The Bourne Supremacy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bourne Supremacy Reviews

October 12, 2015
"The Bourne Supremacy" feels very much like the first film. It manages to recreate the same type of great, thrilling action, while making it fresh and sometimes even surprising. Matt Damon gives a performance that is just as good - if not better than - his performance in "The Bourne Identity".

However, once again, this Bourne film leaves a lot of loose ends. It doesn't fully explain why Bourne is being framed. Are they trying to draw him out? Are they using him because he's expendable? I don't know. Additionally the motivations of Abbott, Kirill, and Gretkov are not fully fleshed out.

Much like "The Bourne Identity", these problems are not enough to bring "The Bourne Supremacy" down. "The Bourne Supremacy" is an excellent film, but I am still waiting for a Bourne film that answers more questions than it raises.
February 2, 2012
I thought The Bourne Identity was a fast-paced thrill ride. I was wrong. Boy, does this film move really fast! Even with the word Bourne in the title and Matt Damon reprising his role, The Bourne Supremacy feels like a very different film and that's a compliment. Through his stylish direction, Paul Greengrass infuses a sense of realism, engaging an audience on an intellectual level, but also delivers the popcorn thrills at the same time. The set-pieces are thrilling and very well-handled, and Matt Damon is dynamite as Jason Bourne. The Bourne Supremacy is a sequel that's as smart and entertaining as its predecessor. Really good fun.
½ October 23, 2015
On repeat viewing this doesn't stand up too well I have to be honest. It's so po-faced and serious that after about an hour you'd give anything for a bit of Bond wit and charm. Damon beating the gubbins out of all and sundry is all well and good but nothing happens on camera except for plot development, there is no character or heart to the film. I found it a bit of a cold fish.
October 19, 2015
I enjoyed this one as much as the first. It's nice to see the character return and the action is thrilling. Really good chase scenes. I haven't seen the third installment so I'm looking forward to watching it.
October 16, 2015
la 2da todavia zafaba 6/10
½ October 3, 2015
It seems I skipped this one, but I caught the 1st and 3rd of this series. Was very good all around and even Karl Urban did well in his role as a Russian hitman and nemesis of Matt Damon's Bourne character. Great action scenes with a pretty story to fuel the overall film.
June 5, 2011
My favourite of the series, though they're all fantastic. Paul Greengrass brings a lot of energy into the series, and although the shaky-cam can be a little much, it's not as badly done as others. He also does an amazing job of weaving us through the plot, balancing the narrative progression in a way that doesn't treat it's audience like babies. It allows us to join the dots ourselves, rather than shoving obvious and repetitive exposition down our throats like too many movies these days. An all-time classic.
August 7, 2015
"You're a killer Jason, you always will be." - the skin job.
July 29, 2015
A very good year for sequels.
July 21, 2015
Am I missing something here?

I don't know why I can't fully get into this franchise. I can't find anything particularly critical, it just doesn't hold my interest. The action sequences feel generic, the plot points don't seem to hold any weight, and the film takes itself too seriously.

There are some good points. Information is slowly given to us that helps to understand a bit more about what Jason Bourne is about. The information comes out awfully slowly, though. The ending of the film seems odd; perhaps I missed something (it is a very visual film, and I am not a visual learner).

There is a startling lack of humour as well. Not even quippy one-liners. No wonder Matt Damon looks so dour all the time. This is what separates Bourne films from better franchises like Mission: Impossible and Terminator.

Many people love these films, and that's awesome. If you want action, it is certainly there. Just don't expect anything revolutionary.
½ June 28, 2015
The sequels suffer from a serious case of the wobbles
Major seasickness warning
Whoever decided to fake shake the camera though the whole film is an idiot
June 28, 2015
Thrilling, passionately acted, well-crafted direction and witty. The Bourne Supremacy improves from the first even though the first was already flawless.
June 7, 2015
A sequel that looks, feels & develops exactly like the first. There's 2 years between this & 'Identity' however it's as if they filmed this immediately afterwards all as one movie - which 9 times outta 10 would work perfectly in favour (& maybe it does in some respects) but I still got just as bored as I did with the original. Yawn.
June 5, 2015
Paul Greengrass' work on "The Bourne Supremacy (2004)" undeniably brings Robert Ludlum's brilliant story to a whole new level. A very powerful cast with the mix of suspenseful, memorable and realistic fights and chases spawned an incredible motion picture. With much more than only action, this thriller is surely a great continuation of the marvellous Bourne trilogy.
June 3, 2015
Now this is interesting, Bourne movie without Jason Bourne, doesn't make sense. I mean hands down to Jeremy Renner, but Matt Damon is the face of the film. I'm thinking this is like some fillers of the film, they make this series exaggerated. - This was my statement couple of years ago when I'm still anticipating to its sequel. I was totally correct. This is not a Ludlum novel obviously, but you can tell it from the story itself. It is not as engaging as the original trilogy. The plot is weaker than I thought. From the moment I knew this one would come out. I was already disappointed. Renner and Weisz completes the cast as they are the leading stars of the film. Thus, their chemistry is not there. Still has those shaky cams but again, I was pretty disappointed by its pacing. The action scenes are just ok, but there are some parts where it is very over the top. I could care less about its plot as Threadstone agent soldiers are the targets and to be shut down instead. Not really the Bourne film I've wanted yet it is still a decent spy action film to watch. 3.5 stars out of 5.
May 19, 2015
Awesome sequel that maintains the non-stopping rithm established before and brings new elements to the table.
July 17, 2014
Ya, it was decent. Good little spy movie. It was grand for all these smart people who like quiet, serious movies of pure fashion class & smarmy intellect like this one, but I found it a bit clunky. It was a little too serious and smart for me, but will give it an 8/10 because the world is a strange place full of brash, brilliant people, that have the right to control what I like or dislike in movies, basically being not that amazing of a person makes it harder for me to understand a movie like this so some other guy who is 1000 times more positive and has way less negativity can basically tell me that this movie was better than "my enjoyment" of it, so even though I can't see it being an 8/10, since the rest of the better people do, it's only fitting to give the people what they want that is an 8/10 rating for a movie I only enjoyed 7/10 because people who are good at life can't be more wrong than some guy sitting here that is screwing with that ultra positive brilliance of the crazy brilliant men and women that are a million times better at art than me. One of my favorite movies of all time and a brilliant action movie with spectacle and just neat! I thought this movie was spectacular and was a hidden gem of 2004 and I still think that is true, 11 years later! How neat can this get when movies are just smoking!
½ June 11, 2013
Great movie. Great plot, great acting, my favorite installment of the Bourne trilogy.
April 12, 2015
One of the most cleverest action thrillers!!
½ March 28, 2015
A big improvement from The Bourne Identity. Much darker and more serious, and the direction was well done. The film had a few pacing hiccups, but it's forgiveable. Paul Greengrass nails the camera work and cinematography, and the acting feels more down-to-earth. Great film, worth a viewing at least one time.