• R, 1 hr. 37 min.

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

The Breakfast Club Reviews

Eugene B

April 16, 2014
John Hughes' coming-of-age classic is engulfed with brash stars (Estevez, Ringwald, Nelson, Hall, Sheedy) in their most pristine and memorable roles. The Breakfast Club is witty, hysterical and impacting with its in-depth portrayal of high school teenagers in the 80s. The film is heartfelt and is a great motion picture for generations of then, now and the future. 5/5
Matthew Samuel M

November 24, 2012
Powerful and iconic, The Breakfast Club is a well-filmed, well-acted, and quite entertaining coming-of-age film that is, to this day, surprisingly and effectively relatable. It can be slow at times, but you can't help falling in love with and caring for these characters.
Kase V

September 8, 2013
John Hughe's 'The Breakfast Club' is still a perfect embodiment of teenage angst in film and may just as well stand as a timeless classic.
Alice S

August 5, 2013
Ugh. So awful. I understand that the overarching message of this movie is that stereotypes are merely that: once you get close enough to someone, you see how traits of yourself manifest in them and traits of them manifest in you. Well, how clever of these teen anarchists to figure that out despite the punishing dictatorship of a dead-hearted adult.

To use a similar argument reserved for race movies that try too hard, "The Breakfast Club" reaffirms the very stereotypes it tries to break. After some angry dancing and herbal refreshment, the Princess prettifies the Basket Case to look like just another mean girl drone - the outer beauty makeover of which was the only way to get the Athlete's attention. The Brain ends up doing all the essay work required of the denizens of detention because he's the most capable, the least likely to gripe, and the most asexual by virtue of his intellect, of course. And most awful of all in my estimation, the bitter, Albee-esque vitriol between the Princess and the Criminal is all due to love/hate sexual tension? Add "Slumming It" on her bucket list and "Deflowering the Prim Prom Queen" on his because I see no other reason why Claire and Bender can stand to be near each other.

The last "group therapy" session doesn't even hint at any romantic intrigue, so why throw it in? The gravitas cultivated by the club finally revealing something true about themselves is good enough; they needn't have paired off on their Ark of Happy Hollywood Endings to get across the message of accepting people for their differences. Some revelations are low stakes while all conclusions ring artificial as hell. Polite yet volatile Andrew broaches the staggering pressure he faces from being Alpha Dog in a brilliant long monologue, but he still gets a girl in the end. Smart yet meek Brian tearfully divulges his thoughts of suicide, only to reveal that he had brought a flare gun to school, not the vague "a gun" which would lead his audience to a certain sympathetic conclusion. Perceptive but alienating Allison admits that she chose detention because she had nothing better to do, but I recall a parent/guardian dropping her off at school and what negligent parent would even deign to do that?

My favorite, prissy but sensitive Claire, speaks the most truth about high school cliques and how the quintet probably won't be friends on Monday. I don't find her conceited as Brian accuses her to be; I find her realistic, and Molly Ringwald's everygirl magnetism doesn't overplay or typify the Rich Bitch. She recognizes how similar they all are, which brings me to everyone's seeming favorite but my least: Bender, who immediately and irrevocably shuts down any comparison between her and himself.

I normally take no stock in how much I "like" a character. Even if somebody is a repulsive jerk, I can still appreciate the characterization as long as they're interesting and developed. I found myself HATING John Bender. He is a repulsive jerk for the sake of it. He bows to no authority, but he lacks accountability for himself. He is startlingly and unjustifiably cruel, crude, and crass to Claire and everyone else. His few moments of humanity - parroting his abusive dad and taking the fall for the group wandering outside the library - are brief and baseless, respectively, thus inconsequential. His own demons and criminal past are not further explored, and his reason for acting the hero isn't made apparent, so he is merely a flat antagonist, a paper badass who spouts quotable badassery.

