The Boys in the Band (1970)
Average Rating: 7.2/10
Reviews Counted: 15
Fresh: 15 | Rotten: 0
No consensus yet.
Release Date: Mar 1, 1970 Wide
Average Rating: 4/5
User Ratings: 1,198
"The Boys in the Band is not a musical" read the film's original advertisements. The film is set in the apartment of Michael (Kenneth Nelson), a homosexual who holds a birthday party for his friend Harold (Leonard Frey). As Michael and his gay buddies prepare for Harold's arrival, Michael's old college chum Alan (Peter White) makes a surprise appearance. Alan is straight, so Michael tells the revellers to watch their step. Alan's uptight reaction to gay Emory (Cliff Gorman) foments a
Mar 1, 1970 Wide
Nov 11, 2008
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
The characters' pathos and self-loathing were deplorable even in 1970, but the it is significant historically as one of Hollywood's first explicitly gay movies and an early work of Billy Friedkin just before making the Oscar-winner French Connection.
A movie that needs to finally be acknowledged -- unsullied -- for the groundbreaking status that it deserves.
The sizzle of the bon mot%u2013tossing ensemble, intact from the stage original, is bracing and fuels the film's momentum.
a breakthrough film in the gay film genre; but dated by today's standards
lively, edgy, groundbreaking
Groundbreaking, yet entertaining too.
Audience Reviews for The Boys in the Band
- Emory: Who is this exotic woman over here? My dear, I thought you had perished! Where have you been hiding your classially chiseled features?
- Michael: Where did you find this trash?
- Larry: Downstairs leaning against a lamppost.
- Emory: With an orchid behind my ear and big red lips painted over the lipline.
- Michael: Just like Maria Montez.
- Donald: Oh please!
- Emory: What have you got against Maria? She was a good woman.
- Harold: Who is she? Who was she? Who does she hope to be?
- Emory: Who do you have to f**k to get a drink around here?
- Larry: You're lips are turning blue,it looks like you've been rimming a snowman!
Discuss The Boys in the Band on our Movie forum!