Boy

82% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Boy Reviews

September 23, 2013
Incredible coming-of-age film right here. I hadn't heard of Taika Waititi before this film, but after this film he is definitely someone to keep your eye on as he's quite adeptly combines a quirky, and imaginative, sense of humor, offbeat charm with emotional depth and strong character development. I don't think this film tells a story that is wholly unique. Boy, literally...that's his name, idolizes his father, who's been gone for years. To the point where he creates this exaggerated image in his mind of a father who's absolutely perfect who will take him away and they'll live in a mansion, wear suits and ride dolphins. The film sees Boy, as Alamein comes back into his life after being in prison, as he finally gets to see that his father, while not a bad man per se, isn't exactly as perfect as he'd imagine. That fantasy he has lived all these years is shattered once he sees his father get beat up in a fight near the climax of the movie. I think the movie is certainly emotionally engaging without being sentimental or resorting to cheap tactics, which is always a good thing. If there is one problem is that the stress that Boy has from seeing that his father is just a regular man, and not the superhero he imagined, and from the death of his pet goat probably comes to close to the ending for it to be truly effective, at least in my opinion. It was certainly well-done and solidly acted but, again, it would've been better if it had been building up over a period of time rather than all of it coming at once. There is that moment when Alamein comes and yells at Boy for taking his jacket, but then he apologizes and it's all back to normal. So I don't know, what ended up happening to Boy felt a little bit rushed, but it's still good. The acting is really strong from all involved but there are moments, to me, where James Rolleston, who plays Boy, has some missteps. I think that's forgivable considering that, I believe, this was his first time acting. If anything, of the actors who played Boy and Rocky, I found the actor that played Rocky to be the one that most pleasantly surprised me. I found the character of Rocky to be, by far, the most interesting of the film because of the fact that he believes he kills his own mother during his birth. Because of this, he believes he has superpowers and while it does lead to some funny moments, it's also done to illustrate Rocky's issues with his mother's death. A mother he never met, and I thought that was very well done. Really, this is a movie that is not without its flaws. But I think the heartfelt script and the imaginative sense of humor still makes this a great movie and one that I highly recommend.
February 28, 2012
Even the inevitable flaws of the low-budget production are winning, showcasing as they do the narrative artistry that makes Boy so distinctive amid current factory-written studio productions.
August 15, 2013
Boy becomes a man in this fab coming of age Kiwi flick. Loved, loved, loved it.
August 15, 2013
Funny .Full of heart. A must see.
August 12, 2013
I didn't know whether to laugh, cry, or just be overwhelmingly filled with joy. What a goddamn beautiful film.
August 11, 2013
This works on every level, and is further proof that the really good films no longer come from Hollywood.
August 6, 2013
Boy will make you grin for a long time. Bonus: The title song gets stuck in your head.
Pretty Much Gone
August 4, 2013
New Zealand coming-of-age story prevails with the power of ultimate quirkiness. Eccentric and charming the whole way through. That is, the charm doesn't let up even when things start to go bad for our hero. This is admirable enough. Good job Taika Waititi and company!

--7.4/10--
May 23, 2012
Another coming of age film - this movie is really heartfelt and sweet. Boy is a brilliant story about how a young child matures into a young boy and then starts to transform into a man. The boy has idolized his father and imagines his dad as a hero, but as the story unfolds he starts to realize the lack of support his father has provided him and sees that a lot of his fantasies were in fact fantasy.
February 28, 2012
Sweet and whimsical, this movie can have the audience both relate to laugh and almost shed a tear. New Zealand humour, parental neglect and a 'Boy' with hope and honour for his Dad creates a fantastic story.
July 27, 2013
/B+/ Fun and heartwarming, but also not fun or heartwarming.
July 16, 2013
i swear, new zealanders make the best movies.this was funny and sad at the same time.excellent acting.i'd buy it.
July 13, 2013
A fantastic feel good movie.
July 8, 2013
Yeah.. I want to see this one!
June 26, 2013
Will be watching this within a week.
June 24, 2013
Father-son relationship, Choices in life and Michael Jackson.
June 4, 2013
I may have expected too much, but this movie just didn't do it for me. There were cute and funny moments, and I understood a little about what the director was trying to say about some parts of and people of New Zealand, but I kept wondering where the movie was going.
January 4, 2013
this isnt really a review,but this movie came out in 2010
December 18, 2012
"Boy" is a comedy that isn't suppressed by its simplicity and its less-than-average production value. Rather, it embraces it and remains confident throughout. It is a funny and touching movie echoing the quirky styles of Wes Anderson and Richard Ayoade
November 18, 2012
Probably the best NZ film ever made. So true in so many ways. Incredibly tragic and so much of it may go over the head of anyone who isn't a kiwi...but if you want to know a true NZ classic, you need to check this out. Taika Waititi is a genius.