Born Romantic Reviews

May 15, 2006
Posted on 5/15/06 03:28 PM
[color=lemonchiffon]Saw dese late April on DVD ...[/color]

[color=orange][b]Born Romantic, 2000, Writer/Director David Kane[/b][/color]
This is a fun UK romantic comedy featuring an ensemble cast and revolves around a latin dance club. Really great cast, I've seen a bit of [color=magenta]Jane Horrocks[/color] (Ab Fab), [color=magenta]Jimi Mistry[/color] and [color=magenta]Catherine McCormack[/color] and of course that guy from the Drew Carey Show (the smarmy boss) - turns out his name is [color=magenta]Craig Ferguson[/color]. The mysterious cab driver was a great addition to the storyline - turns out the actor's name is [color=magenta]Adrian Lester[/color] and he's been in a fair few bit parts; the recent Spider Man film , various TV shows including the mini series Jason and the Argonauts - he was the guy with the harp. [color=magenta]Hermione Norris[/color] is great as the bitchy ex-wife (TV series Cold Feet). Actually just saw her the other night on the telly in the film Mad Cows (1999) with Anna Friel and Joanna Lumley (Ab Fab) ... as the title implies this is a bit of a mad cap comedy ... but I digress ... so back to Born Romantic - I liked it and the oddball characters, nice tidy wrap up at the end - the girls get the guys and vice versa ... awww, just what the punters like.

A lucky find from my local library I have to say!
½ July 11, 2011
Not interesting to human beings. I want to understand how Craig ferguson gets cast in movies. And now ferguson is a lame ass chat show talking face. Shut yer piehole Craig ferguson. Also back to the movie. I fell asleep. Some years later it's on my South Carolina digital tv. And it still eats the rhino dong. Avoid it like the plague. And Craig ferguson should retire & diminish. Save your time & money.
April 22, 2011
olivia williams can be really mean and then smile and make you want to do anything for her... well acted this film is. and i got my dose of jimi mistry. yum.
February 18, 2011
Excellent Brit ensemble romcom. Very slick, funny, well produced, - and it has a message about the need to engage in a world where it's all too easy to accept alienation. 'Four Weddings and a Funeral' morphs into 'Three Couples, a Cabbie and Salsa'.
July 1, 2007
i cant really remember all of it but what i do remember was pretty good

i think i've seen a little bit of it but i can't really remember
October 22, 2008
Why is it that all the European romantic films are the best? Maybe it's because they have a far better understanding of the subject than us Americans.
½ August 11, 2007
An ensemble rom-com that requires a love of salsa. If this love is lacking, you'll often be bored. The salsa club that connects the characters is reprised throughout the film along with drawn-out shots of London roads, adding to the lethargic and depressing tone.

The opening is long, dull and drenched in a cheap-looking murky red, which isn't going to snag the interest of a passing viewer. However, Born Romantic does have an interesting set up, once it gets around to it, and each of the three male leads have intriguing back stories. Fergus has come to London to find the love he jilted eight years ago. Frankie lives in a sinking house with his ex-wife. Eddie is a petty thief looking after his senile father. Unfortunately their female equivalents are less developed. Mo is a slag, Eleanor a snob and Jocelyn a kook. Each couple ends up together only because there isn't space in the film for them to think about meeting anyone else and the ending is unsatisfactory because from all signs the relationships between Fergus and Mo, and Frankie and Eleanor are doomed, with them only getting together because they are tired of fighting. The sweeter relationship between Eddie and Jocelyn may last, but these two characters have the least depth in reality so it is hard to consider them real people at all.

While individual scenes can be enlightening and well crafted, they are never enough. The whole film suffers from its disjointed nature and it ultimately has too many characters and plots to give any the depth they deserve. While this is the risk of all ensemble films, Born Romantic doesn't have anything else to it to fall back on.
iLeo
½ July 10, 2008
Here's a great movie with an incredible story plot. Great music. Fantastic cast. Jimi Mistry is amazing in this movie.
May 17, 2008
Lovely movie I highly reccomend it!
April 4, 2008
One of my favorite Craig Ferguson movies.
August 10, 2007
a proper ace british flick! glad i stayed up to watch it
August 7, 2007
Better than some British films, but I wouldn't want to see it again.
August 7, 2007
hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
½ May 27, 2007
Perhaps I wasn't in the mood for this movie, but I could not stay interested in it and found the actors completely uninvolving and bland. The characters were not very interesting. It did have some good things about it, the score was good at least.
May 21, 2007
slow to start, but cute.
May 15, 2007
who knows?????????u could b next!!!!!!!
April 25, 2007
All single guys should see this movie - Adrian Lester is fantastic, period.
April 25, 2007
A funny but moving film.
April 9, 2007
this is a good film which is right british and funny and just good and in a weird way is also sweet and romantic.
March 26, 2007
a great feel good movie.