70% The Equalizer Sep 26

87% The Strain: Season 1
—— Witches of East End: Season 2

The Bourne Identity Reviews

September 18, 2014
The Bourne Identity is an action packed movie that will keep you on the edge of your seat! It was directed by Doug Liman who before this was best known for the movie GO which was about the events after a drug deal told from 3 different perspectives. Back to this movie though, it was written by John August and it is about a man is picked up by a fishing boat, he has been shot and is without memory, then he must race to escape from a group of assassins and recover from amnesia.

The story is more based on the characters of Robert Ludlum's novel than the actual novel but that didn't mean it wasn't an exciting movie to watch. It is the story of a man "Bourne"(Matt Damon) who is discovered by fishermen who must nurse him back to health because he is bullet-riddled. He can remember nothing and begins to try to rebuild his memory based on clues that the fisherman gives him such as a Swiss bank account number of which, was implanted in his hip. After getting to the bank he realizes that he is being hunted and takes off with Marie (Franka Potente) who he met at the United States embassy and they both go on a journey to find out who he is and why he is being hunted. I have said this movie will keep you on the edge of your seat and it will deliver. Starting with the action that happens between the Swiss bank and the Embassy in London, to the car chases that happen all throughout the area. One scene that I thought was impressive and is probably a reason why it won World Stunts Award for Best Work With A Vehicle was a car chase that included driving on sidewalks filled with people, navigating through small alleys, driving down stairs, a motorcycle slide, crashing through a glass door and a motorcycle crashing into a car and flipping over the vehicle.

The scene where he is driving and then drives down the stairs was by far my favorite of my movie because it was the the one that really gets you wondering if he is going to get caught or not. The music really makes the car chase even that much more suspenseful because its the right music at the right time. Then seeing the Mini Cooper drive down the stairs was just amazing, I didn't want the car chase to end because the action and suspense in it was just amazing.

Matt Damon portrayed Jason Bourne well though at times it seemed as though he was a bit robotic with no emotion. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it when he had is fight scenes because you really come to understand why he fights like he does but as the person he should have shown a little more emotion.

Overall I would give this movie an B-. The lack of emotion and chemistry between the main characters brings it down. Its just hard to watch Matt Damon as a "robot". I still give this movie a good rating because when it comes to the fight scenes he is amazing and the car chases really kept me on the edge of my seat. All in all if you haven't seen this movie yet, go check it out.
July 26, 2011
Having sat through the whole thing, I can say that this is quite an interesting and rewatchable action flick. There's something about watching Matt Damon kick-ass, even though he's no Seagal or Van Damme when it comes to fighting scenes. The story's interesting enough and comparisons between Damon and Cruise (in his Ethan Hunt role) might be quite legit.
Simon S.
March 8, 2013
Doug Liman's thrilling production and a strong performance by Matt Damon make The Bourne Identity an effective spy thriller and a compelling franchise starter, despite a few narrative problems.
September 7, 2014
Um assassino do governo acorda no mar e não lembra de nada... e corre atrás de sua identidade na suiça através de uma conta em um banco... após muitas perseguições acaba descobrindo qual é sua verdadeira identidade e o motivo pelo qual acabou baleado... mas resolve que não será mais um assassino!
September 7, 2014
A brilliant adaptation of one of the most successful novels by Robert Ludlum, Bourne Identity leaves no blank areas when it comes to execution. Action, drama, pace, story, chemistry, music and direction all work in perfect harmony. As an amnesiac spy who has lost him memory in the last job gone wrong, Jason Bourne played by Matt Damon tries to join together puzzles about his past while dodging people trying to kill him.

A simple premise but a very engulfing storyline. Matt Damon and Franka Potente are brilliant on screen and simply excel. A must watch.
April 30, 2011
It has the same amounts of suspense and astound as the film was greatly performed. (A-)

(Full review coming soon)
jeanoliviergagnon
August 19, 2014
Great story, very close to the source material. Great action and suspence. Recommended.
August 10, 2014
Turns from amnesiac assassin in middle of ocean to hero in a matter of... just below two hours.
February 4, 2008
The start of one of the most solid trilogies in cinema history.
July 21, 2014
ssssssshhiiiiittttttttttttt
September 5, 2008
THE BOURNE IDENTITY is a tense thrill-ride anchored by Matt Damon's strong central performance as a amnesiac assassin in search of who he is. It also kickstarted the Bourne series, which raised the bar for intelligent action films. There's not too much need to go into plot details, except that Jason Bourne is a former CIA-trained assassin who is nearly killed when a job goes south. He wakes up with no memory of what happened before and sets off on a mission to find out who he is and why he is being hunted. One aspect I really liked was the balance between action and drama. The action scenes are quite relentless, but the film also allows a relationship to be developed between Matt Damon's Bourne and Marie (Franka Potente), a woman he meets practically by chance. They each have their own somewhat similar problems, and they work together to try and fix them. Normally these types of movies just focus on the protagonist, but here the audience is also exposed and given insight into the other side: the people who are trying to bring Bourne back in. Although some suspension of disbelief is required, the movie does feel grounded in reality, especially considering the recent glut of leaks regarding the NSA. In my opinion, it was nice to see the inner workings of intelligence agencies, and to top it off, a smattering of government intrigue as well. I thought the plotting was very solid, and the performances across the board were very good. The only weak link I found was Julia Stiles as Nicolette, a Paris-based CIA asset who runs a safe house. I thought her role was slightly underwritten, and her performance wasn't as good as the rest of the cast. Moving on, the technical aspects of the film were all excellent. I thought that the action sequences were well-filmed and easy to follow in a geographical sense. The fights were quite intense and well-choreographed as well. Matt Damon makes for a good action star, and this movie is proof of that. The score was also quite good, and helped maintain tension throughout the nearly two-hour running time. All in all, I thought that this was an excellent action film that can hold its own against similar series, like James Bond (which this clearly was intended as). Highly recommended for fans of action films and thrillers. You won't be disappointed.
Ben G.
March 8, 2010
One of the greatest action films in history. The biggest factor in its success is the pacing, which is pretty much perfect. Other positives include the snappy realistic dialogue, intense thrilling drama, believable developing characters & fantastic story.

It showed the film industry what an action film can be, sparking a movement of gritty and fast-paced actions, which from a stylistic perspective made sense. However, the disjointed style & quick pacing fits so well in The Bourne Identity because the man we follow is disorientated, paranoid & forced to fumble his way through dangerous situations, relying on training he doesn't remember, fighting against something he doesn't understand.

Utterly gripping.
CoolCatPat7
July 6, 2014
It's smart and fun like action movies should be. Matt Damon is a great Bourne.
June 28, 2014
It's a good action movie. Turn and twists. Not complicated with the characters though. I love the movie.
June 2, 2014
What I got to say about "The Bourne Identity" it is an action thriller that is "so entertaining to watch." "It's gripping and intense." The performances in this movie is great. The directing by Doug Liman is perfect. The screenplay by Tony Gilroy, William Blake Herron, David Self, and W. Blake Herron is outstanding. And the score and effects are really good. "I'm raving, that "The Bourne Identity" is a great movie."
June 24, 2014
A genuinely solid thriller.
June 10, 2014
An all-time classic wonderful story wonderful action amazing movie.
January 28, 2014
I was so bored watching this.
November 8, 2007
well made. really enjoyed it. matt damon was really good in itl
Markus Almerud
June 6, 2014
An action thriller that never lets go. Perfectly executed with some good performances and a few action scenes every now and then. Well directed and is a worthy adaptation of Robert Ludlum's fantastic novel of the same name. My favorite of the trilogy.