The Brain That Wouldn't Die - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Brain That Wouldn't Die Reviews

November 10, 2015
So many great ideas yet it still flopped. Just the same it's worth seeing once, if only to appreciate the Steve Martin film.
½ November 3, 2015
As awful as this is, I liked it.

Make no mistake...this movie is really bad. The acting, the science, the 'creature' at the end, are all very horrible. But the idea behind it was quite good. Failed body transplants; keeping a person alive against their will; a doctor's obsession to the point of kidnapping a woman to cut her head off so he has a body for his fiance...
October 25, 2015
I'm better for what you want.

A transplant specialist doctor has his wife land in his operating room in critical condition. He decides to keep his wife's head alive through new experimental techniques as he works to build her the perfect body from other girls he kidnaps and kills in his neighborhood. He quickly becomes the target of an investigation; meanwhile, his girlfriend's head has some tricks up her sleeve....

"The operation room is no place for experiments."

Joseph Green, director of Day-Dream and The Perils of P.K. delivers The Brain that Wouldn't Die in his directorial debut. The storyline for this picture is very mediocre but does keep you entertained enough to want to see what happens at the end. There isn't much "scary" aspects in this picture but the acting is above average. The cast includes Jason Evers, Virginia Leith, and Anthony La Penna.

"Anything you prescribe I'll take."

This was recently on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) for the holiday season so I had to DVR it. The premise was interesting and the execution was fairly good and I even enjoyed the characters. This is far from a classic, but the plot was fun to watch unfold. I recommend seeing this once if you're a fan of the classic horror genre.

"I know there's someone there..."

Grade: C+
November 25, 2014
½ September 11, 2014
I think this movie is great. I wouldn't want to live this way, but would totally be for my man getting me a new hot body. Not sure where the experiments would stop though with that guy. :)
March 31, 2012
Of all the movies I've been seeing lately of this type that had any potential of being a classic, I think The Brain That Wouldn't Die probably has the most potential. If they had shifted the story around a bit instead of just playing all of the scenes in order, it could have been more interesting. For instance, if the girlfriend was already a head in a pan at the beginning of the movie, it would have given the mad scientist a stronger motivation throughout the film... or maybe I'm just overthinking things here. Yes, it's poorly acted, poorly constructed and just isn't really very good at all, but there's a spark of creativity here that I thought could have been utilized under different circumstances and with the right people involved. Maybe that's just me. It's also interesting to note that the cut of the movie I saw is the uncut version, which features a few extra shots of a cat fight and a couple of gore shots that were taboo at the time and subsequently cut from the movie. Overall, it's intriguing, but fails to really capture the imagination displayed on its wonderful poster. Thank goodness for the crew at Mystery Science Theater 3000 for getting some levity out of it.
½ October 28, 2013
Works for sheer audacity, shameless conviction of its aims--Classic Ham and Cheesecake!!
October 5, 2013
A very bad movie if only by virtue of its sheer ugliness of tone. Watched it for about the 4th time on MST3K, and can take no more - even the riffing can't save this ED WOOD-inspired hackery. A reluctant two stars.
March 16, 2013
Otherwise known as the Movie That Wouldn't End. There's some entertaining bits (more towards the end) but yeah, there's some stretches that are so slow, and boring. There's far better "bad" movies that provide more bang for your buck.
½ March 16, 2013
Don't get me wrong. It was complete crap from any standpoint-acting, directing, script, ect. Yet, watching this in a room with a group of people made it very enjoyable. Easily fits into the so bad its good category.
February 28, 2013
This movie is plagued by overly dramatic theatrics, boring dialogue, and plot holes. For it's time I suppose it was decent but in today's time it is nothing more than a "lifeless" and forgettable old piece of cinema history.
½ February 6, 2013
This movie is packed full of that campy cheese factor that appeal to some us in just the right amount, and leave us with a faint feel good feeling. The Brain That Wouldn't Die is very interesting in a sense that is gives a bit of depth in its story. It didn't involve some cliche mad scientists who hates the world just for the sake of hating it, it doesn't involve man genetically engineering nature or anything. Its about a guy turned onto the path of murder and lust because of an incident that has happened to him. It all starts out with him and his wife that are soon to be married. However, a car accident leaves his wife decapitated and the doctor played by Jason Evers, wraps her head up and takes it back to his house to keep alive until he can find her a new body, as beautiful as her last. The plot is definitely something to grasp as there is no doubt that this could possibly happen given the modern medical know-how today. But something strikes me with this movie as it is about a husband who just isn't able to come to terms with the cards that fate has dealt him so he fights and essentially plays God. It adds a little extra depth to the character and gives a little bit more for the viewer. It could almost be a small tribute to Frankenstein in which the mad doctor Frankenstein actually "Wants" to play God.
I don't wanna give to much else away but the effects for this one aren't to bad in terms of its age, but it is somewhat laughable seeing the disembodied head talk. This movie is undeniably low budget but it makes up for it by not taking itself to seriously in fact it even goes so far as to make fun of itself at times and to do that takes a bit of skill and cleverness. I give this camp classic a seventy percent rating because it really is a must see movie filled with campy goodness for all those to enjoy.
January 18, 2013
My friends and I always watch bad b-movies for new years eve. On eyear this was the film. I think that sums it up.
½ December 15, 2012
The Brain That Wouldn't Die is a delightfully cheesy sci-fi/horror film with a neat premise, cheesy effects, hit-or-miss acting, hot women, cheesy dialogue, monsters, and more! This film is nonsensical, but a lot of fun to watch. This is only for fans of B-movies, otherwise you will not like the film. I really liked it and I think it's an underrated film.
October 14, 2012
Another black and white horror movie. Not very good, and I try to give some slack to older horrors for lack of technology and or just what scares people at a certain time. It was just a ridiculous story. Still better than Transformers 2.
October 11, 2012
Awful in the best way, it has disembodied heads endowed with supernatural powers, a wildly unnecessary stripper fight, comically heavy melodrama, humorously ineffective makeup effects, a grunting giant assembled of discarded body parts and an endless array of events ridiculous even by B-horror standards. I haven't seen the MST3K version, but I can only imagine, yet it doesn't take a genius to throw barbs at it.
½ October 2, 2012
Another B-movie cheesefest, but better than "Shrews".

PLOT:A surgeon trying to add limbs and such to other people (Jason Evers) tries to reanimate his wife who died in a car crash (Virginia Leith) by keeping her head alive long enough to find a new body to host, but she and the monstrosity behind the door are realizing their power and planning a rebellious escape. It's a typical sci-fi plot, like "Shrews", but offers a little more up to the plate in execution.

ACTING:Most acting sucked hard, but Leith did a pretty good job I'd say.

SCORE:Typical sci-fi creep score, that's misplaced in some parts.

EFFECTS:Pretty good, but overdone to the point of scary-goofy atmosphere.

OTHER CONTENT:One other thing I disliked about this movie is that it concentrated on sex and scantily-clad women for a few sections of the movie. I find that just sad, almost like one of those crappy movies trying to be something. But I guess it just depends on who you are or what you expect. I expected a cheesefet that might be a little better than "Shrews". I got just that.

OVERALL,a neutral sci-fi with a less typical sci-fi plot, sucky acting, typical misplaced score, almost laughable effects, and sad attention tricks.
½ September 21, 2012
Haha! Weird but enjoyable!
September 5, 2012
Cost maybe $5 to make, but what a demented, fun classic of horriffic badness.
July 26, 2012