The detention letter that bookends this overrated Hughes joint also sticks in my craw. The Brain states, "But we think you're crazy to make an essay telling you who we think we are." I, as well as the group, interpret this as an earnest question; they don't take umbrage at the possible interpretation of the question as, "Who the hell do you think you are?" so IS the essay so crazy? Isn't the whole catharsis of the movie based on the Breakfast Club figuring out who they really are? Doesn't the punishment and existential question bring them closer together (albeit in a superficial way)? Once again, they can certainly defy authority, but they oughta show accountability too. I'm not suggesting that Principal Vernon thought up this assignment expressly to teach them this valuable lesson, nor do I fully sympathize with this disillusioned teacher turned cantankerous administrator, but I can't help thinking, "Kids these days just don't understand."
Christian C

May 20, 2013
A self-indulgent monument to the cultural wasteland that was the 1980's. Nearly competent acting for a script bereft of larger meaning. Never really answers the fundamental question, "Why should I care?" Sadly, this may be John Hughes best film.
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
Quintessential John Hughes and a classic of the 1980's. Very iconic and memorable. Required viewing. PERIOD. The set up is simple: five teens from different social cliques and backgrounds spend a Saturday in detention together and begin to see that they have more in common than they initially realized.

Seeing as how I was only born a year after this movie came out, I don't have the nostalgia for it that many do. I did however, first discover it at a young and impressionable age, so, even though it doesn't resonate with me on a level like something from my own generation, it still hits big emotionally and with experiences and relatability.

In a way, this movie isn't really dated becasue of that, and the message in general. It may be set in the 80s, and deal with instances and situations anchored in that time, but the overall impact and point is timeless, and I'd like to think that that was the whole point all along.
Jens S

June 12, 2006
review coming.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

April 12, 2007
To the soaring, cult-laden tunes of "Don't You Forget About Me" by 80's sensation Simple Minds, this unforgettable classic by the late great John Hughes, gave a voice to an entire generation and yet continues to resonate among teenagers everywhere.

Plot-wise, it's really simple: five high school students who each represent a specific stereotype, gets sentenced to detention, forced to spend an entire Saturday together, which normally, they'd never even consider.

As individuals at odds and from clashing social groups, the atmosphere at first is tense and rather hostile. But as their outward masks break down - all of whom exposing frailty and voices crying for help - they suddenly begin to discover that they're not so different as they had first believed.

Therein lies the beauty of this film. For as these troubled teens open up their hearts to us and share their innermost issues, we recall upon our own high school years, where angst and constant pressure lay heavy upon our shoulders.

Whether it be the Brain, the Athlete, the Basket Case, the Princess or the Criminal, we all have someone we can relate to in this film, which in my eyes will always render it precious and timeless.

A deep and soulful coming-of-age story, which despite the confined setting (or perhaps with credit to), bears great meaning, hope and emotional impact. Essential viewing for anyone who has ever been a teen or lived a less-than-perfect life (i.e. the lot of us).

For as far as depictions go of the dramedy of youth, this is the best and most beautifully written film I've ever seen on the subject. A classic in every sense, that I'd feel criminal to give anything less than an A++!
Paulo G

April 19, 2012
Often funny and easy to relate to, The Breakfast Club captures the nature and essence of being caught within the entrapment of pressure and stereotypes during teenage years. It tackles the society's imposition of a high school hierarchy in a meaningful and heartfelt way, but that doesn't matter when watching this iconic masterpiece. What matters is realizing that you are never alone, whether you chose to or not.
KJ P

July 13, 2010
The Breakfast club, gleefully, may just be the only movie I have ever seen that has absolutely no flaws. There is always a way of picking out things from a film, but to me, it seems impossible here. The backstories of the characters are so charismatic, that when taking them seriously, you have to cry by the time the movie finishes. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this film, but having five completely different people, mixed together to become friends, is something that moved me in many ways, and I will grasp onto this story forever. Charishable, Unforgettable, and my personal favourite movie of all time! Easily said.
Idrees K

August 6, 2011
For any piece of work to become a classic, it has to tackle themes and ideas that transcend time. And it has to do this in a way that can be understood/related to by anyone. The Breakfast Club is about a group of seemingly small-minded teenagers stuck in detention, who then proceed to discover ideas way beyond their level of education. At it's core, The Breakfast Club is a movie about friendship and the pains of growing up. However, it expands into something much much greater. It presents this idea that we are quick to categorize and label people instead of attempting to truly understand who they are. If we believe that we have never shared the same fears or challenges as them, then we simply lob on the first idea of "their type" that is presented to us. We never take the time to understand what make them tick, and prefer to just assume that we know. We forget that we are all human. And while we can only really relate to someone else insofar as our experiences go, it is possible that their experiences are comparable to ours. It is humorous and well-written and, of course, emotional.
Sam B

