• PG, 1 hr. 40 min.

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Breaking Away Reviews

Dan S

April 4, 2011
A feel-good, inspirational story concerning an offbeat teenager who discovers his love for biking, despite his non-supportive father (Paul Dooley) wanting him to grow up and accept adulthood as a member of the "cutter" class. While it suffers from a couple scenes that come across as over dramatic and one of the plot points is just downright awful, this movie is still hard not to love given the energetic lead performance by Dennis Christopher, as well as the fact that this is a great coming of age story. Sure, it's absolutely corny at times, but if you really don't fall in love with this movie, especially the last big race scene - something is wrong with you.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
The essential biking film! If you're into sports movies, love riding bikes, or compete in bike racing yourself, you will love this movie. It's a great sports drama about both bikes and growing up.
Cindy I

July 6, 2009
This film really impressed me the first time around. But since I haven't seen it since then (about 1984 or so), my rating is based on fond memories. If I see it again and it doesn't hold up, I'll re-evaluate.
Lanning :

May 18, 2006
This is my friend Gwen's all-time favorite movie. It turned her into a bike fanatic. Great early work from a young Dennis Quaid. My how time flies.
Byron B

May 26, 2007
A little rough around the edges, but I guess that represents the cutters. Dave, his three friends and his parents are each unique characters. I thought it was VERY strange but also funny that Dave wants to become Italian, and works toward that goal with such conviction. His Italian bicycling idols turn out to be really nasty though. It's a coming of age story about losing innocence, maturing, standing up for yourself, and discovering your place in the world.
John B

September 22, 2007
So apparently I saw this film...and I can't remember a single thing about it. It must have been reeeeally good :)
toejambaseball24
toejambaseball24

November 11, 2012
A simple story greatly told.
Critique Threatt
Critique Threatt

September 2, 2010
Peter Yates "Breaking Away" is a tender picture, starts off slowly and then turns into a beautiful flower. It is one of those coming of age films that can instantly make film goers grin from ear to ear. I don't know how a film this good kept my attention. "Breaking Away" is not even stylistic(but who says all films have to be?) the story of four teenage guys who graduated from high school and is sort of stuck in finding what they want to do. One of the guys is obsessed with cycling, another friend use to be leading football player for the high school, another doesn't want to be known as a shorty, and another who is not so bright.

The character that struck me the most is the one who has an obsession with cycling and Italian culture. He is played by Dennis Christopher. In one scene he tries to out run a Cinzano big rig truck, another scene shows him riding his bike on a treadwheel in the rain while his father who is inside the shed looks on in puzzlement. "Breaking Away" has a lot of those funny moments but it also has smartness, heartwarming and heartbreaking scenes.
Donna D

March 24, 2010
One of my favorite classic movies from the late 70's. Funny and charming, with Paul Dooley being the scene stealer as Dave's father. A classic in it's time. :)
September 7, 2012
Enjoyable 70s comedy/sports crossover with some of your standard growing-up life lessons thrown in. Pretty stellar young cast, too.
September 15, 2010
as a coming of age story, I found this to be a pretty bland movie, but it's still relatively enjoyable. I feel like it's somewhere between Chariots of Fire and Stand By Me. the characters are pretty flat, but they're at least human. overall a film that's as simple and occasionally poignant as the lives of the average Middle-Americans it portrays.
wolverineland
July 27, 2010
I have seen this movie many times over the last thirty years and I never get tired of it. It is a good coming of age film, smart teen comedy, & inspiring underdog sports film all in one movie. It tells the story of four buddies from an Indiana college town who graduated high school but come from the poor side of town. They are the son's of the town's blue collar stone cutters and that is where they get their nickname "Cutters". They are looked down upon by the nearby university preps who see them as town trash. Dave, the cyclist loves everything about cycling and everything Italian. He even goes so far as to fake being a foreign exchange student to woo a university girl. Cyril, is the awkward but funny wiseguy of the group. Moocher hates his small stature but loves his pregnant girl friend who he wants to do right by, and the leader of the group is Mike, the ex-football star who is probably the most destined of the group to become a stone cutter and remain one. The wonderful all star cast and climactic bicycle race will have you cheering everytime its watched.
M9z8759483
July 17, 2010
when I was younger probably around 8 when I was looking at the movies I decided to see this good film and then of course I have seen it on tv after that this is a great sports film from the 1970's great film about courage and finding the way to win breaking away also started out for actors like dennis quaid who soon after that be in jaws 3 and so many other films and daniel stern who is most likely well known for his role of one of the burglars from the biggest christmas film home alone (1990) even though the film is slightly outdated it is still a great film to see.
greyhound109
March 22, 2010
Full of energy and humor mixed with drama and emotion. Paul Dooley and Barbara Barrie in very funny roles as Dennis Christopher's parents, with a very good script. 7.7/10
September 15, 2009
An absolutely charming coming-of-age story set in the middle of Indiana. The characters are quirky, but not independent-movie quirky, quirky like real people. One young man is going through a phase where he's really into Italy and its culture, so he listens to opera and goes around speaking in an Italian accent. We can all look at him and remember times when we were so immersed in a culture we wanted to emulate it, even if it didn't make much sense. The characters are likable, easy to relate to, and delightful to watch. Very satisfying.
jam233
August 3, 2009
What makes this film work so well is how well defined and developed the characters are. Great casting, wonderful performances. Paul Dooley and Barbara Barrie steal every scene they are in. Sensitively directed and superbly written.
shawncorps1
December 14, 2008
Amusing little movie about finding one's way to move on to adulthood. It has a lot of honest charm.
October 28, 2008
Far better than I actually expected, although Dennis Quaid is not a very good actor and drags down the film just a slight amount. Everybody else picks him up though, and any other flaws in the film are minor enough that I wouldn't hesitate to watch it again.
SaberHead
August 2, 2008
A film that was a very pleasant surprise upon viewing it for the first time. I enjoyed it very much.