The Brain That Wouldn't Die Reviews

March 17, 2012
This can only be watched on the Mystery Science Theater version.
½ February 20, 2012
Wish it could've been better. The title and the concept itself is brilliant...the execution not so much. The main offense that pulls this one down below the cult status of "so bad it's good" is the constant repeating of lines by the actors which is an obvious attempt by Joseph Green to pad the already skimpy running time of 82 min. Painful to watch and only recommended to those who love MST3K type fare and the unfortunate souls who can't get enough of really bad movies.
FilmFanatik
½ December 27, 2011
Of all the movies I've been seeing lately of this type that had any potential of being a classic, I think The Brain That Wouldn't Die probably has the most potential. If they had shifted the story around a bit instead of just playing all of the scenes in order, it could have been more interesting. For instance, if the girlfriend was already a head in a pan at the beginning of the movie, it would have given the mad scientist a stronger motivation throughout the film. Or maybe I'm just overthinking things here. Yes, it's poorly acted, constructed and just really isn't very good at all, but there's a spark of creativity here that I thought could have been made better under different circumstances and with the right people behind it. Maybe that's just me. It's also interesting to note that the cut of the movie I saw is the uncut version, which features a few extra shots of a cat fight and a couple of gore shots that were taboo at the time and subsequently cut from the movie. Overall, it's intriguing, but fails to really capture the imagination displayed on its wonderful poster.
December 3, 2011
This is not one of the better sci-fi B-movies of the era, but it is one of those that is so bad it winds up being good (well, good is stretching it - enjoyable) because of its absurdity. The acting is fair, the story is ludicrous, but the ladies are hot! It doesn't take itself too seriously, so you shouldn't either.
½ September 16, 2011
Another B-movie cheesefest, but better than "Shrews".

PLOT:A surgeon trying to add limbs and such to other people (Jason Evers) tries to reanimate his wife who died in a car crash (Virginia Leith) by keeping her head alive long enough to find a new body to host, but she and the monstrosity behind the door are realizing their power and planning a rebellious escape. It's a typical sci-fi plot, like "Shrews", but offers a little more up to the plate in execution.

ACTING:Most acting sucked hard, but Leith did a pretty good job I'd say.

SCORE:Typical sci-fi creep score, that's misplaced in some parts.

EFFECTS:Pretty good, but overdone to the point of scary-goofy atmosphere.

OTHER CONTENT:One other thing I disliked about this movie is that it concentrated on sex and scantily-clad women for a few sections of the movie. I find that just sad, almost like one of those crappy movies trying to be something. But I guess it just depends on who you are or what you expect. I expected a cheesefet that might be a little better than "Shrews". I got just that.

OVERALL,a neutral sci-fi with a less typical sci-fi plot, sucky acting, typical misplaced score, almost laughable effects, and sad attention tricks.
½ September 16, 2011
Another B-movie cheesefest, but better than "Shrews".

ACTING:Most acting sucked hard, but Leith did a pretty good job I'd say.

SCORE:Typical sci-fi creep score, that's misplaced in some parts.

EFFECTS:Pretty good, but overdone to the point of scary-goofy atmosphere.

July 28, 2011
Wonderful film! A great 50's movie! Adele Lamont was super gorgeous!
Spirited and had a number 1 body! She displayed great acting and evoked much sympathy in her role! Ahead of her time! Herb Evers was handsome and evil. I Virginia Leith was a great Jan in the pan! love this film!
December 12, 2010
The Brain That Wouldn't Die is a perfect example of what a B-Movie is: Boring script, slow pacing, and actors that make Tommy Wiseau look good. Now, the film is important to those that have loves for anything science fiction related, but not much else. Now, do I recommend this film? Only if you either love B-movies, sci-fi. For the rest of you, I suggest you watch the film on the show called: Elvira's Movie Macabre. It makes the film a little less painful.
September 5, 2010
I thought this was a very cool mad scientist horror movie, but then they kept playing on TV all the time, and I got annoyed with it. Anyway, the story is good, and the ending is great, but they could have better actors. Overall a good movie, it reminds you of the fifties horror movies.
RCCLBC
October 25, 2010
Once again...
If it wasn't for Elvira's intermissions and asides, there would be no reason for sitting through this.
I fun idea...but cheaply made, badly paced, hammily acted and about an hour too long.
October 14, 2010
THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE (1962)
½ September 14, 2010
The video picture that I saw for this movie actually shows the mutant that is withheld until the very end of the movie. That's gotta be the first time I ever saw a spoiler right there on the box cover. Anyway, I think what I like most about this movie is it's seriousness. That complete lack of humor makes it all the more ridiculous.
August 28, 2010
B-Movie entertainment. Yes, it is not the best B-Movie ever to be displayed on the silver screen, but it does its job. Perfect Drive-in movie, not distracting, but good enough to bare if your date wants to be friends.
citawijaya
May 26, 2010
I love it, it's stupid but I love it.
flixsterman
½ January 23, 2009
Lessons learned:

1. Don't keep your fiance's severed head alive in the laboratory.

2. Don't keep failed experiments (i.e. mutant cyclops-looking monsters) locked in the closet.

3. When making a horror film, budget more than $36.50 for special effects.
April 29, 2010
ESTA OBRA DE CULTO ES SENCILLAMENTE IRRESISTIBLE, UNA DE LAS MEJORES PELICULAS DE SU TIPO. BUEN CINE BASURA, SE LAS RECOMIENDO, BAILARINAS, DECAPITACIONES, MONSTRUOS INCOMPLETOS, SANGRE, LES VA A ENCANTAR.
½ April 21, 2010
A short B-movie with a very interesting story. The ending was refreshing because it wasn't just an average ending, it was a realistic ending that had a set up.

Not Rated
½ April 21, 2010
A short B-movie with a story and cheese. So easy to watch and entertaining is what makes this movie pure smart candy.

Not Rated
½ April 21, 2010
for a z-grade dud its got nothing going for it except that it was MST3k'd and its a bad rip off of frankestien. 3/10 only whact the MST3K version of this film or whact a ture frankestien film like the 1910 orginal, the Uinevresail masterpeices fearturing boris karlof and even bela lugosi and the hammer frankestein films staring Peter Chusing.
½ April 21, 2010
This is a movie that ANYONE into science fiction needs to check out!

The plot of the movie is pretty simple: a doctor's soon-to-be-wife nearly dies, so he decides to take her head back to a lab, revive it, and find another body as a replacement.

The supporting acting cast, while at first they seem cheesey, do a great job in their roles. Once in a while you will see some mistakes, but the overall quality is quite excellent.

This movie is a Z-budget film in the sense that the special effects are wierd at best, even for 1962. The wifehead just plain creeps me out, and the "it" creature is a mysterious piece of living history.

However, while the special effects are strange, the visual results are spectacular. Well-executed stuff.

As far as the music soundtrack goes, it's not bad. I wouldn't buy a CD copy of it right away, but it goes in tune with the movie. If you have ever listened to the soundtrack of "Lost Boys," you'll know what I'm talking about.

Hilarious and fun, this is a movie that is so original and well-done that it deserves credit. And hell, I'll give them mine!

My Rating: 7.6 Sliced Cheeks out of 10 (GOOD)