on the fourth of july" is one of those films. At first glance it might be marked as an anti-war film, but I consider it more a personal discovery hero journey film. If anything it documents what trauma war has on the fabric of one's soul. I have never personally served in the military, but I recommend this film to all those who have returned from the middle east and suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder as they struggle to get back to whatever you might call "a normal life" in the states. Oliver Stone the director does a great job creating the war experience, and Tom Cruise really captures the essence of an injured veteran, Ron Kovic. Personally, this film has had a big impact on my life. It helped forge my interest in film as a form of art, and ever since an interest in filmmaking. On a side note I got to meet my idol, Oliver Stone last year and all I could say is he "the real deal." Controversial like him or not, he speaks his mind behind and off the camera. He is a nice guy too. Anyway just thought I would write a short review on the film, "Born on the fourth of july." Even if you saw it before, I can't think of a better time to revisit it and see it then right now in 2015. I will.
Robbanflix
September 19, 2009
A pretty good war / drama with a very young Tom Cruise in the main role. Its directed by the great Oliver Stone and follows the same theme as Platoon ,, the Vietnam War. The story is much about the life before and after the war with soldiers feeling betrayed by the country. One of them is paralyzed Ron Kovic played by Tom and he did a very nice performance ,, perhaps one of his best ever. The movie is quite interesting and Oliver Stone usually success with his works. It can't compete with Platoon which is a true war movie which i prefer the most but nice to see a another side of the famous Vietnam War aswell.