20% Transcendence Apr 18

—— Unforgettable: Season 3

The Break-Up Reviews

Nicki M

December 12, 2007
Not the best, but has a few moments that make it worth the watch. Definitely not a feel good rom com!
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 13, 2007
Vaugh and Jen break-up but can they still live together? Jen always plays the same characters. Can't see them together on or off screen.
Alice S

October 26, 2008
I like when a movie is titled The Break-Up and people actually BREAK UP! Oops. Spoiler alert. And how nice to see Peter Billingsley's doughy face again from A Christmas Story :~)

This isn't a sappy-happy romantic revenge comedy despite its marketing. The semantic misunderstandings between Martians and Venusians are presented realistically in all the arguments, especially the first one that seems to be about lemons, dishes, and ballet but isn't really about lemons, dishes, and ballet. Gary and Brooke actually scream at each other and go through a lot of shenanigans trying to get back together, only to realize the love is gone. No one side is over-demonized, and the long argument scenes filmed with a handheld camera are a refreshing change from the usual joke-laced fights that last for two on-screen minutes.

Kudos to effective exposition disguised as a cheesy, opening credit montage accompanied by Queen's "You're My Best Friend." I dig the photos with bad framing and 3/4 views because it must take a lot of work to be so perfectly candid.
3niR
3niR

September 24, 2011
Just a movie about a couple who keeps yelling at each other after break-up. Some might not like this movie as it's nothing new to watch. But it's actually taken from reality and most of the parts are really true. They tried to add a bit of comedy in it but I didn't find any of those scenes to be funny. It's an okay type of movie. But I wouldn't spend money to watch this movie that I can tell.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

August 14, 2011
This film was awful, one of Jennifer Annistons worst. When a couple can't stand eachother anymore, they break up but both refuse to move out. The plot was very boring, we all know what happens at the end, and it wasn't a fun ride. The cast was horrible, Vince and Jennifer spent just two hours yelling at eachother and I maybe chuckled twice at them. The jokes were completely terrible, because there is none, in fact this is like 40% horrible comedy and 60% crappy drama. Even though I hated this, their scenes where they are fighting are very real situations that couples fight about. This movie was boring, unfunny, and even with a few interesting scenes, I never found this movie any fun and it completely sucked.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 24, 2011
It was better than I expected!
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

July 31, 2010
A very bad film. The Breakup is the perfect example of how not to make a comedy film. The formula for this film was simple, take two "good" actors and put them in a situation where they hate their guts so much that they need to breakup, ok boys that sounds like we got a winner, GREENLIGHT IT!!! The breakup suffers from very poor jokes and very bad acting. When theres something somewhat funny onscreen, there has been too much time since the opening credits to make you like this film, ny the time something funny happens, you've already made your mind that this film sucks big time. Jennifer Aniston can be a good actress (Rockstar, Marley & Me) but in this film, she just doesn't cut it for me. Vince Vaugh is terrible as usual the only good film he has ever done was Dodgeball. Vaughn is a terrible actor and comedian. I find him just as tiring as Will Ferrell nowadays. The Break-Up doesn't work at all as a Romantic Comedy, the actors on screen seem bored. I personally think that the story had potential, but the filmmakers tried too hard to include drama in the story, thus the film ended up being a massive bore. If you suffer from insomnia, The Break-Up may be the cure. Awful film. This is a perfect example of a film that could've been funny, but instead iy failed. They could've replaced Vince Vaughn, everything he does is 98% bad. On the rare occasion he'll manage to turn out a decent enough comedy, but not with this film. This was a wasted opportunity, and everyone should skip it.
Richard C

June 24, 2010
not that funny and annoying just the two main characters fighting the whole time. D
Gregory D

June 15, 2010
It was aimed to be a comedy; but its actually 90min of people yelling.

This form of comedy was not known to me, so I decided to try out my newly learned comedy lesson on the movie theater people.

They didn't find it funny either.
KJ P

February 5, 2010
The Break-Up serves as one of those laugh only the first time types of movies, because it's only funny to watch, becasue it's all sudden. When you watch it a second time you know whats coming. Plus, the ending sucks!
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

January 26, 2010
Some great lines but Vince Vaughn is an idiot which is why he got the part.
Conner R

November 26, 2009
It's a really interesting idea and I liked that it wasn't afraid to shy away from being a romantic comedy, but it is extremely obvious that it was unscripted. It would've been nice if the movie didn't come off as a complete improv routine between Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Aniston
Anthony L

October 2, 2009
Two very unlikable people (who are perfect for each other) argue for an hour and 46 minutes. That's it. No happy ending, no happy beginning and utter misery in the middle. Do something better with your life than watch this! Read a book, paint a picture or plant a seed, just don't watch!!
Dean !

December 31, 2006
A very funny Rom-com without being too soppy. A lot of funny scenes that both sexes should enjoy as a couple try to get back at each other over their break up. A film many will relate to as the plans to out do each other keep escalating all the time as neither want to leave their apartment. Have to say though I think Jennifer had a body double for the nude scene, well some of it! Similar to War of the roses, What happens in Vegas.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 9, 2007
I love jennifer aniston but this movie has much to be desire, it has very little good gags, and is just pretty boring personnally!!
Its an ok storyline if not a bit childish and a bit unbelievable!!
movieguru12
movieguru12

January 27, 2008
Very good movie. Very entertaining.
Jens S

June 14, 2006
The idea to start the movie with the opening titles showing the couple's happy times on pictures is pretty neat. People expecting an upbeat comedy, when they see the names Aniston and Vaughn could easily get disappointed though, just like I was in the first half, which is full of pretty angry fights and arguments, admittedly a few laughs too but the general mood actually made me pretty sad. Once that's accepted the second half delivers a bitter-sweet break-up story with side characters that would have deserved more screen time (D'onofrio, Bateman) and a hopeful yet open and not really happy ending. Not bad for what it is.
Bobby H

April 1, 2008
Vince Vaughn owns in this movie. He is hilarious from start-to-finish. It was an awesome drama/comedy that actually didnt push things over bored. It was straight funny by the situations, and words. They didnt have too go to any lengths of making things get stupid, to get people to laugh, and that says a whole lot against most of todays comedys.
Tim S

July 30, 2007
Funny, but Aniston should have shown us more.
Daniel P

June 23, 2007
Banal brilliance - especially the "Swingers" role-reversal that Vince Vaughan goes through at the club... if only Jon Favreau hadn't gotten so fat, it would've been him that took Vince's character out, and not the brother. As for plausibility, though, it's hard to sympathize with either character... just talk it over, dammit! The ending is also frustrating... I don't want real life, I want a movie ending. (Very realistic awkwardness, though). Oh well, it was good, all in all.