Breakfast with Scot - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Breakfast with Scot Reviews

June 28, 2012
Breakfast with Scot is not refreshing, quirky, comedic or, frankly good. From the get go, Tom Cavangh's Eric is entirely unlikeable while Ben Shenkman's Sam seems to stick with him "just because." There's no warmth between the two, which makes every single scene they occupy together painful to watch. In fact, there's aren't two characters in this entire film who have any kind of chemistry. Not brothers, not parent and child, not coworkers, no one. It's entirely too telling that Eric and Sam (indeed, everyone else in the film) refrains from touching one another until the last 10 minutes. Maybe there's a message there about how distant these people are, but the movie is so dense and concerned with trying to be high minded to figure it all out. I have nothing but disdain for this entire endeavor from beginning to end. Unrealistic, maddening and ultimately mindboggling. And I haven't even talked about the kid, his guardian or any of the myriad subplots the story throws at the viewer.
½ May 25, 2012
How nontraditional families can be formed in the best interests of the child, when biological parents are irresponsible. Both the child and the gay relationship inch closer to healthy, despite the best efforts of the closeted ex-hockey player to resist change. Cavanagh & Shenkman are outstanding as baffled parents when Scot is thrust upon them. The story with regard to parenting and the new parents' relationship is real; the interrelationships among the kids, not so much -- if only kids changed so much after a single interaction.

Kudos to the Toronto Maple Leafs for cooperating with the film.
½ May 23, 2012
I never really saw a movie like this, so I liked that it was unique. Somewhat predictable, but I liked the moral of the movie and the acting was really good by Scot & Eric.
Jason Vargo
April 25, 2012
March 20, 2012
Heart-warming, great performances, great story-line. Breakfast with Scot is definitely a wonderful film.
½ September 26, 2008
Showed promise early on, but ended up being grating, and cheesy as fuck.
June 21, 2011
utter rubbish, one of the worst movies I have watched this year!
½ February 28, 2011
First film to make my eyes watery for a while :)
June 7, 2010
Dreamy Tom Cavanagh plays a Toronto sports TV anchor who's in the closet ... way, way, way in the closet. He lives with his saintly lawyer boyfriend played by Ben Shenkman of ANGELS IN AMERICA fame. Through a slightly awkward plot line, the couple end up caring for an orphaned kid named Scot.

Scot is a walking stereotype for all things gay and effeminate. He only likes musicals, wears his (dead) mother's makeup and starts re-decorating the guy's house right after he moves in.

The film quickly focuses on Scot and closeted Eric (played by Cavanagh) who reluctantly becomes a father figure for the swishest kid ever to wave a feather boa in the face of a footballer.

Eric is a former hockey player so, it's assumed, he's spent his life suppressing his sexuality and being as butch as possible. Poor Eric has never heard of Bob Paris or Greg Louganis or any of the busloads of gay athletes who, yes, don't throw like a girl.

Eric attempts to butch up Scot "for his own self-preservation" and mild humor and drama ensues.

The only thing weird about this is Shenkman's and Cavanagh's G-rated performance. When last we saw him, Shenkman was taking Patrick Wilson's jeans off with his teeth in ANGELS IN AMERICA. In this film, the only slightly intimate scenes between Eric and Sam is when one ruffles the other's hair. Apparently hair ruffling is what now passes for acceptable man-on-man action on the Disney Channel. Dear GLAAD, is this really progress?
January 4, 2011
Cute movie, but not original. Light hearted comedy-drama.
iLeo
½ January 19, 2008
Hilarious! Eric and Sam have a quiet and comfortable life, and home, together when Sam's nephew Scot arrives. Losing his mother to a drug overdose, young Scot must await the arrival of his father (whose lived for several years in Brazil). Staying with the only relative nearby, Scot's apparent behavior begins to take a toll on Eric. A former pro hockey player, Eric is a sportscaster on a renown sports channel and hopes that his career will launch. While spending more time with Scot, Eric begins to realize several things about himself and others. Together, they create a family of their own.
Cast- Tom Cavanagh, Ben Shenkman, Noah Bernett, Jeananne Goossen, Fiona Reid, Megan Follows, Sheila McCarthy, Shauna MacDonald, and Graham Greene. Worthy!
½ February 10, 2008
This was a truly adorable movie. I loved the story of the "community" coming together to help this little boy when he loses his mother.
August 20, 2010
"He tried to kiss me!"
"I said I COULD kiss you."

This made me want to turn the movie off and write the rest on my own, I was so jealous of the writing.
½ August 16, 2010
I really enjoyed this heart felt movie. Very touching and sweet. Funny and a joy to watch.
June 20, 2010
This movie is alright. The story is predictable but the acting is good. With a better script, one that is not so sappy, this movie would have been better than average.
December 20, 2009
Meh it was ok but nothing to write home about.
½ November 11, 2009
Pretty damn good film. Review soon.
October 29, 2009
2 gays have to look after a young boy after the father doesent take a interest, a comic look with hints of drama,its handled well,some interesting momentslike the kid following his keepers ways, and the film never gets over dramatic
July 20, 2009
Scot avec juste un T est trop adorable!
June 19, 2009
it turned out to be okay, did I just say that. felt bad for the homosexual kid... what a fruit! j.k.