November 15, 2011
It's easy to see why 'The Breakfast Club' is often seen as influential and iconic. it's as honest and sentimental as they come, but it's also painfully obvious to me that this movie is exclusively powerful for those who were actually teenagers in the 80s, and who mirrored the angst-filled teens it stars. Only a couple decades later, the film manages to come off as overly dramatic, and unfortunately, the fact that so many have 'borrowed' from Hughes also makes the characters feel more cliched than they undoubtedly were when the movie first released. In the end, despite the fact that there is still a lot teenagers today can learn from 'The Breakfast Club', it seems more like a relic of the past, and will only feel more dated as time passes. It's worth watching for its place in film history, and the performances are pretty good all around, but I prefer and would recommend the 90s 'Dazed and Confused' for a similar but more relatable representation of young adults attempting to understand themselves and the world they live in.
movieguru12
movieguru12

December 8, 2007
The greatest teen comedy. There has never been a movie made like this awesome movie. There will never be another movie with so much hilarity, teen angst, and such great music! :) This is how I got interested in the 80s! :) :) :)
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

August 10, 2011
John Hughes The Breakfast Club is an incredible drama film about five teens spend a Saturday in detention. These teens are very different, coming from different backgrounds, yet they all have the same problems. This is a brilliant film that not only teens can relate to. As an adult, I was blown away by this film. The film has such a simple story, yet works so well because of its terrific cast. John Hughes was a phenomenal talent, and I've seen a few of his films, but The Breakfast Club really stood out for me, this is the film that will be remembered as the essential John Hughes classic. A wonderful film with drama and comedy, The Breakfast Club is one of those films that you can relate to because, we all feel at times frustrated, just like the characters in this film. The film is still relevant today, and watching this film reminded me of all the great films that were made in the past. This is a wonderful, well thought film that has a mix of everything that any viewer can relate to. The cast that star in this film are absolutely wonderful, and this film is a near flawless piece of cinema. The beauty of its simplistic story mixed with great acting makes The Breakfast Club one of the best teen drama comedy films ever made. Usually teen films tend to be brainless and insult the audience because of their age, but The Breakfast Club doesn't do that whatsoever. Instead director John Hughes treats the subject with respect and embodies everything a teenager can feel while fitting in, and finding his or hers place. This is a film that has stood the test of time, and it's a well acted and told story that really anyone can relate to. The Breakfast Club is a winner, and a classic of cinema.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

August 15, 2011
I LOVED this movie, it was funny, had a great deep meaning, and was possibly one of the best high school movies in the history of film, a amazing movie.
Alexander D

June 24, 2011
John Hughes manages to blend hysterical laughs with tear-shedding drama in this classic dramedy.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 24, 2011
A classic!
erika250
erika250

July 23, 2010
This film is about four really different teens that add up in detection or very different reasons. At first they do not get along but over the course of day they learn how to accept each other. They also learn that people form different cliques could be friends good plot and good acting. The scene that cracks me up the most is the scene where they started whistling and they got in trouble for it, I think this film puts a positive message to it that people can be friends even so if they are different. It really shows what high school kids were like. One of the best 80's films ever made. I do not think this is a chick flick. If u is looking for a high school drama/comedy or a good coming to age film, you should give this one a try.
BEACHBUNNI
BEACHBUNNI

February 5, 2008
It is the weekend, and five students have weekend detention. Theres a jock, a princess, a misfit, a nerd, and a lout~!! ... not much in common, except for having to give up their day, sit in the school library, and write an essay for the principal....being from such widely different backgrounds and having such completely different personalities, it is inevitable that some frictions and shenanigans develop, especially when the principal leaves the room.......
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

January 12, 2007
For my money, it's the most the authentic and entertaining teen experience ever committed to film - superceding everything that came before or after it. It also turned me into a John Hughes fan and made me realize what a fantastic filmmaker he really was. Hands down, one of my favorite films of all time.