• R, 1 hr. 55 min.

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Boys on the Side Reviews

Nicki M

January 12, 2008
This is a movie I have watched many times over the years and have owned in more than one format (VHS, laserdisc and now DVD... and frankly the transfer on the DVD is so crappy if it comes out on blu here, I am all over it!), so that gives you some idea how much I love it and how biased this review is going to be!
As far as I am concerned, it is the perfect movie about female friendship... another one that leaves SATC in the pale (fun though those movies might be). Casting is perfect. I am far from a Whoopi Goldberg fan (she normally grates on me), but she is really good in this as Jane, a musician and lesbian who meets up with Robin (Mary-Louise Parker - just perfect here. I had never seen her in anything before this and I was drawn to her portrayal of the slightly dorky but beautiful Robin). Both are looking to leave town for various reasons and decide to car pool to California, though seemingly totally incompatible. Along the way they pick up Jane's friend Holly (Drew Barrymore - also a perfect role for her) who has got herself into a bit of a scrape with her dodgy boyfriend.
The three get to know each other better, secrets come out and long lasting friendships are formed. The ending is incredibly sad and moves me to tears everytime without fail. I don't want to say more than that and ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen this. Even though the twist which leads to the end is revealed fairly early on in the movie, you do still kind of hope it will not happen as you just really can't wish any bad on this emotionally scarred character.
I had not realised that Matthew McConaughey plays the policeman Holly falls in love with - I have not watched this movie in a few years, and I probably didn't really know who he was at the time. (Now of course he is in just about every chick flick going). He is pretty slimy here - both himself and the character, so I guess he suits it!
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

December 24, 2007
Don't remember much about this one.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 15, 2009
The Best and precious gift ever is laughter and the miracle of friendship.
deano
deano

February 6, 2007
his road/buddy movie explores the special relationships that can develop among women. Little emotionally friendship story on the road, but sadly at the end.
Antony S

March 20, 2007
The adage 'feminist road movie' is probably overused in description of this picture, but it is perfectly apt.
Three wildly contrasting young women set out on the road after one party's boyfriend becomes violent. They incapacitate him, but a few days into the journey, he is reported dead. The trio flee in panic, and in the process get into various situations that require them to pull together despite differences.
Boys On The Side is well acted, the leads are pretty convincing in their roles as modern lesbian, bookish housewife and, well, tart, and the script does allow for some top comedy moments (Barrymore reads 'morte' - "Who's Morty?", and various sight gags), all of which keep the tone mature and affecting.
Unfortunately it does suffer from the typical Hollywood rot setting in about fifty minutes in, in which the rest of the yarn becomes painfully predictable. Relationships are broken, there's a handsome stud, disease/disfigurement, lessons are learned, yadda, yadda, yadda. Oh, and there's some cast singing too. I can be subjective about chick flicks, and this is certainly better than most. But when the plot more or less gives up in defeat after some sparkling opening scenes, they're never going to command more respect than from the already intended audience. Worthwhile.
Megan S

March 1, 2007
Very good movie but very sad. Awesome soundtrack.
Leigh R

November 9, 2006
Good film.
Sarah P

December 2, 2010
It was okay, something I'd watch in passing or while doing something else.
Sunil J

April 25, 2008
A bit cheezy in parts but it's cute and sweet.
Lee K

March 3, 2008
meh
chadroesti
chadroesti

February 19, 2007
I had to watch this with a former GF. Former for a reason, girls, don't make your guys watch this crap OK?
March 20, 2008
Well-rounded characters, decent plot, Indigo Girls ... talked Tanya into watching and she found it a LOT better than expected. I got points.
January 4, 2009
Totally a chick flick if ever. It is about friendships and the bonds between women that are very hard to figure out. Whoopi is good in this dramatic role as a lesbian. Drew is her sweet charming self. But for the life of me, I just can not stand Mary-Louise Parker in anything. I love Weeds, but hate her. I don't know what it is. The movie is sad, happy and all in between. It has everything you need for the perfect chick flick.
absolutnormal
November 30, 2007
This was a really great movie, 3 woman, 3 different lives.... who bond and share their tragedy's and secrets with each other.
February 2, 2008
Tissue time...worth seeing. Well I would guess to be honest maybe worth seeing more to woman than men. It is about making it, and dealing with what life can throw you as a female. I enjoyed this movie.
jasonb16
January 23, 2008
My wife loves this movie...I thought it was kind of blah. Not awful but not necessarily worth your time.
denisemd
December 9, 2007
Awesome movie! Serious issues, quirky towns and characters, strength and love that knows no boundaries...is just there, just because. 'hoo hoo'
August 23, 2007
a most moving movie three people just seem to decide to leave one for sure in a bad relationship and the all seem to end up living together and one has Aids and they share a home and their hearts
Darknytecloudes
May 7, 2007
funny, sad, funny, sad...it was an emotional rollercoaster and whoopi as a lez..what more can you ask for...
buddyluv87
March 25, 2007
This is a sad but great movie. The characters in it are a lot of fun. The premise is sad but has a very happy ending.