The Brave Little Toaster Reviews

October 23, 2007
Having never seen this as a kid, this movie blew me away! Great animation, story, cute characters, and trippy songs.
September 6, 2010
Although I don't quite remember the plot of this movie, I remember really liking it when I was a kid, so I gave it a good rating, I think kids will still like this one today. It's a nice adventure movie, it's cute, and it's unique.
½ January 26, 2010
A classic, debatably one of the best animated kids movies. It delivers on every level, one of the best Disney movies in a long time. I love that it is essentially about non-emotional objects, but gets you to care about them within 1 minute of screen time. It's the original Toy Story and to me it's way better.
May 24, 2009
How can you not like this? It's a classic.
February 9, 2008
I remember this being a fun kids movie.
½ November 9, 2006
August 3, 2012
Incredibly fun and lovable
May 27, 2011
Anyone who is a fan of Toy Story must respect this earlier film diving into similar scenarios involving household appliances. Many future Pixar employees worked on this film, and it is obvious that the plot for this film was the inspiration behind Toy Story 3. That being said, if our household appliances were really anthropomorphized, they would see it as a horror film, depicting their inevitable end. While toys are immortal, appliances can only serve their purposes for a limited time. Realistic animation, cheesy yet catchy songs, relatable characters, and a great tone make this film stick out.
Anthony L.
August 14, 2012
Disney Movie #21: The Brave Little Toaster

Although it's characters may not be the freshest of Disney's characters, The Brave Little Toaster is good entertainment that will keep kids awake, but maybe not parents. The story is cute and touching, but sometimes gets a bit slow. I'm sure most kids haven't seen this film, but they should because it's solid entertainment.
May 13, 2010
The songs are weak but the rest of the movie is great. Re-watching it I understand why it scared me as a child. Its so wonderfully dark, as all children's movies should be.
August 22, 2007
September 12, 2011
I'm with Jackson Walsh on this one. The plotline has similarities to Toy Story 3 cuz of the future Pixar members' involvement, the musical sequences stand out cool (notably the hardware store appliances and the singing broken-down cars at the junkyard), and the characters are indeed relatable. This is an overlooked classic.
½ August 15, 2007
Used to always be on the Disney Channel but I would probably roll my eyes at it now.
½ March 6, 2012
not as good as i thought it was going to be, as i remembered it was, but it is still an adorable kids movie.
March 4, 2012
I remember that I used to love this film as a child. Looking back, I can't really understand why...I mean it's a good film, but it's so dark. This may be an animated film, with fantasy and lots of songs and whatnot, but it is a very dark film. It's worth seeing at least once, but the writing is some of the darkest here you'll ever see in a Disney film. My issue with this is that it seemingly comes at random...there's no foreshadowing of it.

For example, there's one scene when all the appliances are just hanging out with some of the forest creatures and playing hide and seek. For some reason, the toaster chooses to hide in the forest, and finds a rose. The rose is dying, and when it sees its reflection on the toaster, it thinks that it's found another flower and a friend, and tries to hug the toaster. The toaster shoves the flower back, telling it to get away, and runs away; as the toaster leaves, the flower droops sadly, and loses another petal. All throughout this scene, music reminiscent from a similar scene from Beauty and the Beast is playing (when the rose loses its petals); this came out 4 years before Beauty and the Beast, so for all I know, it could've inspired the writing. Anyway, this scene is never mentioned again--there's no follow-up, and it has no identifiable impact on the story or characters later on. So, it's sad as hell, and there's not even a palpable reason for it to be in the film. Why is it here? I have no idea...but it's depressing.

I realize that I'm badmouthing this film a bit too much. The ending is cool, and though dark, the writing is great. The scene in the junkyard is really well done, and way more dramatic than animated Disney films had been in the past at this point in time. Check this film out..just don't be expected sunshine and smiles the whole time.
January 8, 2012
Made during the dark era of Disney. It's a memorable favorite of my childhood. Certain scenes I can never forget how they messed with my head emotionally. It has a lot of heart in spite of a recurring sense of hopelessness.
½ September 15, 2011
Some points for nostalgia reasons, but mostly the film is just weird and doesn't flow too well. It is actually a bit dark in some places, more so than I ever remembered. But it just goes to show that kids are not nearly as weirded out or frightened as people think. Also the songs are HORRENDOUS.
December 30, 2010
I remember early one morning as an eight-year-old, I caught this film on ITV and thought it was really good, and guess what? More than ten years later, I still do.

Shown on Channel 4 this morning on half-term week, it's more than meets the eye. Toaster, Lamp, Blankie, Hoover and Radio(I think) all go on an adventure to find their master, who appears to have abandoned them in his old childhood cottage.

It seems like this is like an 80s Toy Story or something, only with the appliances coming to life, and having their own personalities. Like Toy Story, it has a good plot and likable characters.

Sure, it has it's dark moments, so parents of young children should take note and check beforehand, but honestly, it only adds to the excitement of the film, and makes you actually care about the characters.

The animation may seem quite dated now, but the story in itself is timeless. This is definitely one to keep for generations to come.
½ November 16, 2009
Wow. who didn't love this movie in thier childhood. If only my lamp, airconditioner, toaster, radio, vacuume, electric blanket, car, and lawnmower talked to me
½ March 30, 2007
When I was a child, I LOVED this movie. It used to be one of my favorites. I still like it a lot. :)