Brick - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Brick Reviews

½ April 28, 2016
An excellent film *IF* you can follow the dialogue. I had to watch it twice, once with the subtitles on, and even then had to pause and repeat several times to study what was being said and what it meant.
April 19, 2016
not gonna lie, i was lost
May 18, 2011
A very different and entertaining detective noir set in high school, has a very cool look and is really fast paced and kinda funny.
January 7, 2014
Absolutely brilliant. Rian Johnson delivers an interesting and clever take on the classic noir that isn't afraid at times to subtly make fun of itself.
January 3, 2016
A masterful debut. Ever inch, finely crafted noir.
March 9, 2016
Rating: 9.5/10

Think of this movie as Sin City for adolescents; so minus most of the profanity and violence, the black and white, and the sexual content. But that's not a bad thing in this movie's case. This is a tale that plays and speaks like an detective comic from the '50s. It's brilliant and dripping with style, which is impressive considering it was made for less than half a million dollars. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is outstanding, but he almost has the movie stolen from him by the equally impressive Nora Zehetner (Laura). This is a must-see.
March 7, 2016
One of my all time favorites. At times Brick can feel like a student film, especially with the action, but that only adds to its odd charm. Truly a one-of-a-kind film.
March 6, 2016
high school noir--not buying it.
½ February 24, 2016
Brick possesses a delightfully mature script filled with witty banter and crisp neo-noir one liners but when push comes to shove there is still something lacking from the film I can't quite pin point. Perhaps the unrealistic high school setting is what bothers me about this film as the clever dialogue feels faked and scripted coming out of the mouths of "high schoolers". In the end though Brick boasts well scripted action with an engaging story and interesting protagonist but never completely hits the pleasure center.
December 30, 2006
Gave this teen noir a re-watch recently and I can happily say that it holds up well, if you're willing to just go with the conceits of the film.

I mean, if you wanna be a humorless killjoy and nitpick about a bunch of high schoolers talking as if they just walked out of a '40s gangster picture, you're welcome to do so, but you'll be missing out on a great film while you're bitching.

Great performances and a worthwhile mystery, give it a rental.

Recommended.
½ January 1, 2016
Brick offers a compelling story , great performances, fantastic visuals as well as a dark and moody tone. While parts of the film may be considered over the top to most, "Brick" is the type of film that will be judged entirely on the viewers perspective. Some may find it too gloomy, other may find that the dark atmosphere perfectly complements the films tone. I am on the side of those who love this movie. While some plot twists are predictable, like the ending, most of them are actually surprisingly unexpected. I loved the dialogue of the film, the way it is written and performed is absolutely amazing. Everything that is not explained via dialogue is explained through the masterful visuals. Joseph Gordon-Levitt does a spectacular job as the lead actor. Director Rian Johnson nails it out of the park for his first ever feature film. With gripping cinematography, a great (but slightly over the top) script, quick and flashy editing (in a good way), "Brick" is a great film. It definitely needs to be seen multiple times to understand the complete message being portrayed. I would highly recommend this movie to film buffs, or any one looking for a damn good modern day noir. As a whole, I think this is a great film.
½ January 1, 2016
Brick offers a compelling story , great performances, compelling visuals as well as a dark and moody tone. While parts of the film may be considered over the top to most, "Brick" is the type of film that will be judged entirely on the viewers perspective. Some may find it too gloomy, other may find that the dark atmosphere perfectly complements the films tone. I am on the side of those who love this movie. While some plot twists are predictable, like the ending, most of them are actually surprisingly unexpected. I loved the dialogue of the film, the way it is written and performed is absolutely amazing. Everything that is not explained via dialogue is explained through the masterful visuals. Joseph Gordon-Levitt does a spectacular job as the lead actor. Director Rian Johnson does nails it out of the park for his first ever feature film. With gripping cinematography, a great (but slightly over the top) script, quick and flashy editing (in a good way), "Brick" is a great film. It definitely needs to be seen multiple times to understand the complete message being portrayed. I would highly recommend this movie to film buffs, or any one looking for a damn good modern day noir. As a whole, I think this is a great film.
½ December 21, 2015
Film-Noir Meets 1940's Gangster With High School Drug Dealers....??????
½ December 19, 2015
Brick fell flat. It felt like a student film gone bad. I guess it could have been worse though if the dialogue was like Hamlet.
½ December 11, 2015
Hilarious 'high-school noir' sticks to genre formula, wins.
½ November 27, 2007
Brick had some interesting moments and it was a unique film that paid homage to classic noir films. The plot followed a high school kid played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt who was trying to find the murderer of his x-girlfriend. He went undercover into a local gang type group and worked with his friend to solve the mystery. The dialogue was very witty and its style was very poetic almost, you'll just have to hear it to understand. It was a little slow at times and a bit weird but the performance by JGL was great so it was hard to lose interest. The conclusion wasn't that amazing but it was exciting and was a bit of shocker. Brick is definitely one of those artistic films that strays from the main stream and will not be everyones cup of tea. The acting was good, the mystery was fun to follow but the film as a whole did not add up to be a great one.
November 15, 2015
It's an unexpected deep movie in its world, filmed and edited superbly.
November 9, 2015
While some may get more out of it than others, "Brick" is the type of film that you either choose to go along with or you don't. As Brendan discovers his ex-girlfriend has been murdered, he begins to uncover the mystery by working with an underground crew of drug dealers. While you may think all of the answers are given by the end of this film, I surely think the opposite. They try very hard to explain everything through the visuals and through excessive amounts of dialogue, and I think that worked about 75% of the time. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is great as the leading man and director Rian Johnson does a great job for his first ever feature film. With incredibly intriguing cinematography, a great (yet complex) script, and energetic editing, "Brick" is a very solid film. It definitely warrants multiple viewings in order to understand the full message being given. I would highly recommend this movie to film junkies. Other than that, I feel this film will leave too much to be desired. Personally, as a whole, I think this is a great film!
½ November 8, 2015
I am not typically a noir fan but I gave this 3.5 stars for the creativeness of the plot and the quality of the acting. It is unique and well-done. The acting is solid, the action well-shot and the sets have particular attention to whimsical detail, all of which contribute to its appeal. Gordon-Levitt turns in another excellent performance; he is an exceptional actor with the ability to portray complex characters to understated perfection.