45% The Other Woman Apr 25

100% Veep: Season 3

The Brave One Reviews

Daniel P

December 26, 2007
A rather original film, or so I thought - my friends tell me it's a Death Wish rip-off, so I'm adding that one to the list of shame! - in which a radio host becomes a sort of she-Batman (with a gun), a vigilante driven by rage at her lover's murder. I though the premise was interesting and contemporary, but unfortunately the script is grossly overwritten and the story unfolds at a plodding and wandering pace, becoming predictable, too, when the cops repeat certain details or make a big note of given evidence and thereby tell us the formulaic direction this movie will take before reaching its too-contrived "twist" ending. I did like the way Jodie Foster showed several sides of this character, though, particularly the emboldened radio persona she adopts, and Mary Steenburgen's bit part and Terrence Howard's lead cop role were both well played. It was a real shame how little this script rewarded the actors' work in this neo-noir miss.
Jens S

September 18, 2007
This thriller takes the classic revenge story and adds a deeply psychological level: what does violence happening against us and those we love to our soul? In case of Jodie Foster's case here we get so afraid that we start shooting everyone threatening us. The film makes sure to stick to targets that "deserve" that treatment, it never dares to challenge the vigilante point of view by her shooting the wrong guy. The solution to the whole dilemma adds to the fact that the film chickens out on positioning itself. Of course it does not ask for anyone to raise arms and enforce to their own ideas of the law. It does let the character get away with this a little too easily and that leaves a stale taste in your mouth. The camera work and acting is top notch, no complaints there. This could have just been so much more enthralling and morally ambiguous.
hunterjt13
hunterjt13

June 18, 2012
A victim of a brutal mugging becomes a vigilante.
Stylishly directed by Neil Jordan, as she did in Flightplan and Panic Room Jodie Foster summons her inner bad ass, and the result is another convincing performance from a very talented actress.
The film, however, is not well written. Mercer, the detective assigned to the case of Foster's vigilante killer, is not constructed well, transitioning at a critical moment in the third act illogically; his plan doesn't even make sense within the plot. What is more, the film essentially supports vigilantism without a critical eye. It would be a more complex exploration of this idea if Erica killed someone whom she realizes is innocent of any mortal sin. Also, the style of the film - Neil Jordan moving the camera like it's a boat at sea - is occasionally effective but eventually annoying.
Overall, despite all the great work Foster does, I think there's little that could have saved this film as it is written.
Apeneck F

September 23, 2007
Formuliac revenge piece ala Charles Bronson's Death Wish series of the 70's with Jodie Foster in the lead but little more to recommend it. Terrance Howard and the rest of the supporting cast cannot believe that a woman would turn vigilante ... which is tougher acting than it sounds.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

November 22, 2011
The Brave One is an average action film with a decent cast of actors. I thought that the film was pretty entertaining despite the fact that the ideas in the plot have been done countless times before in other films. The film is for me, anyways, mindless entertainment. The film is good enough for a mindless viewing experience, but it's not the type of film that you'd want to rewatch again and again. I thought for the most part, Jodie Foster gave a good performance here. The film is pretty good overall, and though it isn't a great film, the film manages to entertaining enough for you to enjoy a good two hours. This is not Jodie Foster's best film, but for what it is, it still is pretty entertaining. The story is engaging, thrilling and better than what most people would think. I enjoyed this film, and thought it was really good albeit the dreadful reviews it has received. Of course it's no masterpiece, but it still is very entertaining and thrilling with enough action to deliver a mindless, fun two hours. The Brave One is simply good, flawed entertainment. There are worse films out there. Overall I liked this film, and it had some good action bits and was a fun, mindless entertaining film. However it leaves a lot to be desired, despite this, this is a film still worth watching. A good film that will appeal to anyone looking for a decent action film. Worth watching at least once.
Matt G

January 30, 2011
Completely underrated. Great acting from Jodie Foster and features some great action and a good story.
Lady D

September 2, 2007
An emtionally charged, vigilante killer with a feminine touch, a good role for Jodie Foster, but yet another solid performance for the ever underrated Terrance Howard.

