Boy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Boy Reviews

May 25, 2015
Boy keeps you emotionally involved and genuinely interested in this unique family coming of age film. Waititi and Adizes marvel at storytelling from a 80's New Zealand perspective.
½ May 21, 2015
Not as good as Waititi's Eagle vs. Shark, but similar themes regarding the pain of absent (literally and figuratively) fatherhood.
April 12, 2015
Unique, incredibly funny and worrying at the same time. One hell of a movie!
June 14, 2012
Loved the maori version of Thriller :D
½ March 31, 2015
Glad I took a chance on this one. Quirky, but not too much so. Great acting by cast members I'm not familiar with. Original, charming, it out.
½ January 15, 2015
i thought i was like you,but im not.
December 29, 2014
Unconventional coming of age story that incorporates so much more than its (approximate) 90 minutes should let it, always feeling fresh and like the stakes are high as it wanders through its story... beautifully shot, too. Seek out this movie!
½ November 23, 2014
An off-kilter New Zealand "dramedy" by Taika Waititi, "Boy" is at it's heart bittersweet and brings forward many issues of family, while retaining a bizarre sense of humour that defines Waititi's work.

The story follows a young Maori boy, usually referred to just as "Boy", growing up in a poor region of New Zealand countryside, where he dreams of seeing two men - his father, and his idol Michael Jackson. When his father does finally arrive, having been released from prison, Boy begins a relationship with him, often oblivious to his father's less savoury side.

Waititi stars as Boy's father Alamein, while the cast of children led by James Rolleston and Te Aho Aho Eketone-Whitu shine in this film. The comic timing seems to be a specialty in Waititi films, and it comes to the forefront here.

It really is a sweet film, and one of the best to come out of New Zealand in recent years. I highly recommend it to any fan of comedy films.

½ November 8, 2014
This is the New Zealand 'Napoleon Dynamite' except with an actual plot/storyline. Great acting done by everyone including the goofy dad.
½ September 28, 2014
A very small town/country low budget indie film with a good story that is charming and quirky but the execution was lacking in all facets.
½ September 19, 2014
A bit of a sad story really but with so many quirky characters and an undertow of black humour it is quite an uplifting film. I've still not seen a bad film from NZ.
August 13, 2014
A movie that combines serious social issues with hilarious innocence & dialogue. You'll be laughing one minute then realising, gosh it's actually a bit depressing.
½ May 5, 2012
As a New Zealander at blood and heart, it might be easier for me to fall in love with this amazing tale, but surely Boy really does have something for everybody out there to enjoy.
July 3, 2014
The Michael Juckson dunce moves are reason enough to watch.
April 17, 2014
This is a little Gem! Fun, and laughter with a bit of family drama throughout the whole movie. A great window into the imagination of a young boy.
February 21, 2014
Boy is a 2010 film all the way from New Zealand about an 11 year old boy named... Boy, who takes care of his brothers and sisters for the summer while his Nanny is away. His mother has passed on and his father is in jail, that is until he shows up on Boy's doorstep with his prison buddies looking for the money that they stole before being locked up. Boy idolizes his father (and Michael Jackson), but over the course of the film, Boy grows up and learns to deal with his uncaring father and be a stronger person. For a film that was one of the biggest hits in New Zealand's box office history, Boy comes off as something a bit on the clichéd side to me. Audiences and critics have sang the praises of the film and that it's one of the finest films of recent memory... and I don't really get it. For my money, the best movie about growing up is still Saturday Night Fever, and that film didn't even really deal with the family dynamic all that much that way this film does. In this film, it's the main drive of the story. Boy learns the hard way what it's like to see your idol (his father) fall before your eyes. The ending of the film really leaves that open to interpretation, but I think that's what director Taika Waititi was going for. It's also an ending that, unfortunately, doesn't pay off well for the story that preceded it. But then again, it didn't have anywhere else to go anyway. It was just kind of done. All that being said, I have to say that I didn't dislike Boy. There's still a lot to like about it. Oddly enough, it reminds me of The Breakfast Club in some ways. Not that either film has anything to do with the other, but it does hearken back to a time of simple storytelling, It's very playful, upbeat and cheerful, but can land some drama in your lap without expecting it.
½ February 16, 2014
A coming of age story unlike anything you have ever seen! The films greatness is due to the phenomenal performance of James Rolleston (Boy)! Hard to believe he was cast as the lead just days before the shoot!

I especially appreciated the Michael Jackson references and performances throughout the film, be sure to watch for the thriller tribute Maori style once the credits scroll it's awesome!
January 17, 2014
El paso y las actuaciones son geniales. Pastel, tierna, dolorosa, cómica y muy real.
½ December 30, 2013
I was wrong when judging that they "only" excel in modern dance. New Zealand is in cut-throat competition with India :D
February 29, 2012
Wonderfully imaginative and original coming of age story about an 11 year old boy growing up in Waihau Bay in New Zealand. James Rolleston is excellent as Boy and I will be actively seeking out more movies directed by the talented Taika Waititi.