43% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

86% The Knick: Season 1

Bosque de sombras (BackWoods) Reviews

vieras e

May 6, 2012
A less traumatising version of Straw Dogs.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

November 5, 2010
Cast: Gary Oldman, Paddy Considine, Aitana Sánchez-Gijón, Virginie Ledoyen, Lluís Homar

Director: Koldo Serra

Summary: An idyllic stay in the Spanish countryside takes a nightmarish turn for two couples when they discover a feral girl chained inside an abandoned house and decide to turn her over to the authorities. But the real drama begins when locals armed with shotguns show up looking for the girl.

My Thoughts: "Not to bad of a thriller. Not the best film I have seen with Gary Oldman or Paddy Considine, but it was interesting enough. Your heart really goes out to the poor little girl. The story is a little slow and takes a bit to get interesting. I thought Paddy Considine stood out as the most interesting character. He has fast became a new favorite of mine. I seem to have been watching quite a few movies with him in it lately. Not on purpose. But I'm glad to have seen him in so many different roles. He's quite the actor.
In the end the film is a decent thriller. Worth watching for the story and for Paddy Considine and Gary Oldman alone."
Coxxie M

May 18, 2010
Of course Gary Oldman is amazing, but does it really fascinate you to watch him clip his fingernails, shave, and watch t.v. with a convincing accent?
Gimly M

July 20, 2011
The Backwoods certainly wasn't what I was expecting (though I'm sure it would've been if I'd actually bothered to read the blurb rather than just go "Starring Gary Oldman? Fuckin' yep!" *buys*), and it was also significantly better than I was hoping. It wasn't dodgy, unbearably poorly acted horror, it was more of a drama than anything, though there were certainly horror/thriller elements to it.

Gary Oldman's (The Dark Knight Trilogy, Harry Potter series, Red Riding Hood, The Book of Eli, The Unborn, Hannibal, Dracula) fantastic, of course, and convincing in his role. Unfortunately that's just not quite enough. Backwoods totally felt like one of those "Based on a true story" gigs where you give up at the end 'cause the end of the real story is boring and you've used everything interesting already to get people into the story. Actually that's exactly what Backwoods is like. Plus it's actually more believable than a lot of those types of movies. Bleedin' Spaniards, I swear..

There's not a whole lot to be said here. Gary Oldman's going back to his Indie roots, and that's always cool, it reeks of atmosphere, but it's kind of a non-event after all is said and done. Was pretty worthy way to spend 98 minutes, and I'll hold onto it, though I doubt I'll ever watch The Backwoods again.

53%

-Gimly
Sean G

December 28, 2010
Gary Oldman AND Paddy Considine! Need I say more? Well actually they saved this tired storyline along with great cinematography.

Watch it for free online.
iLeo
iLeo

June 15, 2008
Good movie. Quite interesting. Great cast- Gary Oldman, Paddy Considine, and Aitana Sanchez-Gijon.
Christopher B

April 15, 2008
Decent thriller that perhaps takes a bit too much from Straw Dogs, but does come to a much different conclusion. Well directed except for a couple scenes where characters are hiding cunningly just out of frame and the characters are quite interesting and not typical. All are flawed which I think is causing a lot of unfair criticism (eg. Why does the woman do such and such? Why does he act this way? etc, etc). I'm sure these folks are used to seeing all woman played as strong types who are always correct and most men usually choose the right path to make them a hero. Call me crazy, but I sometimes like when characters act like (God forbid) human beings.
hinegardn5
May 16, 2008
I am terribly sorry but this movie was on a scale of 1-5 was a -5! Gary is carrying the whole movie on his shoulders and after he dies the whole thing goes 2 pot!
Good work gary u were worth watching!
lee1701
May 11, 2008
Not bad, the one actor sucked ass but the rest were ok. They never really explain about the girl though.
May 10, 2008
Loved the story; beautiful; great with its slow paced nature. Reminds me of The Lottery by Shirley Jackson but more humane.
Gimly M

July 20, 2011

53%

-Gimly
October 17, 2013
Serra's debut is a very personal thriller with solid performances and a well-made atmosphere.
September 8, 2011
How is this movie "fresh"? Penguin girl should be left in her cage.
August 13, 2013
not awesome. should have been better.
August 6, 2013
Despite the presence of an impressive cast (Gary Oldman, Paddy Considine, and the lovely Virginie Ledoyen), this watered down version of "Straw Dogs" is largely uninteresting and forgettable.
April 2, 2013
Oldman is always worth watching, but this film is not very good.
February 28, 2013
Although the main part of the movie was an interesting thriller, the end left very little resolved, really up in the air, without any good explanation of what was going on and why it occurred. Therefore the movie, despite good acting, was really a bust for me.
April 9, 2012
I can't tell you how many reviews of the Backwoods I read that only talk about Gary Oldman. He's got a legion of fans with whom he can do no wrong, it seems. Anyways, the Backwoods isn't exactly an original movie, but it's not that bad, either. It has a nice ending in which there are no heroes, only victims.
Dave J
December 5, 2011
Monday, December 5, 2011

(2008) The Backwoods
THRILLER/ SUSPENSE

Gary Oldman stars as Paul whose just bought an isolated cabin somewhere in the backwoods of Spain. Along with his wife and another couple, stumble onto another isolated stablehouse nearby where a deformed little girl is kept chained is when things get rather heated! Oldman is a great actor and would've given this a positive rating except that his character is short lived since all the other actors don't stand out in terms of their roles! This is nothing but a low budget version of Straw Dogs, Deliverance and other Italian kidnap films.

2 out of 4
Rowan Charlton
August 6, 2010
Even though it is simular to other films such as Straw Dogs and Deliverance that was most likely done by accident.
A strange film that even someone who doesn't know anything about it before watching it would figure out that there is something unsetteling in the atmosphere of the film.
An under-rated film that is quite shocking and what could be a cross between Severance without the comedy and Funny Games