Fairly belieable, slowly paced, almost comes across as a dark superhero film at times because of the narration.
Gregory D

June 23, 2010
A somber, slow-paced, ominous-scored film that needs to be viewed without distraction. The simple premise is less significant when confronted with the subtle psychology of many of the sequences.
Anthony L

November 4, 2010
The Brave one has 2 very big problems. 1) Jodie Foster 2) The ridiculous storyline, especially the ending. To Neil Jordan's credit, it does look good but that's as far as it goes, he's a great director and is better than this. 1st rule of Neil Jordan films, only bother with the ones starring Stephen Rea!
Dean !

February 1, 2010
I wasn't expecting much from this. I hadn't heard an awful lot about it considering it was made a few years ago. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. It's a very emotional revenge, vigilante type film. Great lead actors, and a touching, thought provoking story. Well worth seeing if you haven't already!
EightThirty .

May 3, 2010
03/05/2010 (DVD)

Its not a hit but it is surprisingly good.

Its not my usual but I gave it a chance and was quite entertained.

The acting is very good and although the message is not a positive one, it is definitely a strong one and one that people secretly like.

To me, this is like 'KILL BILL" with out the fiction.
dietmountaindew
dietmountaindew

August 22, 2009
"the brave one" is jodie foster's latest blockbuster breakthru by some art-house director neil jordan with the helpful upstaging thru charismatic terrence howard. so would "the brave one" be a smash hit? obviously, it sells well but would its crucial viewpoint be taken without being misled and over-generalized as another "chic with vengence" rehash, especially from male audience? another sort of chic/woman's flicks about strong woman risen up against all the odds just like 40s "mildred pierce"?

it's a story about a woman and her husband-to-be being almost beaten to death in the central park. she survives but her loved one passes. so triggered by her anger over the injustice and grievance as well as approaching fright, she purchases a gun for the sense of safety. then some other perilous events drive her into using her lethal pistol into immediate killings which she's obtained great kicks from until she actively sets her path into disposing of the genuine evil men that includes her fiancee' murderers. therefore, she's become an involuntary vigilante partially forced by circumstances.

"the brave one" is actually a film noir to its essence but inevitably it over-lingers over the sentimentalities of a woman's traumatic pysche after the catastrophe such as the self-inflicted confession over the radio-broadcastings, and those attributes are easily categorized as "feminist refugee" like 90s "thelma and louis".

there're four basic elements of film noirs that this flick's contour could ascribe: 1. the dark side of humanity over sex or violence. 2. anarchistic distrust over the law. 3. a vigilante to perform the justice on his own, usually private dick like philip marlowe. 4. the seedy backset of a metropolitan's shadowy retreat like raymond chandler and james m cain's frequent spots of los angels, grendale, pasadena in southern california or danshiel hammet's san fransisco. and "the brave one" is about human's potential appetite of violence being provoked by grand tragedy, and the woman protagonist's distrust over the law is so severe that she has to buy a gun to feel safe, then bang bang bang! she would do justice on her own, a vigilante! and it's about the dark corners of new york as well as her obsession over this super-metropolitan that's well-channeled by her radio-broadcastings...unfortunately these traits have been neglected by the viewers, does it occur to you that audience cannot deem it as film noir just becuz the vigilante protagonist ain't male despite jodie foster has every believable characteristic of a tough guy inside her? or it's too sentimental to be taken as noirish? or it's becuz the director hasn't toyed enough of cinematography of starkness but chose naturalistic rendering instead?

still, it's very engrossing to put a woman into a spot in this kind of story as gender-reversal. jodie foster has a genuine grit in her and her "tough guy" ain't like uma thurman's cartoonish "kill bill"(a semi-dominatrix vixen in boyish pulp), she conveys real fragility as well as genuine toughness to win the odds. probably she's the only woman actress who could pull off the task of action heroine without taunting her sex appeal. perhaps, a woman in the main spot would bring out some feminine aspects to mellow out such material which is supposed to be harsher, rougher and more expressionistic to be considered noirish. pitifully "the brave one" would still be labelled as "chic flick", "woman's movie" or "feministic refugee".
KJ P

January 11, 2010
This was actually better than I thought it would be, but it is a little boring sometimes!
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

September 26, 2007
I like Jodie Foster but frankly I was tiny bit of dissapointed her perfomance in this Movie. A friend described her perfomance as "tomboyish" Thats what I thought too. lol yeah it was like remake of Death Wish 3 only that Death Wish was alot better.
Drew S

September 11, 2007
Jodie Foster gives great NPR voice. The rest of the movie is not so successful. Foster herself essays a noble performance, always interesting even when the movie is going to totally improbable narrative places. It's by her virtues that The Brave One is even watchable at all, because it really doesn't offer anything else. The action isn't all that interesting, though Neil Jordan does have a knack for communicating brutality without making it feel exploitative, and there's not very much of it. I'm inclined to believe that Jordan tried to use this action/violence thematically, but it feels stitched on and sort of unnatural. We already know most of what it tells us: that Erica is frightened, that she is desperate, that she is wounded and angry and unable to help herself. It is by the grace of Foster's inventive performance that the movie avoids massive repetition, but it lands in a completely uninspiring place as a result. Terrence Howard, meanwhile, is a total disaster. Shockingly miscast, he looks and acts babyfaced and overly fresh in a part that calls for someone restricted, beaten down and morally divided. He does not project an ounce of the character's internal conflict, instead content to ride his narrative purpose throughout the movie. He's simply window dressing, an obstacle for Erica to jump over, not a complex human being. The performance is downright lazy.

Foster hasn't been doing much work lately, presumably opting for the whole motherhood thing, but this is a disappointing return to cinema. We all know that she's never going to find another Silence of the Lambs, but I have faith; surely she can do better than THIS.
thmtsang
thmtsang

January 1, 2008
Excellent thriller. Great cast. Erica (Jodie) is a radio presenter who is viciously attacked and her partner is killed in a random attack in the park. She finds herself on a killing spree, defending herself and others in a supermarket, subway and on the streets. She has a police officer (Terrence) on her tail as she hunts down the gang of youths who attacked her.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

October 28, 2007
This film is ok i thought it could be better.
Jodie Foster plays a lady whose parter gets murdered by thugs nd beats her up as well and then from thre onwards its just her wondering around bumping into people and fiding the people who done aand getting revenge so its an ok film with a great impact i guess but a bit slow and boring
Edward B

February 7, 2008
It's Death Sentence, the female version!!! What's funny is that if those punks had tried to mug Sayid, this film would have ended before Act II.
Jason S

September 12, 2007
This flick was a little slow to really get going but after it did I found myself pulled into the story.
I really dug the characters involved and thought Terrance Howard and Foster did great jobs bringing them to life.
There was some shocking grossness involved as the movie gets deeper and deeper but it only helps to show the horrible violence in our society.
I dug the main character and wouldn't mind seeing her in a tv drama or a series of books.
A radio commentator who moonlights as a vigilante...
garyX
garyX

September 29, 2007
Jodie Foster is the DJ of probably the most boring radio show in the world and enjoys a picture postcard romance with the perfect man. When he is killed by muggers, she takes her power back by gunning down every bad guy she comes across. Yes, it's Death Wish with a chick. I've never been the biggest fan of Jodie; she's always decent, but never spectacular, and so it is with this one. She does have some very able support from Terrence Howard who once again impresses as the cop who is unknowingly pursuing her, and Neil Jordan's direction is just right; the attack scene is particularly effective, especially the "happy slapping" mobile phone footage which adds a chilling realism to the violence. But I do have some problems with it, and they pretty much all stem from the same thing. The fact that it is a mainstream Hollywood film. First, the title. "The Brave One"? I'm sorry, but that REALLY sucks in a "Half Past Dead" or "Primal Fear" kind of way! Then there's the crappy voice over that insults the audience's intelligence and the highly predictable plot, although in its initial stages, it relies on some serious leaps of faith. Namely, Jodie's terrified of going outside and yet is willing to follow a strange man into a back alley to buy an illegal weapon, and the fact that everywhere she seems to go there is a rapist/mugger/murderer lying in wait. And the ending is a total cop out. But it is very well made and holds the attention for the full duration; I just wish it had a little more character to it.